Charging a six-year old as an adult

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by acludem, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I'm not sure how they can charge a 6 year old as an adult. I thought that policy was reserved for teens that were borderline adults and had the capacity to make decisions as an adult - which a 6 year old clearly cannot do. There will be quite a backlash should the prosecutor choose this route.

Should the allegations prove true I think he does need punishment/rehabilitation though. Even a 6 year old can learn that actions have consequences, but I think he's young enough where rehabilitation could help him lead a promising life.

A couple of months in a juvenile hall to instill some fear, and then a few years locked up at an institution that can help him. He'll be awfully scarred from this and will definitely need a bit of psychiatric help to keep from affecting the rest of his life.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Ah, just throw a booster seat on old sparky and get it over with!:laugh:

Sorry, I know how wrong that was.

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I was smoking a cig while reading and literally spit it out of my mouth while laughing out loud!

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hehe.

5. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11

You just redeemed youself in my eyes :p I didn't think you had it in you.

Seriously though, charging a 6 year old as an adult brings about a lot of questions about how much intent could the child have formed and does a 6 year old really know the consequences of their actions? I cannot imagine that ever being the case. And I certainly believe in holding people responsible for their actions but that's carrying it too far. Of course, if the gun manufacturers are responsible (as liberals seem to believe) than what the hell, so is a 6 year old!