Cheney's Pre-Speech Criticism of Obama on Afghanistan Went Too Far..

AmericasBrave58

Retired USN Nurse(Vietnam
Dec 31, 2009
Seattle,Washington
Cheney's Pre-Speech Criticism of Obama on Afghanistan Went Too Far
Posted:
12/3/09
Filed Under:Dick Cheney, Foreign Policy, Afghanistan, Conservatives

Since leaving office a little more than 10 months ago, former Vice President Dick Cheney has become the most outspoken critic of President Obama's foreign policy decisions. Most of the time, this has been a good thing, as Cheney has often very eloquently made the conservative case for forcefully fighting terrorism. Recently, though, he went too far.

On the eve of President Obama's speech at West Point regarding the troop buildup in Afghanistan, Cheney gave a 90-minute interview to Politico where, according to the news outlet, he "slammed President Barack Obama for projecting 'weakness' to adversaries."
Get the new
PD toolbar!

Cheney went on to question Obama's motives for the speech, saying, "I begin to get nervous when I see the commander in chief making decisions apparently for what I would describe as small 'p' political reasons, where he's trying to balance off different competing groups in society."

As a conservative, let me be clear: Having listened to Obama's speech on Tuesday night, I'm comfortable saying that most of Cheney's analysis was correct. Still, despite the president's dithering prior to the announcement, and his lack of enthusiasm during the speech, Obama did ultimately order an additional 30,000 troops -- which is hardly doing an imitation of Neville Chamberlain.

Moreover, there are questions of taste and timing to consider. The former vice president had a pretty good idea what Obama was going to say Tuesday night (transcripts were leaked early to the press). Still, proper protocol and manners would seem to require a former vice president to at least wait until after a speech of this magnitude and international importance before criticizing it.

Part of my problem with Cheney's comments stems from the fact that he already had his opportunity to wield public policy. Had those same comments come from a political pundit such as Ann Coulter, I would not have blanched. But the fact that a former vice president -- possibly the most influential in American history -- chose to criticize the policies of the sitting president of the United States on the eve of his committing 30,000 troops to war strikes me as inappropriate. Again, I say this despite the fact that I tend to agree with Cheney's views.

The worst-case scenario is that Cheney's premature criticism may have signaled to the world that we are divided as a nation. Moreover, they may have reinforced the notion that many Americans -- including those who ought to know better -- do not respect the office of the president. This leads me to wonder why conservatives have generally remained silent on this. The obvious reason is that most conservatives strongly agree with Cheney's sentiments, and thus are willing to overlook the lack of manners.

Certainly, there is hypocrisy on both sides. Conservatives were incensed -- and had a right to be -- when Democratic leaders, including Harry Reid and Joe Biden, took verbal potshots at George W. Bush while the president was on foreign soil. (Jimmy Carter was even tackier: Carter went abroad and criticized Bush.) We tended to view that kind of behavior as unpatriotic.

Granted, Cheney didn't criticize Obama while he was on foreign soil, but it was on the eve of an important announcement, delivered at the United States Military Academy, regarding the deployment of American troops.

In my estimation, this is an issue that should transcend partisan politics. Someone of Cheney's stature should wait until after the president gives a speech to critique it. And even then, he should be measured in that criticism.

:cuckoo: Cheney has a personal and mental problem, It is very plain, that he is not Obama's fan, but the old fart needs to back off and chill!!!

No one minds when Carter lambasts sitting Presidents or Clinton. The democrats saw to the elimination of the age old practice of former Presidents and Vice Presidents not commenting on current Presidents and no one minded it one bit. Go cry some where else.

cheney is trying to rewrite his place in history as one of the most corrupt and inept VPs ever

cheney is trying to rewrite his place in history as one of the most corrupt and inept VPs ever

HUH? WTF do you think he did? Any indictments? Any convictions? Any investigations? Didn't think so.

Obama and Holder will be the next high profile pols getting investigated/indicted, probably for selling pardons. Calling Marc Rich....

No one minds when Carter lambasts sitting Presidents or Clinton.

No, actually, the truth is that Carter has been attacked viciously over the years, by wingnuts, for doing what Cheney is doing now, for what the wingnuts are now praising Cheney for doing.

Ya cause we have no example of Carter breaking the mold and refusing to remain a dignified former President. What is good for Carter and Clinton is just as good for Cheney.

Cheney's Pre-Speech Criticism of Obama on Afghanistan Went Too Far
Posted:
12/3/09
Filed Under:Dick Cheney, Foreign Policy, Afghanistan, Conservatives

Since leaving office a little more than 10 months ago, former Vice President Dick Cheney has become the most outspoken critic of President Obama's foreign policy decisions. Most of the time, this has been a good thing, as Cheney has often very eloquently made the conservative case for forcefully fighting terrorism. Recently, though, he went too far.

On the eve of President Obama's speech at West Point regarding the troop buildup in Afghanistan, Cheney gave a 90-minute interview to Politico where, according to the news outlet, he "slammed President Barack Obama for projecting 'weakness' to adversaries."
Get the new
PD toolbar!

Cheney went on to question Obama's motives for the speech, saying, "I begin to get nervous when I see the commander in chief making decisions apparently for what I would describe as small 'p' political reasons, where he's trying to balance off different competing groups in society."

As a conservative, let me be clear: Having listened to Obama's speech on Tuesday night, I'm comfortable saying that most of Cheney's analysis was correct. Still, despite the president's dithering prior to the announcement, and his lack of enthusiasm during the speech, Obama did ultimately order an additional 30,000 troops -- which is hardly doing an imitation of Neville Chamberlain.

Moreover, there are questions of taste and timing to consider. The former vice president had a pretty good idea what Obama was going to say Tuesday night (transcripts were leaked early to the press). Still, proper protocol and manners would seem to require a former vice president to at least wait until after a speech of this magnitude and international importance before criticizing it.

Part of my problem with Cheney's comments stems from the fact that he already had his opportunity to wield public policy. Had those same comments come from a political pundit such as Ann Coulter, I would not have blanched. But the fact that a former vice president -- possibly the most influential in American history -- chose to criticize the policies of the sitting president of the United States on the eve of his committing 30,000 troops to war strikes me as inappropriate. Again, I say this despite the fact that I tend to agree with Cheney's views.

The worst-case scenario is that Cheney's premature criticism may have signaled to the world that we are divided as a nation. Moreover, they may have reinforced the notion that many Americans -- including those who ought to know better -- do not respect the office of the president. This leads me to wonder why conservatives have generally remained silent on this. The obvious reason is that most conservatives strongly agree with Cheney's sentiments, and thus are willing to overlook the lack of manners.

Certainly, there is hypocrisy on both sides. Conservatives were incensed -- and had a right to be -- when Democratic leaders, including Harry Reid and Joe Biden, took verbal potshots at George W. Bush while the president was on foreign soil. (Jimmy Carter was even tackier: Carter went abroad and criticized Bush.) We tended to view that kind of behavior as unpatriotic.

Granted, Cheney didn't criticize Obama while he was on foreign soil, but it was on the eve of an important announcement, delivered at the United States Military Academy, regarding the deployment of American troops.

In my estimation, this is an issue that should transcend partisan politics. Someone of Cheney's stature should wait until after the president gives a speech to critique it. And even then, he should be measured in that criticism.

:cuckoo: Cheney has a personal and mental problem, It is very plain, that he is not Obama's fan, but the old fart needs to back off and chill!!!

It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it. GW Bush is too much of a gentleman, unlike Jimmy terrorist-lover Carter and Bill Clinton who tore GW a new one over many issues. Or have you forgotten how these former Presidents, not to mention the rest of the liberal sewage treated Bush?

Obama provides an endless stream of incompetency, idiocy, ignorance, and downright treason, not to mention he is starting to be ridiculed and laughed at by leaders all over the world. Do you know why he was snubbed in China and the Chinese PM walked out of the room on him in Copenhagen? It's because he bowed to the Japanese Emperor and didn't have a clue how that would offend the Chinese.

Even the Arab leaders are laughing at him for bowing to the Saudi King. None of them ever do. And did you know that Egypt and Saudi Arabia told Obama to take a hike about the Israel-Palestinian issue unless he does something about Iran? That's why they are making deals with Israel because they know that's one country that can and will do something about Iran. If there's one thing Arabs do not respect it is weakness. And Obama is the biggest pantywaist they've ever seen.

I think Cheney should have a regular program for bashing the POS who tries to pass for a US president.

HUH? WTF do you think he did? Any indictments? Any convictions? Any investigations? Didn't think so.

Obama and Holder will be the next high profile pols getting investigated/indicted, probably for selling pardons. Calling Marc Rich....

do high ranking politicians ever get convicted? get real

do high ranking politicians ever get convicted? get real

Yes when there is actually EVIDENCE of a crime and not wishful political dreaming.

:lol:As long as i can recall, Cheney!!! was always trying to build a Mountain out of a Mole Hill, and trying to make things sound worse than they really were.He lives in the past...

:lol:As long as i can recall, Cheney!!! was always trying to build a Mountain out of a Mole Hill, and trying to make things sound worse than they really were.He lives in the past...

Ya cause there is no world wide effort by Islamic terrorists to attack the US and bring it down. You are another one of the idiots.

Forum List

Back