Charity Gig

jtblizard

Rookie
Sep 14, 2010
I've got an ethical dilemma on my hands. I'm in a band called Parlour Shakedown and we were booked to play this charity gig. The gig is this Saturday and is for a local organization called the Chesterfield Crisis Pregnancy Center. Up until a week ago today, we were unaware what the charity was called and therefore didn't know anything about it other than the fact that our money would be going to "raise awareness for teen pregnancy." I looked into the charity yesterday and learned that it is one of many Crisis Pregnancy Centers. Crisis Pregnancy Centers are notorious for being right-wing, Christian organizations that often provide false information to pregnant women.

I consider myself a moderate Liberal and consider myself open-minded and accepting of other ideas. I do disagree with this organization, though. I feel like pregnant women need to be aware of all of their options in order to make an informed decision. Crisis Pregnancy Centers are known for providing false information regarding abortions and the health risks and I can't feel right donating money to this charity.

Here's the dilemma: my band committed to playing the show and allowed the people organizing the event to choose the charity, subject to our approval. All of this communication went through our bassist's father who has the women in charge as a patient. The bassist's father didn't tell us the name of the charity until a week ago today and it was yesterday that I did all of the research on the organization. I am torn because we committed to play the gig but I feel wronged because I feel like we should have been made aware and given to opportunity to veto the charity. I feel like this may be the fault of the bassist's father but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

I called the woman in charge of the event tonight and spoke to her about possibly changing the charity but she basically said she would rather cancel the event than change the charity because she already told the Crisis Pregnancy center that they would be getting our money.

Also, this has given rise to some arguing within the band. Two of us are strongly opposed to the idea of giving money to a charity that we so strongly disagree with and the other three are tied to the commitment we made to play the show.

It just makes me feel sick thinking about raising money for something that I disagree with. If I weren't such good friends with everyone in the band, I would just flat-out refuse to play the show if the charity couldn't be changed.

Thoughts? I've thought it through a thousand times and can't seem to come up with a solution that would seem morally sound to me. Has anyone been in a situation similar to this before? What do you think I should do?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this if you did.

What's morally sound is what you believe at your core to be so. If you find this group to be offensive and undeserving of your time, then take a stand and walk out. But take a minute also to consider any good they may do...there aren't too many charities out there that have their hearts in the wrong place. If they are more deserving than undeserving, according to your ethics, then stick to it.

-The Jerk

My gut is telling me "don't play this show." At the same time though, I can't feel right about bailing on my friends when they want to play it. It feels like either way I will be letting someone down. If I do it, I'm letting myself down and if I don't do it, I'm letting my friends down.

Wear a t-shirt that displays your point of view. It seems your band was somewhat duped into doing this gig skirting the terms of your contract. Ya...wear something that indicates your position.

Play for the sake of playing. How your music impacts those around you is impossible to predict. Share you talent

Forum List

Back