Check the tax box, fund the parties' parties

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Drew Griffin and Scott Bronstein
CNN Special Investigations Unit

(CNN) -- When Democrats gather in Denver, Colorado, and Republicans in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, for their political conventions this summer, they'll be taking along with them a big gift from federal taxpayers.

The Federal Elections Commission has announced that each convention will receive $17 million in taxpayer funds, money approved by Congress as part of the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.

The fund was started in the 1970s as a way to get influential money out of politics, but critics say it has evolved into another pool of money political parties and candidates can tap into for the ever-increasing costs of national elections.

more ... Check the tax box, fund the parties' parties - CNN.com

:evil:

The fund was started in the 1970s as a way to get influential money out of politics

We know that is no longer the case. This is just a fund to pad the pockets of both parties. Considering the huge amount of cash they recieve during an election cycle I think it's time to do away with the fund myself.

Here in Maine the GREEN PARTY CANDIDATES get public funding.

Sadly, the people the Maine GREENS field are ignorant rich kids who don't have a freaking clue.

As much as I want to see more parties to choose from, I am not about to support scions whose only ability is to have enough seed money to buy enough signatories to qualify to get public campaign funding.

Forum List

Back