Chicago-Style Gangsterism Claims Another Victim...

LibocalypseNow

Jul 30, 2009
Rumors are swirling this week about this White House possibly threatening fellow Democrat Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska with military base closings if he did not vote for their Health Care Legislation. If true,this could be a crime worthy of full investigation. More reports are also out there of other similar threats being made to several other fellow Democrats who may oppose their Legislation. It seems Chicago-Style Gangsterism Politics really has come to the White House. This is very sad and disturbing. Poor old Ben Nelson must be so disillusioned with this President at this point. I have to say that i'm not too surprised by this though. I like many others feared this type of Chicago-Style Politics coming to the White House during the Election.

My main concern now is whether or not a crime was committed with these threats to Ben Nelson? In my opinion this type of intimidation should be fully investigated. I understand this isn't likely as long as the Democrats have complete control though. Maybe if the Republicans take Congress back,they can go forward with an investigation. There really may have been serious crimes committed by this White House and some Democratic members of Congress. I do hope we see some justice on this at some point. In the mean time,my heart really does go out to Ben Nelson. Chicago-Style Politics can be very ugly and now even a fellow Democrat understands this. How sad.

Last edited:
Rumors are swirling this week about this White House possibly threatening fellow Democrat Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska with military base closings if he did not vote for their Health Care Legislation. If true,this could be a crime worthy of full investigation. More reports are out there of other similar threats being made to several other fellow Democrats who may oppose their Legislation. It seems Chicago-Style Gangsterism Politics really has come to the White House. This is very sad and disturbing. Poor old Ben Nelson must be so disillusioned with this President at this point. I have to say that i'm not too surprised by this though. I like many others feared this type of Chicago-Style Politics coming to the White House during the Election.

My main concern now is whether or not a crime was committed with these threats to Ben Nelson? In my opinion this type of intimidation should be fully investigated. I understand this isn't likely as long as the Democrats have complete control though. Maybe if the Republicans take Congress back,they can go forward with an investigation. There really may have been serious crimes committed by this White House and some Democratic members of Congress. I do hope we see some justice on this at some point. In the mean time,my heart really does go out to Ben Nelson. Chicago-Style Politics can be very ugly and now even a fellow Democrat understands this. How sad.

You want to find out how many California military bases were closed under Poppi Bush? Or maybe check on who makes base closure recommendations? And who makes those final decisions? After how long a period?

Then come back to us with your accusations.

I think many more of this President's devout followers are going to become just as disillusioned as Ben Nelson must be. Pretty sad stuff.

Regardless of what Admisnistration uses the BRAC process as a political hammer, does not make it justified one way or the other. The BRAC process was supposed to be fair and non-political and as someone who has seen first hand this process if far from that. I'm not sure if the Obama Administration used this as a threat or not but according to Sen. Nelson it's not true, but the original source is sticking by his story. So it would not surprise me much if had been. The Ironic part in all this is you have an Administration talking about jobs and are at the same time in a effort to get legislation passed willing to sacrifice 10,000 of them in order to do so, much like it did with the F-22 in order to get the Defense Cuts through congress.

Rumors are swirling this week about this White House possibly threatening fellow Democrat Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska with military base closings if he did not vote for their Health Care Legislation. If true,this could be a crime worthy of full investigation. More reports are out there of other similar threats being made to several other fellow Democrats who may oppose their Legislation. It seems Chicago-Style Gangsterism Politics really has come to the White House. This is very sad and disturbing. Poor old Ben Nelson must be so disillusioned with this President at this point. I have to say that i'm not too surprised by this though. I like many others feared this type of Chicago-Style Politics coming to the White House during the Election.

Chicago-style politics: yes.
Probability that Offutt would actually make the BRAC list, let alone be seriously considered for closure: Next to zero.

Luca Brazi Emanuel should probably understand the absurdity of the threat to any military HQ base (Offutt being HQ for USAF Strategic Command) being shut down, before he tries such a transparently lame attempt at blackmail in the future.

My guess is that in another year,most devout Obama followers will have become extremely disillusioned with him. This intimidation stuff is disgraceful and i'm sure if he had an (R) by his name,the devout Hopey Changey followers would have a completely different take on it. My heart really does go out to Ben Nelson.

The threat is out there. It may not have been direct but the threat is out there. Chicago-Style Gangsterism is alive and well in this White House. Pretty sad stuff.

You want to find out how many California military bases were closed under Poppi Bush? Or maybe check on who makes base closure recommendations? And who makes those final decisions? After how long a period?

Then come back to us with your accusations.

Closing bases is not illegal or wrong, IF doing so isn't against the interests of country or taxpayers. In fact, if it benefits both, should be done. If used to punish a politician and puts a higher level of risk to future responses, if not illegal, should be.

Regarding the above, considering the politics being played with stimulus which is totally keeping in the tradition of the 'Chicago Way', can't say I'd be surprised:

FOXNews.com - Democratic Districts Won Twice as Much Stimulus as GOP Districts, Study Shows

FOXNews.com - December 18, 2009
Democratic Districts Won Twice as Much Stimulus as GOP Districts, Study Shows

Democratic districts have received nearly twice as much stimulus money as Republican districts and the cash has been awarded without regard to how badly an area was suffering from job losses, according to a new study.

Democratic districts have received nearly twice as much stimulus money as Republican districts and the cash has been awarded without regard to how badly an area was suffering from job losses, according to a new study.

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University reviewed the distribution of $157 billion in stimulus dollars based on publicly available reports and found that there was "no statistical correlation" between the amount of money a district got and its income or unemployment rate.

"You would think, right, that if the administration believes in its theory that government money can create jobs, they would spend a lot of money in districts that have high unemployment," study co-author Veronique de Rugy said. "We found absolutely no relationship. It just kind of shows that the money is spent kind of randomly."

Rather, the study found that Democratic congressional districts received 1.89 times more money than GOP districts. The average award for Democratic districts was $439 million, while the average award for Republican ones was $232 million.

On average, Democratic districts also got 152 awards, while Republican ones got 94.

The data is sure to fuel skepticism about the $787 billion stimulus bill passed in February that only garnered three Republican votes. While the administration claims it has created 640,000 jobs, critics point to the still-soaring 10 percent unemployment rate in arguing that the stimulus has had a nominal effect.

Oddly, the Mercatus study found far more stimulus money went to higher-income areas than lower-income areas....

Regarding the above, considering the politics being played with stimulus which is totally keeping in the tradition of the 'Chicago Way', can't say I'd be surprised:

FOXNews.com - Democratic Districts Won Twice as Much Stimulus as GOP Districts, Study Shows

FOXNews.com - December 18, 2009
Democratic Districts Won Twice as Much Stimulus as GOP Districts, Study Shows

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University reviewed the distribution of $157 billion in stimulus dollars based on publicly available reports and found that there was "no statistical correlation" between the amount of money a district got and its income or unemployment rate.

"You would think, right, that if the administration believes in its theory that government money can create jobs, they would spend a lot of money in districts that have high unemployment," study co-author Veronique de Rugy said. "We found absolutely no relationship. It just kind of shows that the money is spent kind of randomly."

Rather, the study found that Democratic congressional districts received 1.89 times more money than GOP districts. The average award for Democratic districts was $439 million, while the average award for Republican ones was $232 million.

On average, Democratic districts also got 152 awards, while Republican ones got 94.

The data is sure to fuel skepticism about the $787 billion stimulus bill passed in February that only garnered three Republican votes. While the administration claims it has created 640,000 jobs, critics point to the still-soaring 10 percent unemployment rate in arguing that the stimulus has had a nominal effect.

Oddly, the Mercatus study found far more stimulus money went to higher-income areas than lower-income areas....

Democratic districts....

You mean, higher population districts? Like cities, which are almost always Democrat districts?

Forum List

Back