CHAVEZ, i mean obama wants govt control of media

Chavez is actively shutting down media outlets. That is waaaaaaaaaay different than trying to keep them open.

I think subsidizing newspapers is a bad idea and I hope that it doesn't happen. However, to analogize Obama with Chavez is pretty stupid.

i disagree. if the media gets its paycheck from the govt will the media bites the hand that feeds it?

Obama open to newspaper bailout bill - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

if the media is funded by liberals in govt would the media then criticise liberals in govt? wait, they dont anyway

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) has introduced S. 673, the so-called "Newspaper Revitalization Act," that would give outlets tax deals if they were to restructure as 501(c)(3) corporations.

What is with these people? Don't they realize the media should be separate from the government? Obviously not.

And this is appalling. He has no right to control the media, even if it is with the best of intentions:

Obama said that good journalism is "critical to the health of our democracy," but expressed concern toward growing tends in reporting -- especially on political blogs, from which a groundswell of support for his campaign emerged during the presidential election.

"I am concerned that if the direction of the news is all blogosphere, all opinions, with no serious fact-checking, no serious attempts to put stories in context, that what you will end up getting is people shouting at each other across the void but not a lot of mutual understanding," he said.

i imagine alot of newspaper editorial boards would be rather friendly to obama if they were getting paid by obama.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Chavez is actively shutting down media outlets. That is waaaaaaaaaay different than trying to keep them open.

I think subsidizing newspapers is a bad idea and I hope that it doesn't happen. However, to analogize Obama with Chavez is pretty stupid.

Also, this bill wouldn't provide subsidies for newspapers. It would allow them to convert to non-profit status.

Only the rightists under Directive 63 of the Secret Committee of the Fatherland (yes, that Fatherland that required Glenn Beck to murder that young girl) have a plan to take over the media.

That's one hell of a dishonest thread title you got there, sarah.

No it isn't. Obama doesn't give money without getting a seat on the board of directors.

But unless he does succeed in taking control of the internet, the papers are obsolete anyway.

If he does remove the internet from us as a reliable source of information, then I could see why he'd want them.

You guys are lucky Rupert Murdoch hasn't polluted your newspapers. Whatever Mr. Murdoch says goes in the UK. He owns a tabloid paper called "The Sun" that basically decides who the country votes for at a general election. The political bias in our media is pretty shocking and the racist undertones with regards to attitudes towards illegal immigrants is swelling support for right-wing fascist parties.

Although I find the American papers a little spurious in what they want to say, I find comfort in the fact that there is variety in opinion - which makes a nice change from hearing the "doom-mongering" of our government.

i disagree. if the media gets its paycheck from the govt will the media bites the hand that feeds it?

Sarah, you are quite right to be worried over this, and while the direct comparison to what is going on with Chavez and what may happen with Obama is not similar in tactic, the overall results could share some common ground, that being a media owing its direct survival to the government in power.

The role of the media has already been complicit in overt favortism, as shown by media study after media study. More recent polling indicates a growing distrust by the general public of what the news is telling them.

This will only worsen if Obama intercedes with taxpayer dollars on behalf of the various struggling media outlets. Let those that can stand alone stand alone, and those that cannot, go the way of the Dodo. If Darwin can be supported in the classroom, why not the world of media? Let the strongest survive...

Perhaps we should also bailout the buggywhip and steam locomotive industries?

Let them fail. If they didn't have the foresight to diversify beyond print, screw them...they need to fail.

Sarah, you are quite right to be worried over this, and while the direct comparison to what is going on with Chavez and what may happen with Obama is not similar in tactic, the overall results could share some common ground, that being a media owing its direct survival to the government in power.

The role of the media has already been complicit in overt favortism, as shown by media study after media study. More recent polling indicates a growing distrust by the general public of what the news is telling them.

This will only worsen if Obama intercedes with taxpayer dollars on behalf of the various struggling media outlets. Let those that can stand alone stand alone, and those that cannot, go the way of the Dodo. If Darwin can be supported in the classroom, why not the world of media? Let the strongest survive...

i agree, and yesterday on tv obama was complaining he wasnt able to control what was on cable news.

Forum List

Back