Chevron fined for Amazon pollution by Ecuador court

u2scram

Oct 26, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/6gw6app

BBC News - Chevron fined for Amazon pollution by Ecuador court

"A court in Ecuador has fined US oil giant Chevron a reported $8bn (£5bn) for polluting a large part of the country's Amazon region.

The oil firm Texaco, which merged with Chevron in 2001, was accused of dumping billions of gallons of toxic materials into unlined pits and Amazon rivers.

Campaigners say crops were damaged and farm animals killed, and that local cancer rates increased."

http://tinyurl.com/4n2w9f3

Last edited:
I think that we will see more and more small nations holding the corperate giants feet to the fire concerning willfull polution.

Either that, or we will find out that all the claims against Chevron are based on junk science. Given your advocacy for science you should be attacking this verdict as political and economic extortion. That might make your other posts a shade more credible, if you care about things like that.

Given the actions of the giant corperations in other nations, I have little doubt that the charges are correct. Hell, given the actions of the corperations in this nation. From asbestos to fracking.

Given the actions of the giant corperations in other nations, I have little doubt that the charges are correct. Hell, given the actions of the corperations in this nation. From asbestos to fracking.

Maybe all states should outlaw the practice of fracking, like New York has done.

You know... just to be on the safe side. :eusa_eh:

Do not have to outlaw fracking, just hold any company accountable to all existing laws concerning pollution, water and air. If you destroy an aquifer, you pay for it. All of it. If the industry cannot live with that, then obviously they are a danger to everyone living within an area that they are doing this in.

Asbestos?

A few facts about asbestos.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber and was widely used in construction as insulation and fire retardant. One type of asbestos that has never been used in constuction was found to have an all but insignificant link to cancer, and the result was the loss of an entire industry and one of the best fire retardants ever discovered. It did, however, immensely benefit a corporation that was incapable of competing on an equal basis with the manufacture of asbestos.

You just proved my point for me, by the way.

Asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber and was widely used in construction as insulation and fire retardant. One type of asbestos that has never been used in constuction was found to have an all but insignificant link to cancer, and the result was the loss of an entire industry and one of the best fire retardants ever discovered. It did, however, immensely benefit a corporation that was incapable of competing on an equal basis with the manufacture of asbestos.

Asbestos Exposure and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

My cousin and best freind died from mesothelioma. At one place where we worked, we were repairing valves in steam lines, and the air looked foggy from the asbestos in the air. We were young and dumb, and did not realize the danger. He drew the short straw and died for the use of asbestos.

Asbestos Hazards Handbook - Chapter 3: Asbestos and Your Health

I don't know why you deny what has been found by every country on earth, and where whole populations have been tracked for generations. Your denial of this obvious danger from asbestos will definately color any validity I would give to any post of yours in the future.

Asbestos?

Link?

Do not have to outlaw fracking, just hold any company accountable to all existing laws concerning pollution, water and air. If you destroy an aquifer, you pay for it. All of it. If the industry cannot live with that, then obviously they are a danger to everyone living within an area that they are doing this in.

This sounds familiar.
Oh yeah. Agriculture.

I believe that corporations, whether operating domestically or internationally, should be held accountable based upon existing laws within operational jurisdictions.

If those laws prove inadequate for protecting, within reason, the environment or overall well-being of its citizens then they should be modified.

However, I take exception with the vilification of an entire business community based upon isolated incidents that are not representative of otherwise compliant industry practices.

Given the actions of blacks in the past, I have little doubt that the chages against any black are correct...

You hypocrite.

Ekwadoor. Isn't that a state in Aphrika ?
The assholes in this conversation probably don't even have passports.................if they even know what that is ( it aint Scotch).
The pimps that own you idiots did some serious damage down there.

Ecuador, Chevron and pollution: Justice or extortion? | The Economist

Texaco may have benefited from Ecuador’s past lack of environmental standards. It is questionable whether any of the pits would have been cleaned up had it not been for the campaigners. But the lawsuit may now be preventing Chevron from helping Petroecuador to clean up the rest. Ecuadoreans were the main beneficiaries from the oil—although some of them suffered some damage from it. They will also be the most important victims if the Chevron case shows that the rule of law is the servant of politics in Ecuador.

I find this statement revealing for what it does not state. Yes, there were Ecuadoreans that benefited from the oil, but they were not the Ecuadoreans that lived in that area. The people affected gained little and lost much. Kind of like the fracking operations

Asbestos?

Asbestos Exposure and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

My cousin and best freind died from mesothelioma. At one place where we worked, we were repairing valves in steam lines, and the air looked foggy from the asbestos in the air. We were young and dumb, and did not realize the danger. He drew the short straw and died for the use of asbestos.

Asbestos Hazards Handbook - Chapter 3: Asbestos and Your Health

I don't know why you deny what has been found by every country on earth, and where whole populations have been tracked for generations. Your denial of this obvious danger from asbestos will definately color any validity I would give to any post of yours in the future.

There are six different types of asbestos.

Types of Asbestos - Chrysotile Asbestos, Tremolite Asbestos

Even a site dedicated to the dangers of asbestos points out that some types are less dangerous than others.

Forum List

Back