Chertoff His Rocker

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Guess if you're a blue city, then fighting terrorists isn't so important.

A defiant Chertoff won't budge

Says not a penny more to city

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff (center) during a Cabinet meeting with President Bush yesterday.

WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff was defiant yesterday despite a blistering onslaught of criticism over his order to slash New York City's counterterrorism cash almost in half.
"I will tell you that when people threaten me or yell at me, that's not going to make me change my mind," Chertoff told the Daily News.

The attacks on Chertoff for cutting federal grants to New York City by 40% this year were led by fellow Republicans on Capitol Hill who preside over committees overseeing Chertoff's cabinet agency.

He insisted that pressure from GOP leaders and the entire New York delegation won't sway him to restore $80 million cut from the high-threat urban area security grants awarded to the city this year.

"I'd be a pretty bad secretary if I said, 'Wow, I got attacked, I'm going to change the grants formula,'" Chertoff said after huddling with President Bush and White House political adviser Karl Rove.

"There's a lot of members of Congress. If you ever try to drive down that road, you're going to drive yourself crazy," he added.

But Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.), who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee and controls the department's purse strings, made clear he's losing faith in Chertoff's leadership.

"The burden is on him. He has to prove why he should keep the job," King said in an interview.

"It's getting tougher and tougher to defend him," he added. "I really had high hopes. It's indefensible how you cut the 40%."

King and Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) sent Chertoff postcards of city monuments and landmarks - like the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty - to complain that his bureaucrats didn't count them in their threat analysis.

"Wish you were here!" they said in a note.

Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), a member of the House Appropriations Committee, warned that if the funding isn't fixed, "Chertoff should consider resigning."

"If the standard for whether the secretary ought to keep his job is whether every single city did better than the last year, you're never going to have a secretary keeping this job," Chertoff said during a speech at the Brookings Institution.

Mayor Bloomberg, though critical of Chertoff's decision to give New York City only $125 million in grants, said jabs at the secretary were unproductive.

"I don't think if we want to get help from anybody, calling them names is exactly the right way to go about it," Bloomberg told reporters.

In a letter to Bush yesterday, White House ally Rep. Vito Fossella (R-S.I.) called the Homeland Security cuts "shocking" and pleaded with Bush to overrule Chertoff.

"This matter is of such vital importance to the safety and security of New York that it is essential for the White House to intervene," Fossella wrote.

But Chertoff insisted that the city didn't get the shaft this year, explaining the $207 million it got last year was to make up for getting only $46 million in 2004.

Four times in his speech, Chertoff called New York the "No. 1 terror target," but he added, "I do think it's fair to ask this question: After [New York City] gets $500 million, is it correct to assume they should get the same amount of money year after year after year after year?"

Chertoff also said that the city landmarks were counted as infrastructure in the grants calculations. Lady Liberty, however, wasn't included because she stands on federal land.

King, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan) and the entire New York delegation in a letter demanded Chertoff meet with them to explain the cuts.

"I'll be happy to meet with them and lay the facts out," he told The News.

With Michael Saul in New York

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/423005p-356989c.html

They're insane, right?

N.Y. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE

UH, D.C. -- TERROR TARGETS ARE HERE

By GEOFF EARLE and NILES LATHEM Post Correspondents

A postcard blitz from Hillary Rodham Clinton and Rep. Peter King will allow the Bush administration to see for itself that such landmarks as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Shea Stadium exist in New York City. The feds claimed there are no monuments in the Apple worth defending from terrorists.

June 2, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - Ticked-off New Yorkers are sending Homeland Security boss Michael Chertoff a message - "Wish you were here!" - in a postcard protest against the 40 percent cut in federal anti-terror aid to the city.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton teamed up with Rep. Peter King yesterday to mail Chertoff the first of an expected avalanche of picture postcards of New York landmarks - after the feds concluded there are none worth protecting in the city.

The Clinton and King cards - depicting the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Shea Stadium and Metropolitan Museum of Art - began with, "Dear Secretary Chertoff, Just a quick note from one of New York's many national monuments and icons."

In their postcard featuring the Brooklyn Bridge, the message reads, "Did you know that the longest single span of the Brooklyn Bridge is 1,595 feet and that it sees 144,000 vehicle crossings everyday?"

The message on the back of the postcard featuring Shea Stadium reads, "Since its opening, Shea Stadium has attracted more than 73 million fans!"

The postcard featuring the Statue of Liberty says, "Since 1886, the Statue of Liberty has been a symbol of American liberty and ideals. But did you know that the length of Lady Liberty's hand is 16 feet and five inches?"

In each of the cards, they signed off with, "Wish you were here! Hillary and Pete."

Clinton, a Democrat, and King, a Republican who represents Long Island, want to deluge Chertoff with cards to protest his department's determination that the New York funding cut is justified.

A federal analysis shockingly claimed there are no national symbols or icons in the Big Apple.

The postcard campaign came amid other developments in the anti-terror aid uproar:

* Chertoff hit back at critics, saying, "Attacking the secretary personally or threatening the secretary is not a way to drive funding decisions in this department or any other department."

* President Bush's spokesman insisted the cuts were justified because New York City has already gotten plenty of federal support.

* Sen. Charles Schumer fired off a letter to Chertoff, demanding answers about how the allocations decisions were made.

* Mayor Bloomberg suggested the money may have been spread around the country like pork for political reasons.

Yesterday, King, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, said Chertoff was living on borrowed time. "He has to explain why he should keep the job," he said.

Two other New York congressmen, Reps. John Sweeney (R-Saratoga) and Joe Crowley (D-Queens), have called for Chertoff's resignation.

Chertoff said his agency had to look out for the most threatened cities, but also "to make sure we are not neglecting those cities that have not had that initial base" of funding.

"It's not going to be enough for a community to say, 'We are the No. 1 risk, give us money.' They are going to have to show how they are going to spend the money," he said, speaking at a Washington think tank.

Chertoff said requests like the NYPD's for help with overtime and expenses get less weight than a city seeking a new communications system.

White House press secretary Tony Snow defended the shocking decision to boost anti-terror aid to far-flung cow towns like Omaha, Neb. - despite employing a new, supposedly "risk-based" formula.

"The idea that somehow you're being unfair to New York by still giving it more money than any city in the United States of America, I think is to create a false issue and maybe even a false area of friction," he said.

King said he plans "very extensive hearings" later this month on how the funding decisions are made.

Meanwhile, FDNY Chief Sal Cassano said he fears funding cuts will jeopardize all the progress in the department.

"We've taken almost five years to build up to where we are now since Sept. 11," he said at a City Council hearing. "We don't want to take any steps backward."

Further analysis of the anti-terror funds reveals that some sparsely populated Western states are winning the funding lottery.

Each New York state resident is getting $2.78 in homeland funds - including the substantial but reduced funds for New York City.

But each resident of tranquil Vermont gets $17.24, while snowbound Alaskans get $11.54.

Additional reporting by Stephanie Gaskel

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/64574.htm

New York's had tons of money for 5 years to shore up their defenses. It's time to make sure the rest of the country is secure, too. It's like a house robbery.

If some guy robs my house by breaking in through the front door, the first thing I'm gonna do is spend a bunch of money making that front door damn near impenitrable. Well, there's no point in keeping up the improvements after that. Then, it's time to put more security on the back door and windows. Washington and New York are the front door. They've gotten their stuff. It's time to lock the back door and the windows.

Hobbit said:
New York's had tons of money for 5 years to shore up their defenses. It's time to make sure the rest of the country is secure, too. It's like a house robbery.

If some guy robs my house by breaking in through the front door, the first thing I'm gonna do is spend a bunch of money making that front door damn near impenitrable. Well, there's no point in keeping up the improvements after that. Then, it's time to put more security on the back door and windows. Washington and New York are the front door. They've gotten their stuff. It's time to lock the back door and the windows.

Funny. Everyone seems to think that Grand Central Station, the Empire State Buiding, the Brooklyn Bridge, NY Harbor, the Stock Exchange, etc., etc., etc., are the next logical targets. NY is far from impenetrable; it still doesn't even have adequate checks on the cargo coming in or the water supplies.

I'm sure that Chertoff's decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that NY is a blue city or the fact that the places now getting more money are those facing tough races in the mid-term elections. Sure it doesn't. *sarcasm off* :rolleyes:

jillian said:
Funny. Everyone seems to think that Grand Central Station, the Empire State Buiding, the Brooklyn Bridge, NY Harbor, the Stock Exchange, etc., etc., etc., are the next logical targets. NY is far from impenetrable; it still doesn't even have adequate checks on the cargo coming in or the water supplies.

I'm sure that Chertoff's decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that NY is a blue city or the fact that the places now getting more money are those facing tough races in the mid-term elections. Sure it doesn't. *sarcasm off* :rolleyes:

NY still gets more money than any other city in the nation. Stop whining.

Jillian said:
I'm sure that Chertoff decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that NY is a blue city or the fact that the places now getting more money are those facing tough races in the mid-term elections. Sure it doesn't. *sarcasm off* :rolleyes:

your also sounding pretty silly here...

jillian said:

Well considering most cities are unfortunately blue, why would you think that had something to do with it?

The fact is they were given certain money for certain projects. With those projects complete, the money that was allocated for those projects no longer needs to be spent. Thus it would be perfectly natural to stop spending money on the same projects that are already complete.

If they want to make other areas more defensible, then provide a reasonable proposal to the Department of Homeland Security to determine whether the expense would be necessary or, here is a crazy thought, use some of the money being wasted in the New York City budget to secure the city more.

Also, I was unaware that Hillary was facing a tough mid-term election. Good to know. I hope she fails.

Hobbit said:

And the borders.

jillian said:

has new york not secured these locations yet? what the fuck have they been doing with the 100s of millions they have been geeting for the past 5 years?

It's just another form of pork. Probably has very little effect on "fighting terrorism." The way to fight terrorism is put our government back in the hands of patriots instead of Israel-first Zionists like...

Michael Chertoff.

Hobbit said:

Where is this front door you speak of?

New York has 26 bridges and tunnels. About 10 of those are crossed by millions every single day, the rest are more local. Quite a few are over a mile long.

New York has dozens of Ferry stations used every day by thousands of commuters taking the ferries to work.

New York has the most elaborate mass transit system in the world.

New York City has just under 8 million people. The metropolitan area consists of 21.8 million people (including me!). Many of whom travel to NYC for work every day.

Long Island has densely populated areas and the arena that houses the Islanders. Queens has a lot of housing high rises and Shea Stadium. The Bronx has the Zoo, Yankee Stadium, and again, housing high rises. Brooklyn has a downtown larger than most cities. It also has Coney Island amusement park, and several large Jewish Neighborhoods. Staten Island has densely populated neighborhoods. I do not even need to mention Manhattan.

Jillian also noted that NYC and New Jersey play a large role in ocean commerce. It is necessary that the ports can properly secure incoming cargo.

There are an infinite number of tourist attractions that draw large numbers daily.

Taking all of this into account, where is a front door that is bought with a single payment? Man power requires salaries. Technology needs updating and improvement. The door you speak of also consists of helicopters, boats, cars...it takes a lot of money to keep these vehicles running and fueled.

I am not saying that the rest of the country does not need money. I could give a similar synopsis of my old home, Chicago. Not to mention Los Angeles was already saved from the Y2K plot. I am stating that NYC is not a simple door that can be fixed with a little money. Cut 40% of the funding, you cut at least some security for a very vulnerable city. A city that has already been attacked twice, and implicated in at least two major foiled plots.

1549 said:
Where is this front door you speak of?

New York has 26 bridges and tunnels. About 10 of those are crossed by millions every single day, the rest are more local. Quite a few are over a mile long.

New York has dozens of Ferry stations used every day by thousands of commuters taking the ferries to work.

New York has the most elaborate mass transit system in the world.

New York City has just under 8 million people. The metropolitan area consists of 21.8 million people (including me!). Many of whom travel to NYC for work every day.

Long Island has densely populated areas and the arena that houses the Islanders. Queens has a lot of housing high rises and Shea Stadium. The Bronx has the Zoo, Yankee Stadium, and again, housing high rises. Brooklyn has a downtown larger than most cities. It also has Coney Island amusement park, and several large Jewish Neighborhoods. Staten Island has densely populated neighborhoods. I do not even need to mention Manhattan.

Jillian also noted that NYC and New Jersey play a large role in ocean commerce. It is necessary that the ports can properly secure incoming cargo.

There are an infinite number of tourist attractions that draw large numbers daily.

Taking all of this into account, where is a front door that is bought with a single payment? Man power requires salaries. Technology needs updating and improvement. The door you speak of also consists of helicopters, boats, cars...it takes a lot of money to keep these vehicles running and fueled.

I am not saying that the rest of the country does not need money. I could give a similar synopsis of my old home, Chicago. Not to mention Los Angeles was already saved from the Y2K plot. I am stating that NYC is not a simple door that can be fixed with a little money. Cut 40% of the funding, you cut at least some security for a very vulnerable city. A city that has already been attacked twice, and implicated in at least two major foiled plots.

First off, I think you fail to get the 'front door' point. New York is where we were hit, so it's where we shored up first, to keep from getting hit in the same place twice. Well, NY has been quite reinforced now, and it's time we shore up places like Orlando (tourist hot-spot), Atlanta (Coke headquarters and primary Delta hub), San Francisco, Philly, Boston, and lots of other targets. NY still gets more money than anybody else, and while salaries still need to be paid, the infastructure is bought and paid for. It's time we move the money elsewhere.

Hobbit said:
First off, I think you fail to get the 'front door' point. New York is where we were hit, so it's where we shored up first, to keep from getting hit in the same place twice. Well, NY has been quite reinforced now, and it's time we shore up places like Orlando (tourist hot-spot), Atlanta (Coke headquarters and primary Delta hub), San Francisco, Philly, Boston, and lots of other targets. NY still gets more money than anybody else, and while salaries still need to be paid, the infastructure is bought and paid for. It's time we move the money elsewhere.

I like the Coke museum. I had a stomach ache from all the free soda I poured into my stomach.

But yea, I did misunderstand your point the first time I read through it. However, I still believe a 40% cut is still too sharp to maintain security at its present levels.

Isn't it hillarious to watch the September 10th crowd, the same that has been bitching about the out of control spending, the ones that say that there really isn't any threat, the ones that claim that if we just leave them alone they will leave us alone, the ones that don't think that the patriot act is needed and accuse the Bush administration of making it all up, these same all knowing progressives are now falling all over themselves to get more money......ha ha ha ha ha ha .....how very revealing, hypocrites!

sitarro said:
Isn't it hillarious to watch the September 10th crowd, the same that has been bitching about the out of control spending, the ones that say that there really isn't any threat, the ones that claim that if we just leave them alone they will leave us alone, the ones that don't think that the patriot act is needed and accuse the Bush administration of making it all up.

And who on this thread has claimed ANY of the above?

Dr Grump said:
And who on this thread has claimed ANY of the above?

I'm not playing anymore grump, just as the homosexual thread, it's just my opinion......buh bye.

Forum List

Back