Cheney lied, Americans died

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
That is the message presented by journalist Barton Gellman in his new book, Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency. "This vice president is the nearest thing to a deputy president the country's ever had," Gellman told The Daily Show's Jon Stewart on Monday. "Until now, it would have been ludicrous to wonder, 'How do you hold a vice president accountable?'"

Gellman described how Cheney convinced former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, a leading Republican opponent of war with Iraq, to vote in favor of the war resolution.

"Cheney ... had ... a borrowed hideaway office in the Capitol building," Gellman explained. "He brings Armey in ... and he lays out a big stack of papers and says, 'Let me explain to you what's really going on. ... Saddam is much more dangerous than we want to tell the public.'"

"He told Armey two things that he's never said in public and that are not true," Gellman continued. "He said that Saddam personally, and his family, had direct ties with al Qaeda. And he said that Iraq was making substantial progress towards a miniature nuclear weapon."

According to Gellman's book, Cheney told Armey that Iraq would soon have "packages that could be moved even by ground personnel" and "a delivery system in their relationship with organizations such as al Qaeda." These claims, writes Gellman, "crossed so far beyond the known universe of fact that they were simply without foundation."

Although Cheney's mini-nuke fabrication has not previously been revealed, Cheney did state somewhat cryptically in a September 2002 interview with Tim Russert, "That’s why it’s so important for us when we do identify the kind of threat that we see emerging now in Iraq, when we do see the capabilities of that regime and the way Saddam Hussein has operated over the years that we have to give serious consideration to how we’re going to address it before he can launch an attack, not wait until after he’s launched an attack."

"Armey is a very angry man at this point," Gellman told Stewart. "He was against the war. ... He was actually weeping in the well of the House when he cast his vote."

In his book, Gellman quotes Armey as saying, "Had I known or believed then what I believe now, I would have publicly opposed [the war] resolution right to the bitter end, and I believe I might have stopped it from happening."

"I deserved better than to be bullshitted by the vice president," Armey told Gellman.

The Raw Story | Author: Dick Armey livid Cheney 'bullshitted' him about Iraq 'mini-nuke'

Last edited:
That is the message presented by journalist Barton Gellman in his new book, Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency. "This vice president is the nearest thing to a deputy president the country's ever had," Gellman told The Daily Show's Jon Stewart on Monday. "Until now, it would have been ludicrous to wonder, 'How do you hold a vice president accountable?'"

Gellman described how Cheney convinced former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, a leading Republican opponent of war with Iraq, to vote in favor of the war resolution.

"Cheney ... had ... a borrowed hideaway office in the Capitol building," Gellman explained. "He brings Armey in ... and he lays out a big stack of papers and says, 'Let me explain to you what's really going on. ... Saddam is much more dangerous than we want to tell the public.'"

"He told Armey two things that he's never said in public and that are not true," Gellman continued. "He said that Saddam personally, and his family, had direct ties with al Qaeda. And he said that Iraq was making substantial progress towards a miniature nuclear weapon."

According to Gellman's book, Cheney told Armey that Iraq would soon have "packages that could be moved even by ground personnel" and "a delivery system in their relationship with organizations such as al Qaeda." These claims, writes Gellman, "crossed so far beyond the known universe of fact that they were simply without foundation."

Although Cheney's mini-nuke fabrication has not previously been revealed, Cheney did state somewhat cryptically in a September 2002 interview with Tim Russert, "That’s why it’s so important for us when we do identify the kind of threat that we see emerging now in Iraq, when we do see the capabilities of that regime and the way Saddam Hussein has operated over the years that we have to give serious consideration to how we’re going to address it before he can launch an attack, not wait until after he’s launched an attack."

"Armey is a very angry man at this point," Gellman told Stewart. "He was against the war. ... He was actually weeping in the well of the House when he cast his vote."

In his book, Gellman quotes Armey as saying, "Had I known or believed then what I believe now, I would have publicly opposed [the war] resolution right to the bitter end, and I believe I might have stopped it from happening."

"I deserved better than to be bullshitted by the vice president," Armey told Gellman.

The Raw Story | Author: Dick Armey livid Cheney 'bullshitted' him about Iraq 'mini-nuke'

Well, Well, Well, another book bashing the current administration. That's original.

Well, Well, Well, another book bashing the current administration. That's original.

Well, well, well, indeed.

Another apologist for the worst administration in our lifetimes sticking his head up his ass rather than facing the sad truth that he has been mislead by a cabal of pathological liars.

How common.

Well, well, well, indeed.

Another apologist for the worst administration in our lifetimes sticking his head up his ass rather than facing the sad truth that he has been mislead by a cabal of pathological liars.

How common.

Sure thing. After 8 years of you all crying "liar" over and over we are TIRED of it. Grow the fuck up. Remind me again how you stick to facts and the issues yet can shout "liar" with the best with zero evidence and in the face of the actual facts?

More confirmation of what the public suspected at the time.

You have to as yourself... "Why would anyone, especially the VP bullshit the country into a war?" Follow the money...

-Joe

Sure thing. After 8 years of you all crying "liar" over and over we are TIRED of it. Grow the fuck up. Remind me again how you stick to facts and the issues yet can shout "liar" with the best with zero evidence and in the face of the actual facts?

The testimony of Republican Senator Dick Armey is pretty compelling evidence.

It is amazing that Cheney would lie to one of the leaders of his own party so blatantly.

The testimony of Republican Senator Dick Armey is pretty compelling evidence.

It is amazing that Cheney would lie to one of the leaders of his own party so blatantly.

Armey was a Congressman. you pretty much have to be to be House Majority Leader.
try to keep up, kirky.

Is this same RawStory that had the Jason Leopold and W. R. Pitt story that was certain Karl Rove would be indicted within 24 hours and when the indictment failed to appear they reassured their readers they meant 24 BUSINESS hours?

Oh, man that was fun to watch the heads explode over at democratunderground.com.

Good times.

Last edited:

ROFLMNAO... BULLSHIT!

This is such a pack of hearsay lies and disinformation it's hard to even speak to it.

For Starters... what was in that pile of paperwork? Are we to believe that Cheney brought in his own sci-fi blog? Or was it intelligence reports which supported the information he was passing on?

But this is typical of the anti-American left...

More confirmation of what the public suspected at the time.

You have to as yourself... "Why would anyone, especially the VP bullshit the country into a war?" Follow the money...

-Joe

ROFL... Yet another leftist using hearsay propaganda as 'confirmation'...

ROFLMNAO... BULLSHIT!

This is such a pack of hearsay lies and disinformation it's hard to even speak to it.

For Starters... what was in that pile of paperwork? Are we to believe that Cheney brought in his own sci-fi blog? Or was it intelligence reports which supported the information he was passing on?

But this is typical of the anti-American left...

This isn't hearsay... Rep Armey is quoted directly as being the one Cheny lied to... How the hell is that hearsay?

-Joe

1) We have Gellman CLAIMING Armey told him something.

2) If it is as egregious as Gellman claims Armey could come forward and stop the war he's supposedly so against.

After eight years of your boys lying, it's tuff shit if your tired of hearing about it.

I love the way you do that. Don't deny it, just say it's old and were tired of hearing about it.

FYYSAH

I am so glad the moral right always tell the truth.:lol:

After eight years of your boys lying, it's tuff shit if your tired of hearing about it.

I love the way you do that. Don't deny it, just say it's old and were tired of hearing about it.

FYYSAH

I am so glad the moral right always tell the truth.:lol:

And yet absolutely no evidence of any lies. Go figure.

• In a private meeting with Texas Rep. Dick Armey, a stalwart conservative who nonetheless opposed going to war with Iraq, Cheney puts the screws to him. "In the privacy of his office, for this one crucial vote, Cheney leveled claims he had not made before and did not make again. Two of them crossed so far beyond the known universe of fact that they were simply without foundation.

The vice president brought the disquieting news that Iraq's "ability to miniaturize weapons of mass destruction, particularly nuclear," had been "substantially refined since the first Gulf War," Armey recalled ... According to Armey, Cheney also reported that al Qaeda was "working with Saddam Hussein and members of his family."

Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency
 - TIME

Last edited:
show me proof they lied about the war in iraq?

until then, you can not call them liars.

the typical uneducated "you're a bush ass kisser" answer does not suffice.

Where did Cheney get those ridiculous ideas....foolish man....
-------------------------------------

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter to President Clinton, signed by Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies." Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies." Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do" Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"Saddam Hussein's regime represents a grave threat to America and our allies, including our vital ally, Israel. For more than two decades, Saddam Hussein has sought weapons of mass destruction through every available means. We know that he has chemical and biological weapons. He has already used them against his neighbors and his own people, and is trying to build more. We know that he is doing everything he can to build nuclear weapons, and we know that each day he gets closer to achieving that goal." Senator John Edwards (D-NC), October 10, 2002

"While the distance between the United States and Iraq is great, Saddam Hussein's ability to use his chemical and biological weapons against us is not constrained by geography - it can be accomplished in a number of different ways - which is what makes this threat so real and persuasive." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), October 10, 2002

Everybody has been hitting you over the head with facts for the last eight years. But your so ideologically blind to see that. You are a lost cause!:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back