Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Venezuela & Russia: Chavez arms up

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

President George W. Bush rightly is concerned about history repeating itself now that Fidel Castro Jr. -- better known as Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez -- has ordered massive quantities of armaments from Russia.
Mr. Chavez's Cyrillic shopping spree includes more than 100,000 AK-47 rifles (U.S. intelligence says it might reach 300,000), MiG-29 fighter jets and attack helicopters. He also plans to build an ammunition factory.

The Bush administration has lodged a formal protest with Russia for agreeing to be Chavez's bad Santa.

To understand Chavez, understand his father figure, the tyrant Castro. Cuba's agrarian reformer was all cane and no sugar when his "people's revolution" turned on his own people. And on countries in Central and South America.

And with the former Soviet Union (Russia and its captive nations), Fidel turned his missile sights on the United States. When President John F. Kennedy stood up to Fidel and the Soviets, they backed down.

Mr. Bush will not wait for brinkmanship to determine our fate. He is in good company -- JFK, as well as Presidents James Monroe and Teddy Roosevelt.

The Monroe Doctrine warns against foreign intervention in the Western Hemisphere. The Roosevelt Corollary to it states America will back its words with deeds.

Mr. Castro learned the hard way. Will his Venezuelan "son" be smarter?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/archive/s_303563.html

Bonnie said:
Mr. Chavez's Cyrillic shopping spree includes more than 100,000 AK-47 rifles (U.S. intelligence says it might reach 300,000), MiG-29 fighter jets and attack helicopters. He also plans to build an ammunition factory.

Hardly seems like an arms build up, although I'd be concerned if he was purchasing the makings for BCWMD.

Bonnie said:
Bonnie said:

Hardly seems like an arms build up, although I'd be concerned if he was purchasing the makings for BCWMD.

Related:

Castro Warns U.S. Against Plot on Chávez
BY REUTERS

Published: February 13, 2005

HAVANA, Feb. 12 (Reuters) - President Fidel Castro warned the United States on Saturday against plotting to kill his ally President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela.

"I say to world public opinion: if they assassinate Chávez, the responsibility will fall squarely on the president of the United States, George W. Bush," Mr. Castro said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/international/americas/13castro.html

Arms Buying by Venezuela Worries U.S.
By JUAN FORERO

Published: February 15, 2005

BOGOTÁ, Colombia, Feb. 14 - President Hugo Chávez's government is moving toward purchasing combat planes from Brazil, the latest step in what the Bush administration has cast as a worrisome arms buildup by the left-leaning government in an already tumultuous region.

Meeting in Caracas, the Venezuelan capital, on Monday, Mr. Chávez and his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, signed agreements establishing a strategic, economic and military alliance between the nations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/15/international/americas/15venezuela.html

"I say to world public opinion: if they assassinate Chávez, the responsibility will fall squarely on the president of the United States, George W. Bush," Mr. Castro said."

Y'know, something about Bush tells me he wouldn't care :)

Chavez Secretly Creating Venezuelan Utopia
by Scott Ott

http://www.scrappleface.com/ (Satire)

(2005-02-13) -- With little international fanfare, Venezuela's popular President Hugo Chavez is quietly overseeing creation of a utopian society similar to Fidel Castro's Cuba, according to experts at several U.S. universities.

"Venezuela, an oil-rich land of 25 million citizens, has suffered for years under the vagaries of democracy and capitalism," said an unnamed professor at the University of Colorado (C.U.), "but Mr. Chavez has ushered in a new golden age of Venezuelan glory by...
-- unifying the judiciary,
-- reducing annoying dissent,
-- encouraging poor people to move onto land owned by rich people and grow crops,
-- replenishing the nation's supply of peacekeeping AK-47s and Russian military helicopters, and
-- replacing the old national anthem with a re-written John Denver song, "Almost Heaven, Venezuela."

The economy is expected to boom in the coming years, the expert added, as investors pour their resources into a nation committed to the common good of all of its citizens, and to stability and uniformity at the highest levels of government.

"When you look at the success of Castro's Cuba, you get an idea of what's possible if Chavez follows the same time-tested success principles," the C.U. professor said. "Venezuela will become a model of a new progressive vision for human societies worldwide."

In August 2004, Mr. Chavez received a ringing endorsement from the Venezuelan people during a recall election, when only 42 percent of the voters called for his immediate ouster.
-

What Chavez is doing is taking land and property from middle class and wealthy people and giving it to the poor. Imagine waking up one morning to find five families have been given you land??? Like Dr Shivago all over again. I think I'd be running fast out of that country.

Bonnie said:
What Chavez is doing is taking land and property from middle class and wealthy people and giving it to the poor. Imagine waking up one morning to find five families have been given you land??? Like Dr Shivago all over again. I think I'd be running fast out of that country.

I'd imagine he probably pissed off some pretty important and powerful people, making them pay taxes and all. :D
This guy is a bottom feeder, who was buddies with Saddam.

Forum List

Back