Cheers all around as Obama sets fuel efficiency goals for big trucks

I remember when every car made in the USA got about 10 MPG if you were lucky. My first car an Olds 88 got like between 6-8 MPG. My second a ford sunliner got about 10-12 mpg.

Now my light truck hovers around 29 MPG slighly more on long trips if I keep it below 70 mph.

Offhand I'd say setting targets for the fleet's overall gas consumption has been a good idea.
WTF?

What evidence do you have that it was federal mandates which are chiefly responsible for this?

Logical Fallacy: Post Hoc

back then gas cost a quarter a gallon, so there was little demand for high milage cars.

Whats the odds this news is what hit the market so hard today.

They now know the liberals will not rest until the West is dead

I remember when every car made in the USA got about 10 MPG if you were lucky. My first car an Olds 88 got like between 6-8 MPG. My second a ford sunliner got about 10-12 mpg.

Now my light truck hovers around 29 MPG slighly more on long trips if I keep it below 70 mph.

Offhand I'd say setting targets for the fleet's overall gas consumption has been a good idea.
WTF?

What evidence do you have that it was federal mandates which are chiefly responsible for this?

back then gas cost a quarter a gallon, so there was little demand for high milage cars.

Talk about logical fallicies. You do realize that given constant dollars, gas actually cost more in the past, don't you?!?!

WTF?

Talk about logical fallicies. You do realize that given constant dollars, gas actually cost more in the past, don't you?!?!

LOL....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kornhole you are a real piece of work... Did they create you in some liberal evil laboratory?

WTF?

are you talking inflation?

I recall a can of soda = .25 the same as a gallon of gas.

The same can now cost $1, while a gallon of gas is $3.5+

your idiotic, and that's being kind, comparison makes less sense than the stop sign comparison.

But please tell me; Why do you like having your freedoms regulated away?

Hybrid tech is a scam to charge more for less.. If they could make a regular sporty hatchback get 50 mpg 25 years ago with no compromise in performance and handling or reliability, why can't they do that today without 500 lbs of batteries and an overly complex system of gadgets that will cost triple or more last one third of the time, and make repairs more difficult and more expensive while getting worse gas mileage?

Its just completely ignorant and very few people seem to be able to see beyond the BS PR...

Hybrid tech is a scam to charge more for less.. If they could make a regular sporty hatchback get 50 mpg 25 years ago with no compromise in performance and handling or reliability, why can't they do that today without 500 lbs of batteries and an overly complex system of gadgets that will cost triple or more last one third of the time, and make repairs more difficult and more expensive while getting worse gas mileage?

Its just completely ignorant and very few people seem to be able to see beyond the BS PR...

If that vehicle really existed, where is it today? It's not like anyone's preventing them from producing the car. I have a hard time believing that a true 50 mpg car wouldn't still be on the road and in showrooms today.

WTF?

The price of gasoline compared to incomes does make sense of course, but ignoring the fact that incomes have not gone up eqially by CLASS, is missing the point, too.

If you compare the averge price of gas to MINIMUM WAGE you'll get one ratio.

If you compare the averge price of gas to MEDIAN WAGE, you'll get another ratio.

If you parce median wages BY socioeconomic class you'll get VERY different ratios over time, too.

So the comparing cost of energy compared to incomes over time demands that one comes up with mulktiple outcomes, not a single outcome.

Naturally if one class is doing much better than they once did (or much worse) the effect of the rising price of energy is going to be VERY different.

Hybrid tech is a scam to charge more for less.. If they could make a regular sporty hatchback get 50 mpg 25 years ago PR...

I keep a cherry 1984 325e BMW in the garage for when i dont want to ride my motorcycles, gets an honest 40mpg at 70mph.

Must be just broken in, i dunno, and chicks dig it, havnt seen to many hotties wanting rides in prius's.

:cool:

If that vehicle really existed, where is it today? It's not like anyone's preventing them from producing the car. I have a hard time believing that a true 50 mpg car wouldn't still be on the road and in showrooms today.

KOrnhole I am so tired of your freaking stupidity now.... Seriously do yourself a favor and STFU about things you know nothing about....

Fuel Economy of the 1992 Honda Civic HB VX

1992 Honda Civic HB VX
4 cyl, 1.5 L
Manual 5-spd
Regular Gasoline
EPA Fuel Economy
Miles per Gallon
Regular Gasoline
Combined
City
Highway

Fuel Economics

Now just STFU and quit making an idiot of yourself...:lol:

The price of gasoline compared to incomes does make sense of course, but ignoring the fact that incomes have not gone up eqially by CLASS, is missing the point, too.

If you compare the averge price of gas to MEDIAN WAGE, you'll get another ratio.

If you parce median wages BY socioeconomic class you'll get VERY different ratios over time, too.

So the comparing cost of energy compared to incomes over time demands that one comes up with mulktiple outcomes, not a single outcome.

Naturally if one class is doing much better than they once did (or much worse) the effect of the rising price of energy is going to be VERY different.
All of which is entirely irrelevant to the fact that there is absolutely zero evidence that gubmint mandates are responsible for the fuel mileage that cars get today.

In fact, horsepower numbers per cubic inch displacement have gone up significantly over the years, with no such federal edicts demanding such.

KOrnhole I am so tired of your freaking stupidity now.... Seriously do yourself a favor and STFU about things you know nothing about....

Fuel Economy of the 1992 Honda Civic HB VX

1992 Honda Civic HB VX
4 cyl, 1.5 L
Manual 5-spd
Regular Gasoline
EPA Fuel Economy
Miles per Gallon
Regular Gasoline
Combined
City
Highway

Fuel Economics

Now just STFU and quit making an idiot of yourself...:lol:

You haven't answered the question. Why isn't it still on the road, if it was so good? You seem to be really losing it!!! You'd rather be a potty mouth than actually answering questions. And you call me "junior"?!?! I guess my shining intellect is just getting to you. :lol::lol::lol:

It is a good thing long term, less oil dependency in the future.
But then thinking long term is so out of vogue.

Thinking long term would actually entail .......

LETTING US DRILL FOR OIL IN OUR OWN DAMN COUNTRY

Just a fleeting thought...............

Democrats support any energy reform policy that doesn't contain the words "drill", "for", and "oil".

All of which is entirely irrelevant to the fact that there is absolutely zero evidence that gubmint mandates are responsible for the fuel mileage that cars get today.

In fact, horsepower numbers per cubic inch displacement have gone up significantly over the years, with no such federal edicts demanding such.

Idiot, why do you think HP/displacement ratios have gone up?
Sheesh no proof....

Idiot, why do you think HP/displacement ratios have gone up?
Sheesh no proof....
Um....Little things like electronic ignition, computer controlled timing and ignition, fuel injection, 4-valve-per-cylinder heads...None of which was mandated, either.

In any case, HP/CID isn't the metric used by the authoritarian central controllers, the entirely capricious measure of MPG is...Seems they're more interested in people driving around in underpowered little death trap shitboxes, than they are concerned with the kind of efficiency that gets more power and torque.

The details of how to get there were not mandated, just getting there was.

I think there is more actual proof that govt regulations increased fuel efficiency in US autos than proof that the moon crashing into the earth would kill billions.

That's your story, pal...Which is entirely unfalsifiable.

Ever hear that technology doesn't stand still?

You are missing the facts of the mandates, the industry whining and then meeting the specs or getting them extended.
It is fully documented.

However the effects of the moon crashing into the earth are not documented and just speculation.

That's your story, pal...Which is entirely unfalsifiable.

Ever hear that technology doesn't stand still?

You are missing the facts of the mandates, the industry whining and then meeting the specs or getting them extended.
It is fully documented.

However the effects of the moon crashing into the earth are not documented and just speculation.
I guess you forgot what spurred the development of the SUV.

Forum List

Back