Cheney Attacks Obama For Prosecuting CIA Agents, Something That Is Not Happening

So, let me get this straight. You believe that these 'career' lawyers and investigators, who are appointed/hired by politicians - or those working for the govt - do not have a political axe to grind? Or that their bosses, with a nod and wink from those in power - won't tell them to desist? I suppose you think supreme court justices are not political appointments either?

Funny.

The Bush administration never got any flack that I know of for attempting to interfere with the SG office, unlike the Obama administration.

Who appointed those SG's again during Bush's tenure...:eusa_whistle:

You should educate yourself on the facts before expounding on them

A former Justice Department official describes the Eastern District task force's process:

The CIA discovers misconduct, which the CIA inspector general investigates. The information seems to suggest misconduct. They go to DOJ. DOJ tells them to stop and that [Justice] will now look at the issue, gather evidence, and investigate it themselves. They must decide if there is a reasonable belief that they could obtain a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt. They looked at it. They made a decision and declined [to prosecute]. They go back to the CIA, which can, and in several instances did, review the matters for internal discipline.

Another individual with direct knowledge of the career prosecutors' work explains that while some of the allegations in the CIA inspector general's report seem startling, "the evidence was very weak." He continues, "A detainee said X but there was no proof to support it."

Declination memos of the type drafted in these cases, according to former Justice Department officials, are considered the "crown jewels" of the department, which strenuously resists releasing them. (Decisions not to prosecute are rarely the subject of public comment, given the risk of tainting suspects' reputations or impairing other investigations.) If the decisions not to prosecute were reversed, however, and a new process launched retracing the work of the task force, the CIA defendants would certainly demand all of the information that served as the basis for the government's original declinations. If the government had information concerning problematic witnesses, defendants' lack of knowledge of applicable interrogation guidelines, or other reasons not to prosecute, this material would be essential to the defense--and likely fatal to the prosecution's case.

A former Justice Department lawyer explains that any new prosecution would likely face "an insurmountable problem." A respected career prosecutor like Durham would find it "very difficult not to reach the same conclusion" unless new facts had emerged.

Eric Holder's Anti-CIA Witch Hunt - CBS News

Some of those people were hired under Clinton, not Bush. The investigation was entirely open, honest, and above board. The only reason for anyone to reopen it would be to score political points. I know you think scoring polical points on National Security is a good idea, you demonstrate that with your support of the TSA. that does not mean that you get to lie and distort the facts.

Cheney exhibiting his contempt for the rule of law is no surprise.

But Obama has no authority to order an end to investigations if the findings of the investigations warrant indictments for the same reason.

Holder is obligated to prosecute those who violate the law – regardless of circumstances or intent.
That's all that really matters and should have ended the thread.

Really?

If a Republican wins in 2012 and decides to investigate Obama for his illegal attack on Libya will you say the same thing, or will you holler about the partisanship and blatant misuse of political power to score points?

I know I will be consistent.

Cheney Attacks Obama For Prosecuting CIA Agents, Something That Is Not Happening « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

Former Vice President Dick Cheney attacked the Obama administration on Fox News Sunday for prosecuting CIA agents for using torture.

Only, President Obama announced that CIA agents that used harsh interrogation tactics would not be prosecuted, two years ago.

In an investigation headed by special prosecutor John Durham, it was determined that no charges would be filed in the destruction of CIA torture videotapes.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Cheney: an embarrassment to the Uniform...that he never wore.

Last edited:
Cheney exhibiting his contempt for the rule of law is no surprise.

But Obama has no authority to order an end to investigations if the findings of the investigations warrant indictments for the same reason.

Holder is obligated to prosecute those who violate the law – regardless of circumstances or intent.
That's all that really matters and should have ended the thread.

Really?

If a Republican wins in 2012 and decides to investigate Obama for his illegal attack on Libya will you say the same thing, or will you holler about the partisanship and blatant misuse of political power to score points?

I know I will be consistent.

I have come to see that bullshit don't fly on this board my friend. Most of these folks don't actually think about anything, just blab out whatever the party line is from their respective parties.

Cheney Attacks Obama For Prosecuting CIA Agents, Something That Is Not Happening « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

Former Vice President Dick Cheney attacked the Obama administration on Fox News Sunday for prosecuting CIA agents for using torture.

In an investigation headed by special prosecutor John Durham, it was determined that no charges would be filed in the destruction of CIA torture videotapes.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Cheney an embarrassment to the Uniform...that he never wore.

What does that even mean you buffoon? Lots of fine people have never served in the military.

What does that even mean you buffoon? Lots of fine people have never served in the military.

Well...you could consider it that he's the BIGGEST and WORST chickenhawk to ever hold any public office...ever.

As for the bolded, Dick would CERTAINLY not be one of them.

Well...you could consider it that he's the BIGGEST and WORST chickenhawk to ever hold any public office...ever.

Funny thing is, he's more of a man than you could ever hope to be.

BTW, lots of dirtbags have never served either. Draft dodging William Jethro and Barack Hussein Obama immediately come to mind.

1) What was the result of that investigation?
2) Who carried out the investigation (which admin - Bush/Obama)?
3) Has more evidence come to light since that investigation?

All excellent questions that I hope Obama has answers for during the 2012 debates.

:lol:

He's SOOOO Fucked.

Well, he's only fucked if:

1) The GOP put up a decent candidate (they haven't)

Conditionally subjective parameters only work well in academia and liberal dogma.

It would be hilarious to find what you'd call a "decent" GOP candidate= one who adopts the 2012 Democratic Platform.

Your absurdity is amusing.

I may be wrong, but your beloved Obama never served.. matter of fact, he's been sucking on the tit of others his entire life. He's in fact.. our first welfare President!

YAY!

Lets take a trip in the infamous WAY BACK machine and revisit the words of our illustrious (dumb as a pile of dog shit) Attorney General, Eric Holder:

Reopening CIA Abuse Cases Will Start Political Fight - WSJ.com

So, if the prosecutions have not yet commenced, does that mean that Holder flip flopped again -- or is it just a matter of time before the DoJ DOES proceed with some kind of criminal proceeding?

I may be wrong, but your beloved Obama never served.. matter of fact, he's been sucking on the tit of others his entire life. He's in fact.. our first welfare President!

YAY!

Link? NO? Didnt thnk so.

Forum List

Back