Character Assasination, A Republican thing?

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
The first that comes to mind is Bill Clinton. His attempted assasination just didn't work out. The second that comes to mind is Al Gore. That one deserves it's own paragraph as it is still relevant and continues with consequence.

Al is really a good American. He served his country in time of need and he even forsook an officer's position for which he was well qualified and enlisted instead and his political connections would have made his service altogether unnecessary. Some say his political connections got him a "cushy" gig as a photo/journalist that served in Viet Nam. WOW!!!!!!! That's a hard one to respond to as I know of no cushy gigs in Viet Nam and especially as a "Photo/Journalist". Some also go on and on about Al "inventing the internet". Al never said that but he was never successful in refuting that claim. But he was definitely instrumental in advancing the legislation required to the digital age. That was never mentioned by the assasinators. just the misquote of his saying that. I can go on but I won't, for now.

Max Cleland is an exceptional American. He gave three limbs in Viet Nam to defend democracy and our American republic. He didn't plan it that way but that is what happened. In spite of his disabilities he forged on. He does everything with his left hand although he WAS right handed. He doesn't have that hand anymore and both of his legs were put up for American claim to fighting the evils of Viet Nam as well. But Saxby Chambliss called him unpatriotic and successfully got enough of the unthinking and uninformed populace of Georgia to believe him. What a shame. I think this will come back to haunt him or at least I hope it does.

I could go on but I think this is enough to digest for this time.

Anybody want to talk about Paul Wellstone?

An American by birth, a Patriot by nature, A Democrat by a life's education.

Psychoblues

Wow... let's talk about Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich for a second before we start talking about Clinton and Gore.
Ronald Reagan has been hated by liberals since... oh, let's call it 1980, though he was a vocal force in the party starting in the late 60's. The Left ridiculed SDI as "Star Wars" and called Reagan a warmonger for his tough stance against the USSR.
Newt Gingrich was dragged through the dirt as the most evil man since Reagan, or maybe Hitler.
Not to mention the character assassinations-in-progress of Rush Limbaugh, Rumsfield, Powell (formerly everyone's favorite moderate Republican), and Dubya himself. While I'm sure that you can't limit the practice to either side of the aisle, don't try to pretend that the Dems are oh-so-innocent.

And yeah, let's talk about Paul Wellstone. The Dems refused to invite the Vice-President (and President of the Senate) to his funeral, deciding instead to turn his funeral into a We-Hate-The-GOP-fest. Certainly not Wellstone's fault, but what a joke the DNC turned his memorial into.

I blame the run of the mill Americans for the way politicians- on both sides- keep attacking their opponents in a most cowardly fashion. What most people out there seem to want to hear, discuss and believe in are these types of "character assassination". Someone is buying the newspapers, watching the tv, someone is voting for these people and donating money to their causes.

Fact is when you cater to the lowest common denomenator, you get the lowest.

That goes for just about all people in the political process these days, unfortunately. I have yet to see the majority of candidates or those supporting and surrounding them just once say:

"my opponent is a good person. I believe that they truly want to do what's right and fair. Too bad their ideas on how to get it aren't going to work because..."

Ronald Reagan has been hated by liberals since... oh, let's call it 1980, though he was a vocal force in the party starting in the late 60's. The Left ridiculed SDI as "Star Wars" and called Reagan a warmonger for his tough stance against the USSR.

I loved Reagan, I even thought the 'star wars' moniker was hilarious, but Reagan truly was a good president (at least in my opinion).

Newt Gingrich was dragged through the dirt as the most evil man since Reagan, or maybe Hitler.

Isn't that pretty close to the truth? The way I heard it, with the exception of the most partisan republicans, most of his party didn't like him either and thought his political attacks were out of control.

And yeah, let's talk about Paul Wellstone. The Dems refused to invite the Vice-President (and President of the Senate) to his funeral, deciding instead to turn his funeral into a We-Hate-The-GOP-fest. Certainly not Wellstone's fault, but what a joke the DNC turned his memorial into.

To think that wellstones family let this turn into the hate fest that it did, i'm sure mr. wellstone was turning in his grave.

There's an awful lot here to respond to. Liberals hating Reagan? I am a liberal. I never and I don't hate Reagan at all and I don't know of many liberals that even might. His economic policies were not very well thought out but his demeanor, which is most important amongst the masses, was superb. There is no question in my mind about it. Reagan meant well. GB I? Well, that's another question but it wasn't asked so I won't respond.

Newt, on the other hand, deserves what he's sown. He was exiled by the republicans and rightly so. But his policies are again rearing their ugly and evil heads within the shrub deal and I think the shrub will also be scorned and exiled in the fashion of the Newt deal. It's a sickness somewhat like leprosy. The irrationals along with the politicals will shoe him right on out the door in 2004.

As far as Rush is concerned, he is nothing more than an entertainer. Much like professional wrestling. He's taken far too seriously by the unenlightened than he deserves. But this is America. If you can sell it, go for it. Rush has certainly cornered far more of a market that I would have given him credit for several years ago. Just goes to show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rumsfeld has always been a hawk. He realized many years ago which side his bread was buttered. It's his gig. He can't be considered for actual elective office but he doggone sure makes a good appointee. A "good ol' boy" from the word go.

Powell, well I think he's just thankful to be able to pass for an oreo. I do think he means well as his arguments that have been reported make pretty good sense to me. I just wish he didn't make such a spectacle when he is kneeling.

I ain't even going into the shrub. Way too late and a beer or two past that kind of coherence.

You USMB cat's are definitely the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Character assassination and politics have always gone hand-in-hand. If you think it's bad now, you should check out how campaigns were waged years ago. Thomas Jefferson was said to be supportive of murder, rape and incest. Andrew Jackson's wife was called a whore by his opponents. This is the least of some of it. Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton ended up in a duel because Burr insulted Hamilton's wife. Nowadays, what character assination goes on, comes from both sides. Though, I think the media pretty much chooses who will be the targets.

Acludem

Forum List

Back