Check your dog treats

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
CwWc1.jpg

As a friend said to me:

"now you know where those bird flu chickens went"

i havent purchased dog treats in years...since the first round of deaths by treats from china....i use nothing but american products .....i use king arthurs whole wheat flour..

i make my own....its so easy....

1/2 cup of powdered milk
3/4 cup of water
1 egg
3 cups of whole wheat flour....
5 tablespoons of butter

you got your basic milk bone recipe....i just roll it out to 1/2 inch thick and bake at 325 for 55 minutes

they have no preservatives so you have to put them in the freezer...to keep

i add other things to the basic recipe

add honey, peanut butter or carob or hell go for the smack daddy and add all three

here is a link with a ton of recipes for the muttos....

Homemade Dog Treat Recipes!

Last edited:
no worries....i bake and sell dog treats at the farmers market....

i always add at least peanut butter...all natural chunky....

you can get all the stuff but the carob at walmart

the powdered milk is the expense.....and make sure it is all made in america

no worries....i bake and sell dog treats at the farmers market....

i always add at least peanut butter...all natural chunky....

you can get all the stuff but the carob at walmart

the powdered milk is the expense.....and make sure it is all made in america

I buy as little as possible from Wal*Mart.

I'm gonna try to make some - why whole wheat flour instead of unbleached all-purpose? Is that just a choice, or should the regular flour be avoided by canines?

Also, how much marijuana should I add? ;)

i only use whole wheat....i just started with that recipe and stuck with it....look around the site ....there may be regular flour recipes....i know there is one for the dog pops....just a lot of neat stuff on that site...

i never give the dogs smoke..they just get the munchies and go all to hell....

o fuck butter...you have to add butter....5 tablespoons....

i forgot that....

Far out!

I never give my dogs commercial dog treats, they're more expensive than giving them flipping steak and you don't know what they have in them.

Plus both dogs are allergic so although I do feed cheap food (I just can't afford the good allergenic stuff in the quantities I need it...it costs $200 a month and we still have flareups, so the added vet of $200 every two months for meds and vet visit..I can't do it) I don't feed a lot of it (Klaus probably 3 cups a day, given 3 x a day, 1 cup at a time) and I supplement it with lots of meat and occasional veggies (no corn but I do give them green beans now and then) from our table. It seems to work out pretty good that way.

That's the regime now. We change it as we need to.

They seem to do better if I keep changing foods...I'll find a food and they'll be good with it for a while, then I have to switch it out for something else.

Anyway, they both react to glutens pretty severely so wheat/flour is always an issue but in small amounts they're okay. And klaus LOVES peanut butter. He will get the peanut butter jar off the shelf, get the lid off, and eat it out of the jar. I just had a whole jar wrecked because he got out what he could with his tongue, then got a FOOT in there and left big old claw holes through the rest in the bottom, yuck, it was all mushed with his tongue then two big holes from his claws...we didn't try to save that one.

But I would have put it in treats if I'd had the recipe!

I had a kong ball. I put a bunch of stuff in it when I first got it, and it cemented closed and I couldn't get it flipping open.

So it sat there with rotten whatever in it all winter long and all summer long, until my son came a few days ago and cracked it open and cleaned it out.

I told him to take it for his dog, who is in an outdoor kennel most of the day when he's working, but he forgot it.

My dog just lays around the house all day, he's not a real "doer". Though he did get ahold of a book yesterday and tear it apart. All the stuff we value is chest high or higher in our house, but the kids left that one on the ottoman.

For a while the kong ball smelled a lot like a carcass, but eventually even that faded, lolol...

Actually, this recipe looks like more the thing for my pups:

1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. honey
1/2 cup water
5 tsp. chicken or beef broth
1 jar baby food meat (any flavor)

Chicken broth..or shrimp..I made shrimp broth last time we had shrimp and it's in my freezer, I think they'd go for that.

If not, I have chicken broth too.

I think I'm going with this one, rice flour.....

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Munchy%20Crunchy%20Meat%20Treats.htm

i only use whole wheat....i just started with that recipe and stuck with it....look around the site ....there may be regular flour recipes....i know there is one for the dog pops....just a lot of neat stuff on that site...

i never give the dogs smoke..they just get the munchies and go all to hell....

o fuck butter...you have to add butter....5 tablespoons....

i forgot that....

Fuck Butter - I haven't used that stuff in ages! :lol:

Far out!

I never give my dogs commercial dog treats, they're more expensive than giving them flipping steak and you don't know what they have in them.

Plus both dogs are allergic so although I do feed cheap food (I just can't afford the good allergenic stuff in the quantities I need it...

I get these for treats, because they really do help keep their teeth clean - especially the small dog. Small dogs do not have the amount of natural enzymes in their saliva to combat tartar and other junk:

checkups-dental-dogs-treats.jpg

safe_image.php

I've switched to Taste Of The Wild dog food. It's gluten-free, high quality food:

tow-images2.jpg

They like it, and my big appetite dog eats less of this food than he did of the Beneful-types I used to get. It fills them up with less food, and their poops disappear in the yeard by the next day - it breaks down very quickly.

It's about $50 for a large bag, but it lasts a good while. If you get it at Pet Supermarket and get one of their frequent buyer cards, after you buy 10 bags you get a bag free. (that goes for all their food).

dogs love it.....

butter lost favor when wet came out....

no one watches last tango in paris anymore....

I watch Key Largo and African Queen, and the Philadelphia story, every now and then....

I can't remember last tango in paris. I'm sure I've seen it. I'll have to watch it tonight, sounds good. I'm tired of watching reruns of Deadly Women.

What the hell! I edited that last post to correct spelling, and it wiped away the photos!

Forum List

Back