Chicago gets it very wrong

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Chicago Creates a Nativity Scene by Natalie Finn
Tue Nov 28, 2:11 PM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Just when Wal-Mart was finally going to be wishing shoppers a "Merry Christmas" again, rather than saying "Happy Holidays," Chicago officials have decided to make a downtown Christmas festival a little less Christian.

Concerned that ads for the upcoming Xmas-themed film The Nativity Story might alienate non-Christians, city officials asked the organizers of the German Christkindlmarket to drop New Line Cinema as a sponsor this year.

A spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events said that the city of Chicago did not want to appear to be endorsing one religion over another, and that there would still be a nativity scene set up in Daley Plaza—along with a Hanukah menorah and other religious symbolism—and items for sale related to baby Jesus' birth.

"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals and holding events on Daley Plaza," Mayor's Office executive director Jim Law said in a statement.

According to studio executive Christina Kounelias, New Line had planned to spend $12,000 in advertising at the festival as part of its nationwide Nativity Story campaign, which includes screening clips of the movie. Kounelias told the Associated Press that, as far as she knew, this was the only instance in which the studio's sponsorship was turned down.

"One would assume that if [people] were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

Echoing Kounelias' sentiments was Paul Braoudakis, a spokesman for the Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations in Illinois.

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," Braoudakis told the AP. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."

Or, according to the Parents Television Council, whose job would be made easier if all TV and film pregnancies were achieved by Immaculate Conception, Chicago's stance is one of "anti-religious bigotry."

"What we haven't seen in decades from Hollywood is a reverent recounting of the birth of Jesus," PTC president Brent Bozell said in a statement Tuesday. "The New Line studio is filling that void with its new movie The Nativity Story, which simply retells the story of the first Christmas.

"The City of Chicago's decision not to be associated with a film like The Nativity Story is a form of anti-religious bigotry and indirect censorship. It is ludicrous that the city would blatantly attack a movie that will be exceptionally well-received by millions of people in and around Chicago, most of whom are members of one Christian denomination or another."

The American Center for Law and Justice said Tuesday that Christkindlmarket organizers and Chicago officials should definitely rethink their decision to ban The Nativity Story promos.

"To suggest that a movie about the birth of Jesus Christ should not be included in a Christmas festival is absurd," Jay Sekulow, the ACLJ's chief counsel, said. "This transcends political correctness and centers squarely on religious bigotry…The city and festival organizers must respect the First Amendment and put an end to the discriminatory practices."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20061128/en_industry_eo/cdc5f955-9fbf-470b-b800-b4d688a0fb5a

How in the hell can you 'alienate a non-Christian'? If you're not a Christian, then you can't be ALIENATED! If you don't believe in Christ, DON'T WATCH IT! Because the birth of Christ is what Christmas is about. Participate in the holiday or not. It's your choice.

I fully agree with the last statement, this is beyond P.C., it's out and out religous bigotry, and just another knife thrown at the back of Christianity.

The one statement I'm in most disagreement with in the Bible is to turn the other cheek. Screw that. Christians shouldn't take any of this. They should fight back.

No with freedom of religion you forget what our country was founded on and you support other types of religious views because there is a slight chance others might get offended if you don't.:ali: And then use the excuse of capitolism:gay:

No with freedom of religion you forget what our country was founded on and you support other types of religious views because there is a slight chance others might get offended if you don't.:ali: And then use the excuse of capitolism:gay:

Support your own religon. I'll support mine. On the flip side of that coin, don't knock my religon, and I won't knock yours.

Offend someone? Fuck'em. I don't care.

Support your own religon. I'll support mine. On the flip side of that coin, don't knock my religon, and I won't knock yours.

Offend someone? Fuck'em. I don't care.

I agree but something in our country is seriously wrong here. See I know a lot of folk and the folks on this board have all said the same damn thing. So why is it these government officials can't get it? Because they ain't doing us any favors by starting trouble. Unless they are afraid of the ACLU? or are we that desparate for news?

FROM THE ARTICLE:

A spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events said that the city of Chicago did not want to appear to be endorsing one religion over another, and that there would still be a nativity scene set up in Daley Plaza—along with a Hanukah menorah and other religious symbolism—and items for sale related to baby Jesus' birth.

I have no problem with that. The Chicago area has very large Jewish and Hindu populations. Would these communities be offended? Probably not, but you never know who is going to file a lawsuit. All it takes is one opportunistic individual. No city wants to be engaged in a public suit about religion and the holidays--it is just too messy of a subject to gamble on.

I wish I could spend the holiays in Earth's greatest city...oh well.

I agree but something in our country is seriously wrong here. See I know a lot of folk and the folks on this board have all said the same damn thing. So why is it these government officials can't get it? Because they ain't doing us any favors by starting trouble. Unless they are afraid of the ACLU? or are we that desparate for news?

Why the hell don't government officials do the will of the poeple... hmmmm... damn good question 90K. Let me know when you get an answer... LOL!

FROM THE ARTICLE:

I have no problem with that. The Chicago area has very large Jewish and Hindu populations. Would these communities be offended? Probably not, but you never know who is going to file a lawsuit. All it takes is one opportunistic individual. No city wants to be engaged in a public suit about religion and the holidays--it is just too messy of a subject to gamble on.

Of course you don't have a problem with it; which, confirms the fact that it is ass-kissing, PC bullshit.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

You and the liberal media are at war with Christmas and Christians

Couric Worries in 'Divided' Nation 'Non-Believers May Feel Excluded' by Spiritual Films
Posted by Brent Baker on December 4, 2006 - 20:57.
In the midst of an otherwise positive story Monday night about the “revival” of religiously-inspired movies, such as The Nativity Story and Facing the Giants, CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric saw a dark side. She pressed Catherine Hardwicke, director of The Nativity Story and Mike Rich, the film's screenwriter: "Do you worry at all that non-believers may feel excluded and diminished at a time when we're so divided about so much?" As if there's a dearth of non-spiritual films for people to see. Has anyone at CBS News ever worried about how the faithful feel “excluded” and “diminished” by multiplexes playing only violent and sexually-explicit films, to say nothing of the many which include scenes ridiculing the faithful or portraying religious figures as criminals?

The CBSNews.com online version of the story has this text in place of Couric's question: “But what if you don't believe? That was Chicago Mayor Richard Daly's concern last week when he banned ads for The Nativity Story from the city's annual Christmas festival.” A “Christmas” festival without the very story on which it is based!

A transcript of the last story on the December 4 CBS Evening News:

Katie Couric, after a clip of Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments: “Back in the 1950s, no one needed Cecil B. DeMille to tell him the oldest stories make for great movies. Then Bible epics dried up for a few decades, but now they're back. Call it a revival. There's a new gospel according to Hollywood where the prophet speaketh. It was a Vatican first: Thousands of the faithful gathering, not for an audience with the Pope, but for a movie premiere: The Nativity Story about Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem.”

Catherine Hardwicke, director of The Nativity Story: "This little girl, after she saw the movie, she said 'Mary speaks!' She always thought of her as a little statue, and not a human."

Couric: “Screenwriter Mike Rich says there was a time when getting the green light for the film would have been a miracle.”

Couric to Rich: “You said, that if I had come up with this concept five years ago it never would have gotten made. What's changed in your view?”

Rich: “Well, I think Passion of the Christ changed the landscape a little bit. The phenomenal success of that film, I think, it opened the door." .

Couric: “Mel Gibson's 2004 blockbuster, The Passion of the Christ, earned a staggering $1 billion in box office and DVD sales. Since then, Hollywood studios have been saying, 'lights, camera, Alleluia!'"

Stephen Feldstein, Fox Faith: "God's enjoying a renaissance in Hollywood.”

Couric: “Steven Feldstein is a Vice President with a new division of 20th Century Fox called 'Fox Faith.' But he admits it's less about belief and more about the bottom line.”

Feldstein: "It is a significant market. We as a studio, we're in the business of entertainment. It's not our job, or it's not our business to preach or proselytize."

Couric: “But 2,300 miles from Hollywood, at the Sherwood Baptist Church in southern Georgia, they have move the sermon to the big screen. Baptist minister Alex Kendrick directed and stars in Facing the Giants about a Christian high school football coach's struggles on and off the field.”

Coach in movie: “If we win, we praise him, and if we lose, we praise him.”

Couric: “It was made for $100,000 and has grossed almost $10 million.”

Alex Kendrick: “There's a large part of America that shares our faith and values and that longs to see something that they can take their kids to, that they believe in.”

Couric to Catherine Hardwicke, director of The Nativity Story and Mike Rich, the movie's screenwriter: “Do you worry at all that non-believers may feel excluded and diminished at a time when we're so divided about so much?”

Mike Rich: “I think you run that risk if you isolate yourself in your approach to either one faith or just the faith-based audience. And I think there is a place for these stories, stories about faith, inspirational stories, spirit of the heart. I think there's going to be a place for those for quite some time.”

Couric: “The Nativity Story grossed $8 million over the weekend, and its creators are hoping it resonates even more as the day it depicts approaches."

http://newsbusters.org/node/9445

Forum List

Back