Cheney's Hunting Accident

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
This story is a good metaphor for their entire administration. "The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight".

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/12/cheney.ap/index.html

Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter
'Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good'

Sunday, February 12, 2006; Posted: 5:58 p.m. EST (22:58 GMT)

Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old lawyer, was in stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was "alert and doing fine" in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the property's owner.

He was described as in stable condition by Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System in Corpus Christi.

Armstrong in an interview with The Associated Press said Whittington, 78, was mostly injured on his right side, with the pellets hitting his cheek, neck and chest during the incident which occurred late afternoon on Saturday

She said emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington until the ambulance arrived.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president was with Whittington and his wife at the hospital on Sunday.

The shooting was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The vice president's office did not disclose the accident until nearly 24 hours after it happened.

Ranch owner: Cheney was very apologetic

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong said.

"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

Whittington has been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has long been active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed to several state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the Texas Funeral Service Commission.

Whittington owns property in Travis County worth at least $11 million, the Austin American-Statesman reported last year, not counting a downtown block at the center of a long-running dispute with the city over a condemnation issue.

Armstrong, owner of the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittington was bleeding and Cheney was very apologetic.

"It broke the skin," she said of the shotgun pellets. "It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that."

"Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been," she said. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Cheney is an avid hunter who makes annual hunting trips to South Dakota to hunt pheasants. He also travels frequently to Arkansas to hunt ducks.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year and is "a very safe sportsman."

She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

"This is something that happens from time to time. You now, I've been peppered pretty well myself," said Armstrong.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nuc said:
This story is a good metaphor for their entire administration. "The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight".

Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter
'Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good'

Sunday, February 12, 2006; Posted: 5:58 p.m. EST (22:58 GMT)

Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old lawyer, was in stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was "alert and doing fine" in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the property's owner.

He was described as in stable condition by Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System in Corpus Christi.

Armstrong in an interview with The Associated Press said Whittington, 78, was mostly injured on his right side, with the pellets hitting his cheek, neck and chest during the incident which occurred late afternoon on Saturday

She said emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington until the ambulance arrived.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president was with Whittington and his wife at the hospital on Sunday.

The shooting was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The vice president's office did not disclose the accident until nearly 24 hours after it happened.

Ranch owner: Cheney was very apologetic

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.

Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong said.

"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

Whittington has been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has long been active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed to several state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the Texas Funeral Service Commission.

Whittington owns property in Travis County worth at least $11 million, the Austin American-Statesman reported last year, not counting a downtown block at the center of a long-running dispute with the city over a condemnation issue.

Armstrong, owner of the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittington was bleeding and Cheney was very apologetic.

"It broke the skin," she said of the shotgun pellets. "It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that."

"Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been," she said. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Cheney is an avid hunter who makes annual hunting trips to South Dakota to hunt pheasants. He also travels frequently to Arkansas to hunt ducks.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year and is "a very safe sportsman."

She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

"This is something that happens from time to time. You now, I've been peppered pretty well myself," said Armstrong.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I wonder if the libs can come up with any jokes about this----I mean he should have been able to at least hit an illegal if he was in south Texas ! :cof:

He was too busy with other things to enlist in the military...just goes to show it should be a prerequesite for anyone running for President or VP for that matter to have served and learned how to shoot...How can one be a Commander in Chief and not know target aquisition?IMO :rolleyes:

archangel said:
He was too busy with other things to enlist in the military...just goes to show it should be a prerequesite for anyone running for President or VP for that matter to have served and learned how to shoot...How can one be a Commander in Chief and not know target aquisition?IMO :rolleyes:

Hey Archie,

Are you saying that EVERYBODY who has served in the military is more qualified to be Commander in Chief than ANYBODY who hasn't? :poke:

archangel said:

Maybe old fart lawyers outta learn how to get out of the way ! :laugh:

I think its funny how that idiot woman Armstrong is trying to downplay being shot with a shotgun so it doesn't make Cheney look as bad. His friend could easily have died!

But when your hunting with a man who is semi-delusional, you run your risks. So I mainly feel sorry for Scott McClellan. You know that ever since Katrina, he's had to spin virtually everything the Bush admin has done. This is just another drop in the bucket.

Nuc said:
Hey Archie,

Are you saying that EVERYBODY who has served in the military is more qualified to be Commander in Chief than ANYBODY who hasn't? :poke:

to target aquisition and shooting...well hell ya...gotta problem with that analysis...nuckie baby?

dilloduck said:
Maybe old fart lawyers outta learn how to get out of the way ! :laugh:

should at least learn how to shoot!I mean he dodged the draft to pursue his goal as assistant Commander in chief...the least he could have done was join the Guard...no?

archangel said:
should at least learn how to shoot!I mean he dodged the draft to pursue his goal as assistant Commander in chief...the least he could have done was join the Guard...no?

Got that right! :dance: :baby4:

Palestinian Jew said:
I think its funny how that idiot woman Armstrong is trying to downplay being shot with a shotgun so it doesn't make Cheney look as bad. His friend could easily have died!

But when your hunting with a man who is semi-delusional, you run your risks. So I mainly feel sorry for Scott McClellan. You know that ever since Katrina, he's had to spin virtually everything the Bush admin has done. This is just another drop in the bucket.

:lame2:

Palestinian Jew said:

Well, your party currently has as one of it's leaders an incoherent drunk who actually did kill a woman, and his career doesn't seem to have suffered much :shrug:

I fail to see how this is even that big a deal. The MSM made it sound like he executed someone. Hunting accidents happen all the time. Its not like he was pulling a Vang and just picking off unarmed people.

If you read the whole article, it says that the guy came up behind Cheney and neglected to let him know he was there. For all Cheney knew, it was a bird, not Whittington. If you have ever been hunting, you know the unwritten rules about letting other hunters know that you are not their intended target. Failing to do so is your possible funeral.

quote from article:

The "MSM" did nothing of the sort. It's been made very clear that Whittington did not follow proper hunting-safety procedures when he approached Cheney and the rest of the shooting line.

I hope you're joking about not being able to see why this story is news--the vice-freakin'-president shot a guy! That's news anywhere.

It's still funny though--the guy's alright, so the irony of the whole event makes it funny--A pro-firearms, pro-war vice president has a gun accident! The anti-gun groups are going to have a field day with this thing.

BTW, guns are fun--I'm a firearms fan--so don't misinterpret.

Geese,the press is circling like the vultures they are. I just watched some of the press conference with Scott Mcclellan and they were absolutely atrocious. One of them asked if this was kind of a cover up thing like Katrina because they waited 24 hours to release this info......who the heck cares?!!! My life wasn't affected by the fact that it wasn't reported immediately.As a matter of fact,if I never heard about it,my life wouldn't change at all. They were drooling,asking if it was possible for Cheney to be brought up on charges. It has sad ,the state that our press is in right now. It was accident,clearly.

krisy said:
Geese,the press is circling like the vultures they are. I just watched some of the press conference with Scott Mcclellan and they were absolutely atrocious. One of them asked if this was kind of a cover up thing like Katrina because they waited 24 hours to release this info......who the heck cares?!!! My life wasn't affected by the fact that it wasn't reported immediately.As a matter of fact,if I never heard about it,my life wouldn't change at all. They were drooling,asking if it was possible for Cheney to be brought up on charges. It has sad ,the state that our press is in right now. It was accident,clearly.
Do you think that reporters should only print what they are told and not ask all questions relevant to an issue?

I heard somewhere that Howard Dean is calling for Cheney's resignation over this. Anyone hear anything about that?

Hagbard Celine said:
Do you think that reporters should only print what they are told and not ask all questions relevant to an issue?

I have no problem with them asking questions,I understand this is their job. Some of the questions were out of line at what they insinuated. The one in particular that bugged me was the guy asking about the delay in info. Who cares? The man that was shot is all right,and it wasn't like Cheney shot somebody in the middle of a bar fight for Pete's sake. It was a hunting accident,and some reporter is trying his best to make scandal of it. How can I take these people seriously? They are the same people that think anything Angelina Jolie says is news :rolleyes:

fuzzykitten99 said:
I fail to see how this is even that big a deal. The MSM made it sound like he executed someone. Hunting accidents happen all the time. Its not like he was pulling a Vang and just picking off unarmed people.

If you read the whole article, it says that the guy came up behind Cheney and neglected to let him know he was there. For all Cheney knew, it was a bird, not Whittington. If you have ever been hunting, you know the unwritten rules about letting other hunters know that you are not their intended target. Failing to do so is your possible funeral.

quote from article:

Well... I can agree with you here to a point fk. I've been hunting every since I was old enough to carry a gun, and my father taught me, "never pull the trigger until you're SURE of what you're shooting at". In any case, it's still just an accident.

krisy said:
I know!!

charges of what? accidentally shooting someone that failed to announce himself as a hunter?

Hagbard, its not that I don't think this is news, I just think there are bigger things to worry about around the world other than Cheney's hunting accident. Report it, then be done with it. If it were up to liberals (and I am sure someone out there is working on it) he would be charged with attempted murder.

Forum List

Back