Chicago Finds Disgusting Way To Save Cash

Barbaric? No. Hysterical whining by Maddie? Yes.

I see, so poor people are not entitled to any decency in burial? Stored for up to 42 months until they "have enough" carcasses collected seem okay to you? Buried in trenches?

You are a heartless ass, CG.

Or...perhaps I just see things differently to you. No, that can't be right.... I must be a 'heartless ass' because I am not overly concerned with the physical remains of a shell. When I die, they can do whatever they want with my body.... actually, I kind of fancy donating my remains to the 'Body Farm'.... it's just a shell.... it's meaningless. What matters is the memory of the person who died.... not some shell.
While I agree that my dead body will be a useless shell, I respect that a burial is important for a large segment of society. A degree of respect is due to all deceased and the proper handling of remains seems like a poor choice for cost cutting.

I keep trying to convince my wife that when I die, she should throw what's left into the farmer's field behind our house. When I've gone, all that will remain is a couple hundred pounds of meat and bone, and I would rather it went to feed fellow travelers on this rock.

What made me ME will be long gone. I won't care what happens to the remains. My husk should go to feed the animals, as animals have died to feed me. Not be put in a pretty box to rot in the ground.

She on the other hand, wants to be cremated and put in the same urn with her father, mother and sister.

What is a green burial? | Science | The Guardian

Jarvis says the green sites - which to the untrained eye can be indistinguishable from wild meadows - blend in with the surrounding countryside enough to be handed over to wildlife trusts when all the space is filled. "Then they could be used as a nature reserve or for recreational purposes," Jarvis says.

^^^^ This is something my family are looking into.

I see, so poor people are not entitled to any decency in burial? Stored for up to 42 months until they "have enough" carcasses collected seem okay to you? Buried in trenches?

You are a heartless ass, CG.

Or...perhaps I just see things differently to you. No, that can't be right.... I must be a 'heartless ass' because I am not overly concerned with the physical remains of a shell. When I die, they can do whatever they want with my body.... actually, I kind of fancy donating my remains to the 'Body Farm'.... it's just a shell.... it's meaningless. What matters is the memory of the person who died.... not some shell.
While I agree that my dead body will be a useless shell, I respect that a burial is important for a large segment of society. A degree of respect is due to all deceased and the proper handling of remains seems like a poor choice for cost cutting.

Don't get fooled. This is not, was not and will not be about saving money.

It's lazyness.

It's easier to squeeze one more in than it is to load it properly and have to get a new box.

When my son died, I tried to start a movement for cremation. In stead of purchasing cemetery plots, people would donate a like sum to purchase park land where people could go and enjoy themselves in memory of their loved ones in stead of feeling all morose visiting a grave site. I had some local support at first but I never got very far.

I think cremation would make more sense. I'm just appalled that Cook County treats the remains of its dead in this way -- most people deeply want a degree of respect shown to their deceased loved ones at this time.

And they lied about doing it...in case that matters to anyone here.

I think cremation would make more sense. I'm just appalled that Cook County treats the remains of its dead in this way -- most people deeply want a degree of respect shown to their deceased loved ones at this time.

And they lied about doing it...in case that matters to anyone here.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Maddie makes it easy to attack Maddie. She's overly emotional.... and woe betide anyone who dares disagree with her 'fact'. When she's capable of rational thought, I'll take her seriously. Until then, not so much.

I made no comment on the individual case. I commented only on the theory of the method of burial. See, I am capable of differentiating between the two, and you are incapable of basic comprehension.

Idiot.

Is the sky blue in your world too?

Sometimes, Two Thumbs, that's true. Not always. Some people are too poor to claim the remains of their loved ones for burial.

So we should pay for them?

Come on folks all we're talking about here are dead bodies. The dead care not.

I think we should dispose of them like the Tibetans

Sky Burial

Funerals are expensive, isn't it around $8000-10000 just for the basic funeral with casket and plot of land? unless you choose cremation your gonna have to pay alot, I feel sorry for people who don't have the money to give their loved ones a decent send off.

Funerals are expensive, isn't it around $8000-10000 just for the basic funeral with casket and plot of land? unless you choose cremation your gonna have to pay alot, I feel sorry for people who don't have the money to give their loved ones a decent send off.

Send off to where a hole in the ground?

The body is nothing but a mixture of water and a few elements that will return to their natural state for free.

Chemical Composition of the Human Body

The body is nothing but a mixture of water and a few elements that will return to their natural state for free.

So dead bodies should just be chucked onto the street than?

Sometimes, Two Thumbs, that's true. Not always. Some people are too poor to claim the remains of their loved ones for burial.

So we should pay for them?

Come on folks all we're talking about here are dead bodies. The dead care not.

I think we should dispose of them like the Tibetans

Sky Burial

So when people can't, actually do not have any money for a funeral.

fuckem?

that's ice cold. You may not give a fuck about respecting the dead, but most of humanity does.

No, but there are very cheap alternatives to this whole 'casket and plot' stuff. I lean towards one of the 'green' burial options. Cheap, natural and better for the environment. I take the whole Catholic attitude of 'remember man that thou are dust and to the dust thou shalt return' quite seriously. No need for a box or a 'plot'. I prefer the idea of being buried without the trimmings... in a biodegradable box so that I can sustain the land of my birth. Or, they can throw me out in the 'Body Farm' and study me as I rot. Either is cool.

What if they get individual plots but no casket? Would that be such a horrible thing?

It's not like plenty of people haven't been buried without boxes in the past.

Maybe Maddie can start a fund people can donate to if they want to buy caskets for these people?

No, but there are very cheap alternatives to this whole 'casket and plot' stuff. I lean towards one of the 'green' burial options. Cheap, natural and better for the environment. I take the whole Catholic attitude of 'remember man that thou are dust and to the dust thou shalt return' quite seriously. No need for a box or a 'plot'. I prefer the idea of being buried without the trimmings... in a biodegradable box so that I can sustain the land of my birth. Or, they can throw me out in the 'Body Farm' and study me as I rot. Either is cool.

I can agree with that, the standard casket and plot funerals are so expensive, most regular people don't have that in their budget these days.

Forum List

Back