Cherry Picking Jesus Apart

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by CurveLight, Jun 11, 2010.

1. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    We are all familiar with verses like Jn 3:16 + 14:6 which are often used to claim "Salvation" is found only through "accepting Jesus as your personal Savior." For now, let's set aside the fact Jesus never actually said that and go only with the common Christian myth that accepting Jesus is Salvation. For those who adhere to that dogma how do you explain Jesus' words saying we are to pray to God to "forgive our sins as we forgive those who sin against us?" (Lk. 11:4) If forgiveness from God is on the condition we forgive those who sin against us then the Get out of Hell Free card is a token of cherry picking. It's lazy theology.

I accepted Christ on March 28, 1999 and was Baptized on July 30, 2000 so I am not some agnostic or curious atheist. The idea of blanket forgiveness from God for all we have done wrong is a sweet, but dangerous fantasy. Jesus did not specifically address the issue of forgiveness in the Lord's Prayer because he needed a filler line. He did it to highlight the fact forgiveness from God is found in our forgiveness of others. This is what he preached, practiced, and gave his life defending.

The main message in that one line is forgiveness from God is not found in a cure all ceremony. It is a lifestyle. By teaching people to just "accept Christ as their personal Saviour" a false teaching of Christ is being presented and the fallout is in obvious abundance. Instead of more Christians focusing on Jesus' teachings they follow bigotry in many forms. Islam gets blamed for terrorism. Gays get blamed for hurricanes. Women are blamed for abortion.

All of that bigotry, hatred, and ridiculous ignorance is born out of a failed theology. People are taught if they "accept Christ" they are forgiven but what they are not taught is what Jesus actually stated. When they do not have the Peace that was promised they look around for someone to blame and they tend to blame anyone who has not "accepted Christ" as they have.

Instead of cherry picking Jesus apart all of us Christians have a heavy burden of examining everything he said and not just what makes us comfortable.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. tsalkonocii

tsalkonocii BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    THE way, not A way

Why Jesus is the only Way to salvation

The women who have them, yeah. 'Blaming' people for their own actions isn't blame- it's responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I didn't know putting "Cherry Picking" in the thread title would be seen as encouraging cherry picking the op.

Jesus never said to accept him as your "personal Saviour." How do you explain what he actually did say in Luke 11:4?

4. tsalkonocii

tsalkonocii BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Forgive us our trespasses? You really need an explanation of why he says to ask forgiveness?

never said to accept him as your personal saviour?

John 14:6

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

5. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    One last attempt with you. Jesus taught in the Lord's Prayer that we are to pray to God and ask God "to forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us."

Clearly he is saying God will forgive us as we forgive those who sin against us so how can it be claimed forgiveness from God is found only in "accepting Jesus?"

6. tsalkonocii

tsalkonocii BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You have to ask forgiveness and accept Jesus as your saviour. It's not just about forgiveness. The debt had to be paid. You must accept Jesus' gift, which is that he has paid the price for you.

See my first link, read your bible, and return when you know what you're talking about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tsalkonocii

tsalkonocii BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Curvedlight seeks to deceive and to mislead. Knowingly or otherwise, curvedlight is an agent of Lucifer, who seeks to corrupt the Word and mislead men so they will not accept jesus and the Word of God.

Jesus warned of people like you.

8. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    You completely ignored the question then accuse me of being an agent of Lucifer. Priceless.

9. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Christian fundimentalists are certifiably bat shit crazy and every bit as dangerous as the most radical elements of muslim terrorists.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. tsalkonocii

tsalkonocii BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    curvedlight was the one who assumed jesus/the bible was an authority

and what's a 'fundimentalist'?