Chevron and Climate change

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
Climate Change | Global Issues | Chevron

At Chevron, we recognize and share the concerns of governments and the public about climate change. The use of fossil fuels to meet the world's energy needs is a contributor to an increase in greenhouse gases (GHGs)—mainly carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane—in the Earth's atmosphere. There is a widespread view that this increase is leading to climate change, with adverse effects on the environment.

Guided by our Seven Principles for Addressing Climate Change, Chevron is working internationally and at the U.S. federal and state levels to contribute to climate change policy discussions. Our stance reflects a balanced approach to addressing climate change through short- and long-term measures. As we work to reduce GHGs, our collective challenge is to create solutions that protect the environment without undermining the growth of the global economy. We believe that a successful climate policy will be one in which the reduction of GHGs is accomplished equitably by the top emitting countries of the world through long-term and coordinated national frameworks...

http://www.chevron.com/documents/pdf/GHG_Management.pdf?

The only problem now is that the problems are now, not long term in the future. But any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't argue that their steps are sufficient, but, they aren't trying to obsfucate about whether the problem even exists and for now, that has to be seen as a positive step.

The only problem now is that the problems are now, not long term in the future. But any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't argue that their steps are sufficient, but, they aren't trying to obsfucate about whether the problem even exists and for now, that has to be seen as a positive step.

Anyone who believes the Chevron environmental policy is a fool. Or Exxon Mobile or BP. Public relations policy writers are a dime a dozen. (good ones cost a bit more)

Pay attention to what they actually do.

Chevron, Mobil, and BP are the largest non-government investors in renewable/alternative energy technologies.

According to some you just must be a fool to believe what you just posted.

As we all know, only government programs reliably develop anything of use in the market.

Like AMTRAK.

Can Chevron move the Jet Stream?

National Heat Wave Continues Through June | LiveScience

"The intense heat that kicked off the summer of 2012 is the result of a "blocking" pattern that has caused the jet stream, a band of high-altitude westerly winds, to trap heat above the Midwest and Southeast, Jeff Weber, a scientist with the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., told OurAmazingPlanet earlier this month."

Old Rocks can you show us how CO2 moves the Jet Stream?

Anyone who believes the Chevron environmental policy is a fool. Or Exxon Mobile or BP. Public relations policy writers are a dime a dozen. (good ones cost a bit more)

Pay attention to what they actually do.

And several are starting to do more. Unlike most of the fringe absurdists typically encountered on political discussion boards, the oil companies understand the problems and the nature of what will ultimately occur. Their own scientists and researchers began warning them about the problem on the horizon 2-3 decades ago. they are simply trying to figure out how to make as much money (and new technology investments) as they can while they can.

Though I'd prefer perfect behavior, I feel that it is important to acknowlege any steps in the right direction.

Chevron, Mobil, and BP are the largest non-government investors in renewable/alternative energy technologies.

I don't know that they are the largest, but they are certainly major and important investors. But I would expect no less. They are more intimately in tune with what is happening in the energy sector and where the future of that sector lies.

As we all know, only government programs reliably develop anything of use in the market.

Like AMTRAK.

Smells like... "hyperbole".

"The intense heat that kicked off the summer of 2012 is the result of a "blocking" pattern that has caused the jet stream, a band of high-altitude westerly winds, to trap heat above the Midwest and Southeast, Jeff Weber, a scientist with the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., told OurAmazingPlanet earlier this month."

Not Old Rocks, but I can't think of any way that CO2 concentration in the atmosphere could directly impact Jet Stream but I have yet to hear anyone assert such. Please demonstrate the reputable climate researchers that have claimed that CO2 directly shifts the jet stream. A warmer/warming climate will exhibit different atmospheric circulation patterns than a cooler/cooling climate, and climate can be warmed/cooled according to atmospheric CO2 concentrations, but that is not a direct, but rather a secondary or even tertiary (or greater) effect of atmospheric CO2 concentration.

CO2's primary effect is to retard the exodus of energy from our planet's atmosphere. It is the spread of this excess energy throughout our atmosphere, oceans and land surfaces that are the realms of weather and weather trends or climate. It is those trends that results in changes toward new, higher energy states, ranges and patterns.

Who needs to "obfuscate" about the world's biggest con job?

And several are starting to do more. Unlike most of the fringe absurdists typically encountered on political discussion boards, the oil companies understand the problems and the nature of what will ultimately occur. Their own scientists and researchers began warning them about the problem on the horizon 2-3 decades ago. they are simply trying to figure out how to make as much money (and new technology investments) as they can while they can.

Though I'd prefer perfect behavior, I feel that it is important to acknowlege any steps in the right direction.

What a load of horseshit. Their own scientists were predicting global warming 3 decades ago? I suppose you can provide some documentation of that claim? That was when the oil companies were all being accused of funding the "denialist" campaign. Of course, they are still accused of that.

I don't know that they are the largest, but they are certainly major and important investors. But I would expect no less. They are more intimately in tune with what is happening in the energy sector and where the future of that sector lies.

Fossil fuels are the future of the energy sector for the foreseeable future. So-called "renewable energy" is a joke.

Like AMTRAK.

Smells like... "hyperbole".

No, it's called "sarcasm." Try using a dictionary before you post.

Not Old Rocks, but I can't think of any way that CO2 concentration in the atmosphere could directly impact Jet Stream but I have yet to hear anyone assert such. Please demonstrate the reputable climate researchers that have claimed that CO2 directly shifts the jet stream. A warmer/warming climate will exhibit different atmospheric circulation patterns than a cooler/cooling climate, and climate can be warmed/cooled according to atmospheric CO2 concentrations, but that is not a direct, but rather a secondary or even tertiary (or greater) effect of atmospheric CO2 concentration.

CO2's primary effect is to retard the exodus of energy from our planet's atmosphere. It is the spread of this excess energy throughout our atmosphere, oceans and land surfaces that are the realms of weather and weather trends or climate. It is those trends that results in changes toward new, higher energy states, ranges and patterns.

So why are you chalking up the heat wave to AGW and not the Jet Stream?

I, personally, wouldn't attribute any single weather event to AGW. Climate is the composite of (trending of) weather patterns over extended time frames. It is one thing to say that the summers in some areas are generally starting to get warmer and drier and that this is in accord with what one would expect to see in some AGW (or CO2 forced) environments than it is to say that we can directly attribute this particular weather pattern and confluence solely and entirely to AGW circumstances. The former, in my consideration is properly qualified and reasonable, the later might be supportable but stripped of AGW significance by removing it from larger weather trends is inappropriate and not typically very rigorous. You might be able to "chalk up" more pole shifted summer routes for the primary northern hemisphere jet streams across the N. Am continent as a consequence of warming climates and you might be able to support that heat waves often result from such northern route jet streams, but this is very different from saying that increased CO2 caused this particular heat wave episode.

I, personally, wouldn't attribute any single weather event to AGW. Climate is the composite of (trending of) weather patterns over extended time frames. It is one thing to say that the summers in some areas are generally starting to get warmer and drier and that this is in accord with what one would expect to see in some AGW (or CO2 forced) environments than it is to say that we can directly attribute this particular weather pattern and confluence solely and entirely to AGW circumstances. The former, in my consideration is properly qualified and reasonable, the later might be supportable but stripped of AGW significance by removing it from larger weather trends is inappropriate and not typically very rigorous. You might be able to "chalk up" more pole shifted summer routes for the primary northern hemisphere jet streams across the N. Am continent as a consequence of warming climates and you might be able to support that heat waves often result from such northern route jet streams, but this is very different from saying that increased CO2 caused this particular heat wave episode.

Wouldn't a real scientist try to replicate the condition in a lab and eliminate all variables except for a wisp of CO2?

Forum List

Back