Chester Arthur

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
became President when Garfield was assassinated. Arthur never had a Veep. How did he never have a veep? What if he had died in office?

majority leader of the senate.....

I think, and I could be wrong here, that before the 25th amendment, the order was VP, then the cabinet secretaries in order of creation of their office. So the Secretary of State would be first in line.

After the 25th Amendment the order is, VP, Speaker of the House, President Pro Tempore of the Senate, then the cabinet officers in order of the creation of their office.

I think, and I could be wrong here, that before the 25th amendment, the order was VP, then the cabinet secretaries in order of creation of their office. So the Secretary of State would be first in line.

After the 25th Amendment the order is, VP, Speaker of the House, President Pro Tempore of the Senate, then the cabinet officers in order of the creation of their office.

ah yes ..... posted without thinking agian .....

Good point. I forgot for a moment that there have been changes since then.

• Banned
What about the fact that the veep breaks a tie in the senate? has that not always been the case? Why didn't he choose a veep?

Good point. I forgot for a moment that there have been changes since then.

It's ok, I got it wrong anyway. What I said was the law from 1886 to 1947. Prior to 1886, and thus the law when Garfield was killed, was that the VP, then President Pro Tempore, then Speaker of the House. This was the line of succession created in 1792. The Federalists did not want the, then current, Secretary of State to be in line to accede to the presidency. The Secretary of State was Thomas Jefferson.

• Banned
I just thought of this, and I'm not sure when this was the case. But it used to be the veep would be granted to the candidate who came in second. Did that happen with arthur and garfield?

What about the fact that the veep breaks a tie in the senate? has that not always been the case? Why didn't he choose a veep?

Yes, under Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution, the Vice President is the President of the Senate. He has no vote unless the Senate is equally divided. So yes, it has always been the case.

I can't help you with the Why question.

I just thought of this, and I'm not sure when this was the case. But it used to be the veep would be granted to the candidate who came in second. Did that happen with arthur and garfield?

No, that was modified by the XIIth Amendment, ratified in 1804. The Adams/Jefferson election solved that issue. Adams sent Jefferson back to Monticello to be Vice President there. So it didn't seem like a very effective plan.

Forum List

Back