Chicago Man Sues after Prostitution Arrest

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Chicago-Man-Sues-after-Prostitution-Arrest/1$37624
Chicago Man Sues after Prostitution Arrest

Updated: September 13th, 2007 02:17 PM EDT

Story by nbc5.com

CHICAGO --

It was Rocio Palacios who first noticed the woman who appeared to need help.

It was 8 a.m. when she and her husband, Erasmo, dropped their 6-year-old daughter off at school and had picked up their 22-year-old daughter to go out for breakfast when they saw the woman waving her arms at 53rd Street and Kedzie Avenue last November.

The Palacioses, of Chicago, claim the woman approached their car, parked outside Manolo's restaurant, leaned in to the passenger side where Rocio was sitting and asked Erasmo if he wanted oral sex for $20 or sex for $25.

The couple laughed, realizing this wasn’t a woman in distress after all.

But within seconds, Chicago police swarmed the family car, hauling Erasmo Palacios out in handcuffs. He was charged with solicitation of a prostitute

His daughter, who had just run in to exchange her coffee for a hot chocolate, screamed, while his wife cried in fear.

Eight hours later, Palacios, who has no criminal record, was released from custody. And weeks later, charges against him were dropped.

Now, Erasmo Palacios is suing the city and the officers involved in his arrest, saying they violated his civil rights during an incident he described as both frightening and ridiculous.

“I'm so lucky I was with my wife -- imagine if I had to try to tell her and she wasn't with me,” he said, before laughing at the image. “She'd never believe me. Never.”

A Chicago police report offers few details, saying only that it was Erasmo Palacios who asked for sex, never mentioning his wife in the car or his daughter nearby.

Attorneys Lonny Ben Ogus and Joe Cavanaugh also want to know what happened to the family's 1983 Mercedes. It was impounded that November day and, Palacios said, his wife and daughter were even threatened with arrest as they tried to stop police from taking it, as they were left stranded that morning.

The city wants more than $4,700 in towing and storage fees if he wants the car back.

City officials declined to comment on the status of the family's car and the Palacios case, while the undercover female officer involved in the arrest couldn't be reached.

Copyright 2007, Sun-Times News Group

A Chicago police report offers few details, saying only that it was Erasmo Palacios who asked for sex, never mentioning his wife in the car or his daughter nearby.

Attorneys Lonny Ben Ogus and Joe Cavanaugh also want to know what happened to the family's 1983 Mercedes. It was impounded that November day and, Palacios said, his wife and daughter were even threatened with arrest as they tried to stop police from taking it, as they were left stranded that morning.

The city wants more than $4,700 in towing and storage fees if he wants the car back.

City officials declined to comment on the status of the family's car and the Palacios case, while the undercover female officer involved in the arrest couldn't be reached.

Are you friggin' kidding me???

A guy with his wife and daughter with him asked for sex with a prostitute??? That's the story the cops are really sticking with??? Do cops just think we're so stupid and they're so above reproach that we'll buy anything these days? I know there is a small contingent of Americans who still buy anything a cops says.. but most of us can smell BS when in the pasture.

AND the city wants to charge him $5k for taking his car from him?!?!?! These people are insane.

I hope this guy takes them to the cleaners.

This is going to get interesting if it's not sorted out by a settlement in the corridor of the court.

In any case, arresting a bloke for soliciting a prostitute is really over the top. They could have just written him up and summonsed him, no need for an arrest.

I don't support the arrest, but I don't know if he deserves big cash for that. If every arrest that didn't lead to a conviction were grounds for a civil suit, police activity would either need to cease tomorrow or we'd go bankrupt.

New Topics

Forum List

Back