Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Anyone heard they're remaking this? Johnny Depp is Willy Wonka, and it's being directed by Tim Burton, so at the very least you know it's going to be reeeally weird. The original book was actually very dark and the Gene Wilder was extremely toned down, I'm guessing Burton's going for the darker, goth feel of the original. I'm sort of excited for this. Here's the poster...

charliefactory.jpg

I have heard this is being remade. I haven't seen it with Gene Wilder though. I read the book several times when I was growing up, and I've read it to my daughter. One of my favs.

Said1 said:
I have heard this is being remade. I haven't seen it with Gene Wilder though. I read the book several times when I was growing up, and I've read it to my daughter. One of my favs.

Loved the one with Gene Wilder----- bet the one with Depp will be a scary movie!

In our family, we have the perfect person to play Veruca Salt!! Right Evil?

Hobbit said:
Dude, Gene Wilder was a scary psychopath and don't get me started on the oopma loompas. That movie freaked me out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that's just too funny!!! loved the movie, but gotta agree with you on the oompa loompas!!!!!

all the children die horrible deaths

agosstoff?(the fat kid)-sucked into pipe but this time he explodes when he gets stuck.

violet-bursts open and insides spill out

verucca-falls to her death

cowboy(forgot his name)-gets shrunk and then stepped on

charlie-gets torn to shreds in the wonkavator,instead of breaking through roof

cptpwichita said:

agosstoff?(the fat kid)-sucked into pipe but this time he explodes when he gets stuck.

How pleasant.

cptpwichita said:

LOL a not so subtle lesson on morality ?

Yeah, I heard the book was pretty messed up, especially compared to the original movie.

I'm glad kids' movies are starting to get a little edgier again. When I was a kid, we had movies like Goonies and Gremlins, full of violence and some bad language, but still geared toward kids. I think kids can handle a lot more than adults realize. Movies like this one and School of Rock are making kids movies fun again.

I don't know that this is true, for I haven't read the book, but I was led to believe the real oompa loompas are actually black indentured servants.

No. I'm not kidding.

Does anyone have any idea whether or not this is true?

Maybe it won't be so dark after all...

Screenwriter John August had never even seen Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) when asked by Tim Burton to write the script. After finishing the screenplay, he finally watched the 1971 version, only to be surprised at how much darker the "family film" was to his own.

Wow! That's... kind of disappointing. Well, hopefully Burton's direction will bring the film in a slightly darker direction. I really like Burton and Johnny Depp together, Edward Scissorhands was pretty good and Ed Wood is one of my favorite movies.

Dan said:
Wow! That's... kind of disappointing.

Yeah I know....

I also did some other research.

The oompa loompas are in fact black pygmies from "Dark Africa", wearing leaves and animal skins, as far as the book is concerned.

Wonder how that will be dealt with.

BTW dan, what the hell is that super milk chan show about? Ive watched 2 episodes and i cant understand the shit. Im usually pretty into anime, but that is beyond my comprehension. I feel like im getting dumber just looking at the pixels while its on.

Well, I don't really know how to explain it. Mostly it's just weirdness. Basically, I find it interesting/funny because it is so weird and nonsensical, not because there are really any jokes or anything to it. Admittedly it's not the greatest thing on Adult Swim or anything. I have a DVD of Super Milk Chan, and the uncensored original version is much funnier (Milk has a really filthy mouth).

I've watched it with all my friends who dig Adult Swim, and only one of them likes it, so it's apparently not generally well-recieved, I guess.

i like bizarrae anime. I like some of the shows offered on Adult swim like aqua teen, harvey birdman and to a lesser extent sealab but this show just escapes my grasp of comprehension.

I like the nonsensicalness of Aqua teen or the campy humor of birdman but milk chan is just weird. Sometimes they hit. Sometimes they miss. Real Japanese cartoons are pretty bizarre though.

milk chan is just weird. Sometimes they hit. Sometimes they miss.

I pretty much feel the same way. Only, I think it hits more often than it misses. And, I like to see a show doing something different, which I'd say this definitely does.

Forum List

Back