Chevrolet Volt

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The April 2011 edition of Consumer Reports has some interesting comments about the Chevrolet Volt. The following is from the article.

“GM’s plug-in hybrid goes gas-free for short trips, but is pricey.”

1. The Volt will not be available nationwide until the end of the year.

2. It is a 4-seat, battery powered hatchback that runs on electricity alone for short trips. The battery takes up the rear center. Its electric range is claimed to be between 25 and 50 miles, and after the lithium-ion battery is depleted, a gasoline engine kicks in and acts as a backup generator, powering the electric drive and extending the range to a total of about 300 miles.

3. Ours cost $43,700 including options; with a dealer markup, the total was $48,700.

a. There is a $7,500 electric vehicle tax credit.

4. A weak electric heater is problematic. It is quiet, has brisk acceleration, with a taut, supple ride. Due to the tepid warm air, the passengers were uncomfortable. When the temperature dips below 26, the engine will turn on even during the electric portion of the trip.

5. The mph is not meaningful without knowing a trip’s length, because calculating fuel economy depends on the ratio of electric to gasoline use.

a. We’ve been getting between 23 and 28 mpg, due to the winter’s freeze. The car’s electric range is very susceptible to cold weather since the heater runs on electricity.

b. We’ve also found that an extended highway cruise shortens the electric range.

6. So, the fuel economy depends on your driving pattern. The more often and further you travel, the closer your overall energy use drops toward 30 mpg.

7. Based on energy use, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the EPA, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that’s for the first 25 miles or so, on battery alone.

8. GM says recharge times are about 4 hours with a 240-volt supply, and 10 to 12 hours with 120 volts. Our Volt has been taking almost 13 kWh in about 5 hours every time we charge. Volt buyers should purchase a 220-volt (Level 2) charger.

a. At the national average rate of 11 cents per kWh, the Volt costs about 5.7 cents per mile in electric mode and 10 cents a mile after that- if gas is $3 per gallon.

b. A Toyota Prius costs 6.8 cents per mile, and a gas powered Honda Fit costs about 10 cents per mile (but the price is less than half of that of the Volt).

9. In the Northeast, electricity cost is a lot higher. For example:
Sep. 22, 2010: ($0.27 per kWh)
Aug. 23, 2010: ($0.24 per kWh)
Jul. 23, 2010: ($0.29 per kWh)
Jun. 23, 2010: ($0.28 per kWh)
May 24, 2010: ($0.41 per kWh)
Apr. 23, 2010: ($0.87 per kWh) W303 » New York City Electricity – Con Edison Kwh Charge History

10.So, the Volt works as an electric car with a gas backup….but it is not much of a money saver in many places. For now, the Volt is an expensive way to be green.

11. The Nissan Leaf cost us $35,270 and is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit. The Leaf is great for short trips, but we found that the range rapidly reduced from 36 miles to barely 19 one frigid morning. Nissan claims 100 mile range….we averaged 65 in the winter.

a. With a 220-volt charger it took 7 to 9 hours, and took 22 kilowatts per charge. On 110, it can take 20 hours to charge. We recommend the extra charging port ($700) that allows a charge in 27 minutes from DC charger. It is hoped that these chargers will be installed in many public places.

b. We averaged 3 miles per kWh, which is 3.7 cents a mile @ 11 cents. The EPA rates the Leaf at 99 mph equivalent ( 93 mph equivalent for the Volt). He heater is fine, and it seats five.

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

Come to think of it..the Dark ages..was the height of conservatism!

I just cannot understand the anti electric vehicle mania bunch.

I think you two have a comprehension prob....

there is no opinion in the OP...that is straight from the article...

...the only thing I added was the NYC kWh costs to give an accurate idea of costs.

Kind of early to be drinking.

I don't know how many years these batteries are supposed to last.

I assume it's anywhere from 3 to 5 years.

When it does come time to change them though.

I would guess the bill would be anywhere between $5-$10,000 replacement cost

...the only thing I added was the NYC kWh costs to give an accurate idea of costs.

So essentially..you have no original thoughts?

Just as I suspected!:lol:

So essentially..you have no original thoughts?

Just as I suspected!:lol:

I provided the OP as a help, on an informational basis...

...clearly you have take it personally my note that you lacked comprehension.....

And that's exactly the way I meant it.

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

Come to think of it..the Dark ages..was the height of conservatism!

wrong, we had all those th8ings minus gov. interference and, its dem old robber barons that made it happen:lol:

This, from one of my previous posts:

An EV’s price reflects its expensive battery pack. “EV’s can do a reasonable range, but they can’t do it at a reasonable cost given today’s batteries,” says Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of Green Car journal. The Volt’s batteries cost $8,000 or more and the Leaf’s about $18,000.

c. No one knows how long those batteries will last: there is no track record by which to gauge them.

So if I post something negative from the Huffington post then you are ok with that PC?
And it would not show that I was supporting the huffpos position?

we've been thru this many times, I posted the cots per elect. vehicle, for the battery replacement, the battery life expectancy ( they say 9 so far its been 6-8) , the resale cost, cost efficiency to make a go of it (over 5$ a gallon for a sustained period) and the subsidies from the taxpayer to GM and nissan per vehicle..in effect we are paying their operating costs and profit to build the friggin things...its a loser.

We will pay more as petro based transportation costs rise.
There will be a turnover point on alternatively powered vehicles.
But since we are not quite there yet we should abandon that route?

So if I post something negative from the Huffington post then you are ok with that PC?
And it would not show that I was supporting the huffpos position?

Are you suggesting that Consumer Reports is biased in their reporting?

What, in your fevered imagination is the bias and/or negativity in the article?

If so, I'd like you to back up that claim.

All I can say is the whistle on that train of thought is barely audible….

We are early in the game, sure electric vehicles are not yet acceptable but will improve and look better as petro costs rise.
A good thing that Edison and Westinghouse did not feel like many do now about electric cars and give up on electric generation in the USA.

Edisons first electric generation /distrubution system would not go as far as a Volt does.
Just a few miles because it was DC.

Last edited:

abandon them as in how? we are SUBSIDIZING the cost and sales of these vehicles. How much does that count for?

The break even point is actually close to $4 a gallon...think on that for a moment.....

we ARE pursuing battery tech. that will in the 10-15 year time span ( hopefully0 change the cost effectiveness.....and in the meantime?

If the Obama administration had not presided over the devaluation of the dollar, we would not be seeing $112 oil.

We are early in the game, sure electric vehicles are not yet acceptable but will improve and look better as petro costs rise.
A good thing that Edison and Westinghouse did not feel like many do now about electric cars and give up on electric generation in the USA.

Edisons first electric generation /distrubution system would not go as far as a Volt does.
Just a few miles because it was DC.

you got it, Westinghouse and Edison........

abandon them as in how? we are SUBSIDIZING the cost and sales of these vehicles. How much does that count for?

The break even point is actually close to $4 a gallon...think on that for a moment.....

we ARE pursuing battery tech. that will in the 10-15 year time span ( hopefully0 change the cost effectiveness.....and in the meantime?

We subsidize our entire highway system. Should we quit doing that?
We subsidized the transcontinental railway.
We subsidized nuclear power, Rural electrification, etc.

We have spent trillions subsidizing petro and still are.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back