Charts Obama Would Rather You Not Look at

Wow, we lost jobs the very day Obama was sworn in. Good thing Republican policies had nothing to do with that.

Wow, we lost jobs the very day Obama was sworn in. Good thing Republican policies had nothing to do with that.

First let me commend you on posting a somewhat reasonable post, though snarky.

Second, I dont think the culprits are Republican or Democrat, just Wall Street Bankster.

There's a problem with the metrics.

Certainly, U3 unemployment numbers don't tell the whole story - but neither do labor force petition numbers. There are many other factors in labor force participation than "unemployed" - retired people, people who have returned to school, and countless other things.

It's a complicated situation, and I'm certainly not claiming that everything's hunky dory - my girlfriend has been looking for a job for over a year now - but cherry-picking metrics that agree with your point (I'm not referring to you, but to the author of the article) isn't any more "true" than the official U3 number.

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

Are there more jobs now than when Obama took office?

The answer is no. There are less jobs now than when Obama took office.

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

This is what I was talking about.

The answer isn't "No". It's "Yes".

The total number of private nonfarm jobs have increased by nearly 4 million since Obama took office.

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

The total number of private nonfarm jobs have increased by nearly 4 million since Obama took office.

Only if you trust the stats coming out of the Obama Administration.

However my information says we've lost a couple million.

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

Your chart is from BLS numbers as well - the same source as my numbers.

What's this secret "information" that you have?

If you read the article ridiot you would have read the sharp decline started when the dimwits took control of both houses in congress.

You only count non-farm private jobs.

I count them all.

Also the U3 employment numbers are used by the BLS when they should be using the more accurate U6 numbers.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics ("BLS"), U6 is currently sitting at 16.4% and is defined by them as including:

"Marginally attached workers or persons who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the recent past. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not looking currently for a job. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule."

You only count non-farm private jobs.

I count them all.

Also the U3 employment numbers are used by the BLS when they should be using the more accurate U6 numbers.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics ("BLS"), U6 is currently sitting at 16.4% and is defined by them as including:

"Marginally attached workers or persons who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the recent past. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not looking currently for a job. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule."

Farm jobs are also up since 2008.

Are you claiming that there have been more than 4 million public sector jobs cut, to make up for the difference?

And, BLS computes both the U3 and U6 numbers - as well as the U1, U2, U4, and U5 numbers. That's where those numbers come from.

The fact that U3 has been the standard unemployment indicator for decades has nothing to do with Obama's administration, or BLS.

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

For what you say to be true, we would have had to have a comppensating increase in population ot offset the drop in jobs per person, but our population growth has been less than 1% for a long time now. So population growth would not solve your problem.

So how can we have more jobs today when we have a negligably larger population and about a 5% drop in jobs available?

Oh, thats right; fuzzy math!

bls-emp-pop-ratio.jpg

It's not so complicated.

For what you say to be true, we would have had to have a comppensating increase in population ot offset the drop in jobs per person, but our population growth has been less than 1% for a long time now. So population growth would not solve your problem.

So how can we have more jobs today when we have a negligably larger population and about a 5% drop in jobs available?

Your chart doesn't show a 5% drop in jobs available - it shows a 5% drop in labor force participation. It's not the same thing at all.

Not to mention, adding 4 million jobs is a drop in the bucket when the country has a population of hundreds of millions.

I'm not claiming that my numbers are right, and yours are wrong. I'm simply saying that neither my numbers nor yours tell the whole story.

Your chart doesn't show a 5% drop in jobs available - it shows a 5% drop in labor force participation. It's not the same thing at all.

Of course it is, as I screwed u p. My apologies but i meant to refer to the chart as proportional, jobs/person. Jobs per person has dropped far faster than the population has grown is what I meant to say. My bad.

Not to mention, adding 4 million jobs is a drop in the bucket when the country has a population of hundreds of millions.

Around 308 million in 2010. But the work force is only 131 million.
America's Work Force Changing Radically - CBS News

I'm not claiming that my numbers are right, and yours are wrong. I'm simply saying that neither my numbers nor yours tell the whole story.

Employment Situation Summary

If you dont read closely and look at seasonal adjustments, adjustments to workforce, life/death adjustments, etc it is easy to let the pro-Obama main stream press stack the deck for their hero.

You all act like he is the first president in history to try and project a more positive image than in reality.

Didn't GWB declare mission accomplished on that one boat that one time...?

Face it. Obama is going to win in 2012. Hate all you want.

Forum List

Back