Chicago shutters infamous public housing complex

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Two Thumbs, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    The liberal utopia bites the dust. color me shocked

Chicago closes infamous public housing complex - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
    By KAREN HAWKINS

CHICAGO — To some, Cabrini-Green's infamous high-rises were a symbol of urban blight — towering testaments to the failure of Chicago public housing to safely give shelter to the poorest of the poor. But to the last residents being rousted from the last building, Cabrini-Green was simply home. Homes are owned by the resident.

The closure of Cabrini's high-rises marks the end of an ugly era in public housing. The 70-acre development was initially hailed as a salvation for the city's poor that was emulated nationwide. But it quickly decayed into a virtual war-zone, the kind of place where little boys were gunned down on their way to school and little girls were sexually assaulted and left for dead in stairwells.

But the buildings weren't well-maintained, and crime, gangs and drugs soon became rampant. There's a shock. Liberals built it then didn't take care of it.

Along with changing the city's public housing system, the transformation plan has brought the political legacy of the powerful Daley family full circle. The elder Mayor Richard J. Daley is blamed for overseeing development of the high-rises decades ago, while his son, the current Mayor Richard M. Daley, has spent the last decade tearing them down and relocating residents. Gotta love the Daleys, no one family has better mob connections than them.

Some resisting the move Alther Harris, 67, has lived in Cabrini for more than 30 years and considers it home. She moved to Cabrini's last high-rise a year ago from a building that has since been demolished. She said the series of recent moves have been "very, very stressful," she said.

"You can't clean up right, you can't cook right, you can't eat right because you know that day is coming," said Harris, who lives with her daughter and three grandchildren. "It keeps a person's mind confused not really knowing what's coming next."
    awww, you poor poor baby. We took care of you and your kids for 30 years, and your complaining that your gonna get moved to a new place. there there, don't you fret none, big daddy liberal gonna get you a lawyer so you can sue big daddy government for all that mean ol' stress.

Former Cabrini residents also have been offered vouchers for private apartments.

Kenneth Hammond said the townhome he was offered wasn't done being rehabbed and had boards on its door and cracked windows. The private apartment he and his family were shown looked nice during the day, but the neighborhood turned unsafe at night, he said.

"What we as residents want to do is be accommodated right and leave the building with pride and dignity," Hammond said. "We just want to be treated fairly."

I had to stop reading there. I'm certain there more of this victum mentallity in this tripe, but I'm getting pissed off.

Nearly 70 years of this shit and nothing has gotten better, so the fools on the left want to do it harder, thinking it will work this time.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    High rise public housing structures were a study in failure in the 1970's. The shame is that we did not close them sooner, and that some are still open.

3. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,592
    A bunch of years ago the city of Chicago and HUD or some other federal agency thought they'd be nice to the denizens of Cabrini-Green by adding air conditioning to each apartment. To do so they had to cut holes in the walls and stick a a/c unit into it, much like you see in some motels. It was a very expensive undertaking that ran into the millions.

Within a couple of years or so the majority of the apartments had no a/c. Some units were just broken but most of them didn't exist any more. The tenants had removed them and sold them, which was a big boom to local duct tape sales that was used to secure the cardboard over the hole in the wall. Guess what happened to burglary rates once all the bad guys had to do was kick or cut their way through cardboard?

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Entitlement programs don't work. You can't just give people things because they WANT them, and expect them to know what to do with them. People who have to earn things have an understanding of what it takes to maintain their property and because they are constricted by their budget, cannot get into a mess buying things that they can't keep up.

Here a few years ago, the DEQ and various establishments decided it would be a good idea to get rid of troublesome wood stoves and replace them with monitor oil stoves.

Well that's just great...except the people they targeted were the poorest of the poor. They yanked out the wood stoves - and most people around here can find something to burn in a wood stove to keep warm...and put in these nice oil stoves. Which require both electricity and oil to run. Then oil and electricity both jumped exponentially. I have one of the higher paying jobs in my county, and I don't run mine. It's ridiculous...I'd pay over $300 for heat. But I don't have a wood stove for back up..and neither do most of the poor, disabled, and elderly in my community. When the electricity goes out, they go cold. When they don't have money for oil, they're cold. It's criminal.

5. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Why am I not surprised?

My Dad knew someone that built a tenament highrise, he truly wanted to help the poor, and made sure they got the best that he could afford.

About 2 months after it opened he was sued by the tenants b/c they didn't have working toilets or sinks.

The had sold all the faucets and ripped the copper piping out of the walls.

He lost the suit, but had the placed condemed instead of paying to fix, what he now knew, would just be broken.

6. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Cabrini Green was horrible, it was notorious for crime. That projects was filled with criminals taking advantage of the innocent people that did live there, it should have been closed long ago. The thing is closing the projects down does nothing but move the criminal elements to other places and the crime rates will escalate in the areas they do move to unfortunatly, I've seen this happen in Los Angeles and other places when they closed their projects.

7. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Thats life in the projects, its another world in there. I been to some apartments in the projects that were decked out in nice carpets with new furniture, televisions, fish bowls etc and than I went into some that made you feel like you were in Haiti. Those people are so desperate they don't know how to act when someone tries to do something nice for them.

8. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I thought they had pulled the plug on the CG a while back....:eusa_eh:

oops I see it the last high rise goes down in Jan.....

epic fail. people will not be engineered like blocks of wood ....so where are the gov.central planners, academics, intellectuals and innocently ignorant do gooders who pushed this nonsense now? Exactly..........thats why we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    We need to let people be. They are not plants that need constant tending. I have always felt that if you offered just enough to live, but plenty of help on how to get out, things like this would thin out [poverty will never end]. And then those people would be able to have the pride to say they made it, they did it. When they went home they would go to thier home, when they ate, they were eating thier food, bought by them.

but hey, why bother trying to instill pride when we can pay to move the criminals to a nicer part of town.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    wasn't always.