Charles Taylor Guilty of War crimes

LAfrique

VIP Member
May 16, 2011
Several hours ago, a UN-propped special court found former Liberian president, Charles Taylor, guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity - allAfrica.com: Liberia: Security Council Welcomes Conviction in War Crimes Trial of Charles Taylor

While some people believe this was world justice and victory for Africa, I believe this was simply another hushing of an African nationalist and the reinstatement of colonialism in Africa:

Charles Taylor became president in Liberia after a coup. But rather than adopting a US-backed agenda, Taylor leaned towards a somewhat nationalistic agenda. Charles Taylor would also be said to have aided Sierra Leone's Revolutionary United Front (RUF) in their efforts to oust their UN-puppet president Ahmad Tejan Kabbah.

While Charles Taylor and the RUF had their flaws, the fact remains that they were fighting colonialism in Africa, which is currently being reinstated allover Africa with approval of the UN and NATO. Therefore, the decision of the UN special court was nothing but success for imperialists who are bent on preventing independence, progress and prosperity in Africa.

It is not justice when freedom fighters are constantly silenced and haters of freedom and independence are free to thrive in developing nations. You know, Africa would be A-Okay, were it not for imperialists bent on colonizing Africa.

All entities who made rebuttal on my assertion that decision of UN-backed special court was in fact success for colonialists have deleted their Twitter rebuttals. I wonder what they eventually discovered to cause the change of mind. I wonder.

Do you dispute the fact that Taylor recruited children, drugged them with a mixture of cocaine and potash (usually applied to a cut on the skull), and forced them to kill people, often including their own families?

And do you accept that Taylor's intervention into Sierra Leone to steal diamonds was itself an act of colonialism?

Do you dispute the fact that Taylor recruited children, drugged them with a mixture of cocaine and potash (usually applied to a cut on the skull), and forced them to kill people, often including their own families?

And do you accept that Taylor's intervention into Sierra Leone to steal diamonds was itself an act of colonialism?

Already declared Charles Taylor was not without flaws. Simply pointing out Charles Taylor and RUF (both with flaws) were compelled by colonialists to take desperate measures. Long and short:

The wrongs of Charles Taylor and RUF may not be, were it not for the impositions by colonialists. And as can now be seen, colonialism is gaining more grounds in Africa.

As per recruiting children for criminal activities: A lot of that goes on even in the US - Kids and hackers, oh my! DefCon adds kids track - USATODAY.com

Given there were no colonialists in Sierra Leone or Liberia during the time Taylor came to power, I can't imagine what those 'desperate measures' were.

The fact that the killing of the RUF forced the democratically elected government of SR to hire private miltary contractors would suggest the opposite.

There is virtually 0 colonial influence in Africa these days - this is merely a conveniant excuse for Africans to avoid taking responsibility for their own errors.

Nine countries placed their national armies in the DR Congo during the recent war - not one was from outside Africa. THAT is colonialism.

that really sounds like something that came straight out of the cia cook book

Charles Taylor is a thug. His buck naked teenaged "warriors" for some reason thought it was a good idea to fire on the US Embassy. Well place rounds from Marine snipers put a stop to that. Sending intoxicated children to war is not cool. That is not from the CIA. I was there when it happened.

that really sounds like something that came straight out of the cia cook book

It does - and it is also true.

The practice is described in detail in books published by ex-child soldiers, and has been witnessed by hundreds of people across the region. Ex-soldiers stil bear the minor scars near their temple.

Meanwhile an erstwhile supporter and backer of Taylor gets the Nobel Peace Prize. Isn't the world funny when it's being hypocritical?

It isn't at all - I don't think Sirleaf Johnson has anything to apologise for, really.

It's not easy to know who the bad guys are before they have done much bad.

Meanwhile an erstwhile supporter and backer of Taylor gets the Nobel Peace Prize. Isn't the world funny when it's being hypocritical?

It isn't at all - I don't think Sirleaf Johnson has anything to apologise for, really.

It's not easy to know who the bad guys are before they have done much bad.

Yes well, she just helped one bloody dictator in his rise because another bloody dictator stood in her way. The fact that she got the Nobel Peace Prize again demonstrates how worthless and hollow that award has become.

Is the OP really defending Taylor? WTF?

It looks like he is.

The main problem in most countries on the African continent is the men. They are resistant to change, especially if it benefits anyone but themselves, eg. women and children. The path to improvements is through the women. They need to be brought on board for STD prevention, infant mortality, malaria prevention, quality water, nutrition, and the list goes on. Many of these program initiatives are canexed by the men and the cycle of dispair goes on.

It looks like he is.

The main problem in most countries on the African continent is the men. They are resistant to change, especially if it benefits anyone but themselves, eg. women and children. The path to improvements is through the women. They need to be brought on board for STD prevention, infant mortality, malaria prevention, quality water, nutrition, and the list goes on. Many of these program initiatives are canexed by the men and the cycle of dispair goes on.

Men like Charles Taylor and Robert Mugabe need to be thrown aside for Africa to make any steps forward, as long as idiots like Lafreak continue to look at those murderous clowns as heroes nothing will change.

It looks like he is.

Men like Charles Taylor and Robert Mugabe need to be thrown aside for Africa to make any steps forward, as long as idiots like Lafreak continue to look at those murderous clowns as heroes nothing will change.

I agree with both of these statements.

(On the other hand, I also have to say that I meet absolutely fabulous men in Africa every week.)

It looks like he is.

I agree with both of these statements.

(On the other hand, I also have to say that I meet absolutely fabulous men in Africa every week.)

There are lots of good men in Africa unfortunately it seems like much of their leadership are corrupt inept men.

I didn't mean to speak ill of all Africans but local policy in general keeps the society from advancing. I have been there and have a large number of African high school students. They are among the nicest people I have ever met.

Forum List

Back