Chicago Lawyer Keys Soon To Be Deployed Marine's Car

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Annie, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Unreal. Something will probably get done here, his website is now down and business phones disconnected, I guess it won't just be 'the kid not getting off easy...'

The comments are pretty good.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/12/anti-military-l.html

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    File a hate crime charge against the lawyer.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That sounds possible. Matthew Currier Burden is pretty big in Chicago. He's 'Blackfive'. His book, "The Blog of War" did quite well. He's been on local programs, CNN, C-Span, PBS. He's got connections at University of Chicago.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hate crime charge? Maybe you could do it. I think hate crime laws are bad law for the most part.

For hate crime in Illinois the victim has to be targeted because of one of the following:

"actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin"

What fits in this case? Creed? Seems like a stretch.

5. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Of course the best solution would have been for the Marine to beat the lawyer into a coma. But, as I said above, one must use the tools available.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    It's not a hate crime because to be a hate crime, the victim has to be a member of a suspect class...

the guy deserves some jail time, though. they should preserve the marine's testimony on video tape or let him testify by telephone from whereever he's deployed.

But I don't believe for a second that the DA's office said it would be difficult to collect a judgment from the guy "because he's a lawyer". You grab his bank account after getting a judgment against him. But that would be after a civil suit or an order for restitution. Guy's actual damages are, arguably, $100 though, which is why the D.A. can't be bothered.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Perhaps the military should be a 'protected class'? Just a thought.

Needless to say, if said lawyer was found guilty, the only motive was the military license, that was a vanity plate. Seems to be a violation of the service member's freedom of speech. I know that if I went around keying cars that had a countdown til GW was out of office or some other bumper sticker I disagreed with, I would expect I was going to pay damages and probably more.

Why should the victim's insurance company pick up the tab for vandalism? The $100 was the deductible, the damages were estimated at $2400. Seems though that the statute of limitations has exceptions for those serving in the military. I'm not going to be surprised to find this on talk radio this morning and in the papers tomorrow, (meaning New Year's).

8. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That isn't necessarily the case. The hate crime law in Illinois covers things like color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, and mental and physical disabilities. Those are not suspect classifications. Gender is a quasi-suspect classification I think, I'm not sure the others even amount to that. The coverage of hate crime laws are defined by individual state legislatures. I think of suspect classifications more in terms of Constitutional protections.

But I still think hate crime laws are bad laws.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    It is to the extent that race, gender and sexual orientation form the basis of hate crimes, which is what I meant. And, yes, the term itself has to do with constitutional protections insofar as if legislation impacts on a suspect class or a fundamental right, it will be subjected to greater scrutiny. If not, it will be upheld if the legislation is rationally related to a legitimate governmental interest.

Just so you know, I have no problem with hate crime laws. I'm wondering why you do.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do too, have a problem with hate crime laws I mean. There is no reason for the special connotation, from my understanding the judge can add time for special circumstances, if the sentence is not long enough.