Charles Colson, dead at 80

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Talk about your blast from the past.

Watergate figure, Christian leader Charles Colson dies

He created the Prison Fellowship Ministries in 1976 to minister to prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families. It runs work-release programs, marriage seminars and classes to help prisoners after they get out. An international offshoot established chapters around the world.

"You can't leave a person in a steel cage and expect something good to come out of him when he is released," Colson said in 2001.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Thank you, Joe. It was a blast from the past because my main awareness of him (as an Assembly of God teen) was the prison ministries. The concept of Watergate was really fuzzy to me, at that age.

• Banned
Another point - I must have ADD. Because this is what happened in my head.

Oz.

Dean Winters was on Oz.

MAYHEM!

All THAT to say, I got one of my favorite quotes ever from Oz. Don't even know which actor uttered the line, but I never forgot it.

How would you like it if the rest of your life was based on the worst thing you ever did.

Proof that redemption is always possible.

proof a prick can stay a prick while embracing religion. Chuck stayed a prick. He never apologized to Elsberg and there are other instances of his nasty side that came through his christian shield.

I admired the man for his ability ti be a mean prick. he never really changed. he just found religion, that's all.

and he spent his time with other criminal pricks who fucked society and individuals.

:eusa_angel:

Chuck was a simple man who was hard-headed in everything he did. I do not doubt his passionate embrace of voodoo christianity, but he never apologize to Daniel Elsberg, and ...

Watergate figure Charles Colson has died at 80 *| ajc.com

While he admitted he'd been wrong to do so much of Nixon's dirty work, he remained embittered at one of the sources who'd exposed the wrongdoing. In 2005, when it was revealed that Mark Felt was the infamous "Deep Throat" responsible for the fall of the Nixon administration, Colson was disgusted, having worked so closely with Felt. "He goes out of his life on a very sour note, not as a hero," Colson said.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/politics/politi...d-at-80-a.html

He grew up at 15 different addresses in and around the city and attended eight schools. He got his first taste of politics as a teenage volunteer in Robert F. Bradford’s reelection campaign for governor of Massachusetts. He said he learned “all the tricks,’’ including “planting misleading stories in the press, voting tombstones, and spying on the opposition in every possible way.’’

Last edited:
I'm sorry. As it turns out? He was human.

He did a great deal of good for a great many people.

yeah, right. buy the bullshit. he did the christian thing. he did a lot of harm to society and to individuals. he never apologized to Elsberg. He stayed mad at Deep Throat/Felt.

He was a prick to the end. No need to glorify him.

proof a prick can stay a prick while embracing religion. Chuck stayed a prick. He never apologized to Elsberg and there are other instances of his nasty side that came through his christian shield.

I admired the man for his ability ti be a mean prick. he never really changed. he just found religion, that's all.

and he spent his time with other criminal pricks who fucked society and individuals.

Chuck was a simple man who was hard-headed in everything he did. I do not doubt his passionate embrace of voodoo christianity, but he never apologize to Daniel Elsberg, and ...

While he admitted he'd been wrong to do so much of Nixon's dirty work, he remained embittered at one of the sources who'd exposed the wrongdoing. In 2005, when it was revealed that Mark Felt was the infamous "Deep Throat" responsible for the fall of the Nixon administration, Colson was disgusted, having worked so closely with Felt. "He goes out of his life on a very sour note, not as a hero," Colson said.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/politi...d-at-80-a.html

He grew up at 15 different addresses in and around the city and attended eight schools. He got his first taste of politics as a teenage volunteer in Robert F. Bradford’s reelection campaign for governor of Massachusetts. He said he learned “all the tricks,’’ including “planting misleading stories in the press, voting tombstones, and spying on the opposition in every possible way.’’

VOODOO Christianity as compared to "its all random" atheism...................................:lol:

It seems he changed, fundamentally.

fundamentally???

really? open your eyes. gawd, you christian types are fucking sick.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/politi...d-at-80-a.html

yeah, right. buy the bullshit. he did the christian thing. he did a lot of harm to society and to individuals. he never apologized to Elsberg. He stayed mad at Deep Throat/Felt.

He was a prick to the end. No need to glorify him.

Look, my guess is you're not a Christian? Bad doesn't wipe out good, and vice-versa. He did a lot of good for a lot of people.

And he's dead.

He's dead. So now you're picking up a burden that's not yours to carry. He carried his unforgiveness, and now you're carrying the other guy's. You don't have a dog in this hunt. If the worst thing he did after prison was carry a grudge, then Go, CHUCK! Because he could have taken a different path.

But he didn't.

Colson’s activities after prison don’t mitigate the crimes he committed as a Watergate conspirator. He betrayed his Nation and attempted to destroy the Republic and Constitution. He violated the rule of law by maintaining the president was above the law.

If Colson did any ‘good,’ it was to make us aware of how vulnerable our civil liberties can be when men of bad faith are placed in positions of power.

We must be forever vigilant accordingly.

Finding God is when true healing can begin. Colson found God and when on to do a lot of good in the World. He was forgiven and now rests with his Lord. It's a good lesson for all of us to learn something from. God loves us and forgives us. R.I.P. Mr. Colson.

Colson’s activities after prison don’t mitigate the crimes he committed as a Watergate conspirator. He betrayed his Nation and attempted to destroy the Republic and Constitution. He violated the rule of law by maintaining the president was above the law.

If Colson did any ‘good,’ it was to make us aware of how vulnerable our civil liberties can be when men of bad faith are placed in positions of power.

We must be forever vigilant accordingly.

He spent seven months in prison, remember "PAID YOUR DEBT TO SOCIETY".

I]

I'm not sure why anyone would want to defend Felt at this point.

Felt's entire motivation was not "good government" but that he didn't get the job as FBI director after J. Edgar Hoover finally died. So his goal was to put out a bunch of leaks, hoping Nixon would get upset and fire the guy who did get the job. That's actually petty. It is no wonder why Woodward and Bernstein waited something like 35 years to actually expose the fact that they were played and were less than honest about "Deep Throat's" motivations.

Incidently as one of the last sane Republicans, I think it was actually a terrible thing Nixon was taken down. The man was visionary, understood the GOP should be on the right side of working folks. He even tried to implement the Metric System nationally, which is really something that would help us in international trade.

My dad was probalby the last guy to stick up for Nixon, observing pragmatically that Nixon did what everyone else did, he just got caught.

Every subsequent President has just learned to serve up scapegoats.

Forum List

Back