Chicago Man Faces Criminal Trial For Taking Jewish Daughter To Church

Conspiracist

Snuggle weather rocks!
Jan 6, 2010
Monkey Island
Rebecca Reyes opened an e-mail from her estranged husband in November to learn to her shock that he had their 3-year-old daughter baptized in the Catholic Church even though she said the couple, in happier times, had agreed to raise her in the Jewish faith.

What happened over the next few months brought the couple's private battles into the open and raises questions about how far the court system can — or should — go in dictating what faith separated parents teach their children.

Interfaith divorce: War over child’s religion - chicagotribune.com

This looks like a doozy!

He is an idiot, and my question is, how did she get baptised by the church without both parent's approval.

-TSO

I am not Catholic but I coulda swore that was how it was supposed to be.

My concern actually was the judge saying that the child can only be subjected to the Jewish religion. Sounds wishy washy to me. I also heard on a radio talk show the judge is Jewish. I don't know for sure though.

I'm a bit torn on the issue. I do see this as crossing the line of sepeation of church and state, but I do not know all of the facts, so it's hard to just come out against the court making this call.

It should be left to the parents, but if it can't be resolved, where are they to go? Maybe the court should force a mediator to get involved in resolving this issue. I have a problem with a judge making the call.

-TSO

Regardless of her eventual faith, it should not be a criminal matter

I'm a bit torn on the issue. I do see this as crossing the line of sepeation of church and state, but I do not know all of the facts, so it's hard to just come out against the court making this call.

It should be left to the parents, but if it can't be resolved, where are they to go? Maybe the court should force a mediator to get involved in resolving this issue. I have a problem with a judge making the call.

-TSO

Yah, a mediator might be the way to go. Nice shot there. I don't want a judge making that decision either.

He is an idiot, and my question is, how did she get baptised by the church without both parent's approval.

-TSO

I am not Catholic but I coulda swore that was how it was supposed to be.

My concern actually was the judge saying that the child can only be subjected to the Jewish religion. Sounds wishy washy to me. I also heard on a radio talk show the judge is Jewish. I don't know for sure though.

BECAUSE its a legal thing. There was no joint custody. The mother had sole custody and the father had visitation rights. The mother has the sole right to pick the religion of the child under those circumstances. Nevertheless, even if he did have sole custody, there is a presumption of sticking with the religion that the child had while the marriage was going on. During the marriage, the father even converted himself to Judaism and they raised their child Jewish during the marriage. The presumption survives the marriage.

The father might have royally screwed himself. He might have lost his visitation rights or might have supervised visitation (which SUCK).

I feel for the child, because this wasn't about religion, rather it was the father trying to get back at his ex-wife by using his child. The courts don't look to fondly on that.

-TSO

You are torn because you haven't read the law on these issue!

Its much like schooling. The father who doesn't have joint custody can't forbid the sole custody parent from moving a child from (or to) private to public school.

Forum List

Back