Check your dog treats

Far out!

I never give my dogs commercial dog treats, they're more expensive than giving them flipping steak and you don't know what they have in them.

Plus both dogs are allergic so although I do feed cheap food (I just can't afford the good allergenic stuff in the quantities I need it...

I get these for treats, because they really do help keep their teeth clean - especially the small dog. Small dogs do not have the amount of natural enzymes in their saliva to combat tartar and other junk:

checkups-dental-dogs-treats.jpg

safe_image.php

I've switched to Taste Of The Wild dog food. It's gluten-free, high quality food:

tow-images2.jpg

They like it, and my big appetite dog eats less of this food than he did of the Beneful-types I used to get. It fills them up with less food, and their poops disappear in the yeard by the next day - it breaks down very quickly.

It's about $50 for a large bag, but it lasts a good while. If you get it at Pet Supermarket and get one of their frequent buyer cards, after you buy 10 bags you get a bag free. (that goes for all their food).

when I get high-end food, I have to get novel protein, which is just two ingredients...one protein, and one carb. So like duck and potato, or venison and corn, or whatever.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter what type I get, if it's cheap or expensive, they're still going to react to it.

Those are about $70-80 a (bigger) bag, a bag lasts maybe (MAYBE) two weeks.

My big pup really isn't a huge eater, he does best if the food is left out so he can pick at it, but of course I can't leave that food out or it would be gone in a week, which means he gets pretty darned lean (not bony). Right now I'm rationing the food because it has to last to payday (and it will...) and he actually gets hungry between feedings. But he's also losing weight. However so is my terrier, and she needed to.

He doesn't like to eat when people are watching him or when the terrier is around...which is why I like to leave his food out...he eats when I'm at work and the terrier is in the back. And I do like that system for him, but we can't do it with the expensive stuff.

Right now we're doing okay. He had a flare up last month, he's better now, starting to shake his ears a little, so probably next month we'll have to switch out the food and get some more ear drops..and the month after that we'll be back to the vet for antibiotics and steroids.

Such is life.

bones, does the wheat give your dogs gas? It does mine. P-U.

Here's some more home made dog treat recipes. I've tried one or two and the dogs just gobble them up. Well duh, they're dogs.

I used to buy Purina One treats made w/lamb and rice but they don't make them now and also Nutro treats at Petco until they redesigned the packaging, reducing the size by half but keeping the price the same. :mad:

Cleo’s Pumpkin Dog Biscuits

2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons dry milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *
1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine.

Roll dough between 1/4 – 1/2″ – depending on your dog’s chew preferences, ask first – and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog.

* Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.

Retriever Retriever, Pumpkin Eater | Simmer Till Done

Gluten Free Dog Biscuit Recipe (these weren't as crispy/crunchy as I'd hoped but they were really good. Yes, I ate one.)

- 1 Lb ground meat ( lamb, beef, chicken, turkey ) Lamb and beef tend to be higher in fat. Chicken and turkey might be a better choice for an overweight dog.
- 1 large sweet potato ( cooked and mashed )
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ( not garlic salt )or one large clove pressed
- 5 tbsp. large flake rolled oats ( organic if possible ) or 4 tbsp. ground flax seed meal

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing up very well.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. ( very slightly )
Dump ingredients on cookie sheet and spread evenly and flatly to the sides of pan. This should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
Remove pan from oven and use your cookie cutter at this time, if you want. If you don't have a cookie cutter, just score the 'cookie dough 'with a knife or pizza cutter, into squares.
Put back into the oven and bake for another hour at 250 degrees.
This will dry these healthy dog treats out. Keep an eye on your oven. The time could be more or less, depending on how hot your oven runs.
These dog treats should be fairly dry and a little crispy, but not burned.

Grain Free Dog Treat Recipes are Naturally Gluten Free.

Bacon “Bark” Sticks
(I'd sub rice flour for the wheat)
Makes 24

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 ¼ cups fat free milk
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons bacon fat
¼ cup bacon, crumbled
2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the egg, milk, honey, bacon fat, and bacon.
3. Stir the flour in, ½ cup at a time until full incorporated.
4. Knead the dough until fully combined.
5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 4” by 12” rectangle.
6. Using a pizza cutter, cut out 4” by ½” sticks until all the dough has been used.
7. Line the sticks on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Cool completely before serving.
9. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Pet Treats

Basic Homemade Frosty Paws® Recipe

32 oz. plain yogurt
1 mashed ripe banana
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey

Mix all of the ingredients with a blender or mixer and freeze in ice cube trays. Small paper cups and disposable egg cartons also make good molds. When frozen, microwave for a few seconds, unmold, and place the treats in a plastic bag and store in the freezer. (Note: if using Styrofoam egg cartons or cups, rest the containers briefly in a partially filled pan of warm water to loosen contents. Unless the Styrofoam is labeled as microwave safe, it could melt.) If you want to be fancy, bone and paw shaped molds are available.

Homemade Frozen Dog Treats

Yeah, serious downside of cheap food with Klaus..he doesn't usually have gas...

But if he has cheapo food, we all suffer.

Mylo is a one dog fart factory anyway.

Far out!

I never give my dogs commercial dog treats, they're more expensive than giving them flipping steak and you don't know what they have in them.

Plus both dogs are allergic so although I do feed cheap food (I just can't afford the good allergenic stuff in the quantities I need it...

I get these for treats, because they really do help keep their teeth clean - especially the small dog. Small dogs do not have the amount of natural enzymes in their saliva to combat tartar and other junk:

safe_image.php

I've switched to Taste Of The Wild dog food. It's gluten-free, high quality food:

tow-images2.jpg

They like it, and my big appetite dog eats less of this food than he did of the Beneful-types I used to get. It fills them up with less food, and their poops disappear in the yeard by the next day - it breaks down very quickly.

It's about $50 for a large bag, but it lasts a good while. If you get it at Pet Supermarket and get one of their frequent buyer cards, after you buy 10 bags you get a bag free. (that goes for all their food).

I used to feed TOTW but Diamond had two recalls on it already.

By the time you learn that a recall is coming your dog could be dead.

I switched mine to Wilderness. Thats the grain free from Blue Buffaloe. Super food and my dogs love it. I usually mix a teaspon of the wet, which is great BTW, once or twice a week.

Its more expensive but I wouldn't feed anything else.

I stopped giving treats long ago. In fact when I do obedience with Abby I use her dog food as a treat. She loves it.

My vet said don't use Blue Buffalo. She said that because they share equipment with other companies (Purina?) they end up with stuff that isn't in the ingredients list in the food...which is a big no-no if your dog is allergic. You need to know what exactly you're feeding or you can't control the outbreaks or find out what it is they react to.

I'm kind of confused with all this hype about the Waggin' Train chicken jerky. I've been giving that to all five of my dogs for several years now. For a long time they were getting it five days a week. I recently took my oldest dog in for a geriatric checkup, blood work and all. She is absolutely fine. No liver problems. No kidney problems. She does have arthritis in one elbow, but that's not because of eating chicken jerky.

I have cut down now to where they only get the chicken jerky as a treat after getting toe nails done. About once every two weeks. Saves a lot of money, that stuff is expensive. They absolutely LOVE it, it's their all-time favorite treat.

There is nothing linking that chicken jerky to the dog deaths. Thousands upon thousands of dogs eat those jerky treats. I would think if it was as horrible as some people say, you'd be seeing a lot more deaths, and testing of the product would also reveal a cause.

I feed my dogs Canine Caviar lamb & pearl millet. Had one rescue with allergies resulting in terrible skin problems, that's cleared up now. I also feed them a homemade "wet" food consisting of brown rice, boiled hamburger, unsalted green beans, scrambled egg and cottage cheese. They get that as a dinner treat with some chicken breast diced up and added to it and moistened with beef broth from boiling the hamburger (fat removed) and a touch of salmon oil. Their dry food is always out. I figure if they never get too hungry it reduced the chances of bolting food down at meal times and getting bloat.

Their treats include chicken jerky, bully sticks, Iams biscuits, Milkbone puppy biscuits and Greenies.

My smaller dogs have not been to the vet because of illness in years. The dobermans have been to the vet quite a bit over the years, but not because of illness, because of injuries because they're so darned athletic, and also get into the occasional sisterly spat. That's slowed down a bit since they 've gotten older. Oldest dobe is 9 years old now. The other one is 8.

Last edited:
Far out!

safe_image.php

tow-images2.jpg

I used to feed TOTW but Diamond had two recalls on it already.

By the time you learn that a recall is coming your dog could be dead.

I switched mine to Wilderness. Thats the grain free from Blue Buffaloe. Super food and my dogs love it. I usually mix a teaspon of the wet, which is great BTW, once or twice a week.

Its more expensive but I wouldn't feed anything else.

I stopped giving treats long ago. In fact when I do obedience with Abby I use her dog food as a treat. She loves it.
The recall turned out to be a false alarm. They suspected salmonella.

Blue Buffalo is good food, from what I've read, but haven't tried it.

I'm kind of confused with all this hype about the Waggin' Train chicken jerky. I've been giving that to all five of my dogs for several years now. For a long time they were getting it five days a week. I recently took my oldest dog in for a geriatric checkup, blood work and all. She is absolutely fine. No liver problems. No kidney problems. She does have arthritis in one elbow, but that's not because of eating chicken jerky.

I have cut down now to where they only get the chicken jerky as a treat after getting toe nails done. About once every two weeks. Saves a lot of money, that stuff is expensive. They absolutely LOVE it, it's their all-time favorite treat.

There is nothing linking that chicken jerky to the dog deaths. Thousands upon thousands of dogs eat those jerky treats. I would think if it was as horrible as some people say, you'd be seeing a lot more deaths, and testing of the product would also reveal a cause.

I feed my dogs Canine Caviar lamb & pearl millet. Had one rescue with allergies resulting in terrible skin problems, that's cleared up now. I also feed them a homemade "wet" food consisting of brown rice, boiled hamburger, unsalted green beans, scrambled egg and cottage cheese. They get that as a dinner treat with some chicken breast diced up and added to it and moistened with beef broth from boiling the hamburger (fat removed) and a touch of salmon oil. Their dry food is always out. I figure if they never get too hungry it reduced the chances of bolting food down at meal times and getting bloat.

Their treats include chicken jerky, bully sticks, Iams biscuits, Milkbone puppy biscuits and Greenies.

My smaller dogs have not been to the vet because of illness in years. The dobermans have been to the vet quite a bit over the years, but not because of illness, because of injuries because they're so darned athletic, and also get into the occasional sisterly spat. That's slowed down a bit since they 've gotten older. Oldest dobe is 9 years old now. The other one is 8.
My basic philosophy is to not ingest any food that is made in China and shipped here. They just do not have the strict regulations in place to ensure safety.

I know that RW-ers hate the word regulation but it can save you or a loved one's life.

My basic philosophy is to not ingest any food that is made in China and shipped here. They just do not have the strict regulations in place to ensure safety.

I know that RW-ers hate the word regulation but it can save you or a loved one's life.

Regulation is good; under or over regulation is where the problem lies.

You do know that when all that tainted pet food showed up a few years ago, they put their equivalent of the head of the FDA to death, right? They executed him because of it. I imagine that has encouraged some oversight and care with the pet food production.

In addition, the American companies, such as Waggin' Train, oversee the production of their pet treats in China. In other words, they have American personnel on the ground, in the factories there, making sure things are done right.

Nonetheless, all the talk makes me nervous. Even though there is no evidence that there is anything wrong with the chicken jerky. It wouldn't be an issue except that my dogs love it so much. Now I strictly use it as a reward when they get their toe nail trims. And when the bag I have is gone, I probably won't get anymore. : ( Poor dogs. I feel like they're the victims of people's hysteria more than any real problem with the treats. : (

Last edited:
I think you're best served to make your own/buy local (at least national).

Sheesh the Chinese routinely wipe out their own people with shit that gets into food or toys or whatever.

It's ridiculous that there are dangerous products on the shelves for dogs.

This is Crow..on the way home from a bbq last night..where he got real treats. Chicken and ribs!

427923_463049917073622_168648320_n1_zps04539992.jpg

My husband saves treats for the dogs from his dinner when he can. For example, if he has a steak, he'll save them each a bit of steak. Same with chicken or other meat. Nothing too spicy or fatty, and nothing cooked with onions.

They're quite spoiled. But they LOVE that chicken jerky. I'm not sure they wouldn't choose that over a piece of steak.

I made some homemade chicken jerky once, but it was a lot of work, and I'm already too busy! I make the wet food they get as a dinner treat, that takes quite a bit of time each week. Plus I bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts to chop up for treats and to add to their dinner. I used to bake them up some chicken or beef liver, but I haven't done that in a while.

My vet said don't use Blue Buffalo. She said that because they share equipment with other companies (Purina?) they end up with stuff that isn't in the ingredients list in the food...which is a big no-no if your dog is allergic. You need to know what exactly you're feeding or you can't control the outbreaks or find out what it is they react to.

BB has never had a recall that I'm aware of.

I feed the grain free Wilderness.

I'll have to check into the equipment deal. Never heard it before. Will contact BB for the info.

Your vet probably also sells Science Diet is his office. I'm sure he's told you how great it is. I've heard Vets get a kickback for allowing it to be sold in their offices.

New Topics

Forum List

Back