Chesapeake

usmbtech

VIP Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 7, 2008
USA
I have a question about Chesapeake that just has me steaming mad today. I purchased CHK when it dropped from $70 to $20 as a good long term play on nat gas. I believed in the CEO and felt it was a good investment that had been knocked down by hedge funds. Last week the company announced two filings to issue more shares and the stock got cut in half. I decided to take my losses and and sell fearing the company was heading down even further. Not even a few days later the company canceled the plans to issue more stock and CHK bounces back. How can they do that and not follow through? It almost seems like the intentially knocked the stock down. Also a directer purchased shares the day it was down so much. Something just doesn't seem right about this, I feel I've been cheated.

Chesapeake Suffers From Dilution

Late Wednesday Chesapeake Energy (nyse: CHK - news - people ) announced in two filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it will issue shares worth as much as $1.0 billion before fees and actually registered 50.0 million shares worth at much as $791.0 million for potential sale. America's largest producer of natural gas wants the money to fund its drilling and exploration activities.
Chesapeake Suffers From Dilution - Forbes.com

Shares of Chesapeake Energy Corp. soared Monday after it canceled plans to issue stock and cut back its capital spending for the fourth time in recent months, and said it has more than enough cash on hand. Chesapeake Energy (CHK 17.55, +3.08, +21.3%) CEO Aubrey McClendon, seeking to stave off a severe sell-off in the company's shares, said the Nov. 28 plan to issue stock was a "mistake" and that the energy company will spend only enough to match its incoming cash flow.
Chart of CHK Shares of Chesapeake jumped 24% to close at $14.08 on Monday. Seeking to calm "false" rumors about the company's struggling to stay solvent, McClendon said it currently has about $1.5 billion in cash and will build up its currency holdings by as much as $4 billion. It plans to end the year with about $2.5 billion in cash.

Sec Form 4 - Nickles Donald L - Chesapeake Energy Corp - For 12/09/08

Man, that really sucks.

I'd check around on some stock boards to see if anybody's talking "class action". Try iHub, that's a pretty active board.

Nothing will come of it, but it wouldn't hurt to dash a letter off to the SEC about it.

I'd be looking for opportunities to short their asses too...

Keep an eye on SKF. When the current rally ends, there'll be day trading dollars written all over this bad boy. It's currently up 4+ in PM but, there's no volume to speak of. Also, with the VIX pulling back over the last few days, it gives me reason for pause right now.

• Admin
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe a good one for my CNBC PC :) Already up 5% today.

Things change.

The price of oil is almost at $40 a barrel. Drilling domestically is stupid at that price. Chesapeake was looking to drill domestically. It no longer makes sense, and the CEO went with the flow.

Now at $90, a domestic drilling program makes it a hot buy. And I am pretty sure Chesapeake is ready for lots of drilling if/when the price goes up again.

Forum List

Back