chaos theory and linear time

xeinenth

Jun 7, 2015
Can chaos theory alter linear time?? That our future dictates the past. So by snapping fingers we can affect prior events; just as a butterfly flapping it's wings at a random instance can cause miscellaneous myriad movements (such as hurricane formation and other kinds of emergent behavior). In that time changes and does not remain static. Strogatz lectured on this various times as seen in online videos [just general reference]. And Smolin may know a bit about these subjects too (but may or may not have taken this approach).

Ya know ... I love it but frankly, I don't understand chaos any more than I understand quantum physics.

Can we start there?

Like to think the past is fixed, unalterable, and beyond our interference with it. The butterfly thing is just a metaphor, not literally true. Air molecules all 'contact' one another, so moving one moves the one next to it, and the one next to that, and on n on. Air is really better thought of in the same way we think of water.

From Smolin's book: Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe (pg 85):

“Barbour's idea is radical but not difficult to explain in words. He asserts that all that exists, fundamentally, is a vast collection of frozen moments. Each moment has the form of a configuration of the universe. Each configuration exists — and is experienced by any beings caught in that configuration — as a moment of time. . . All any of us experience, he insists, is moments — snapshots of experience. Snap your fingers — that was one snapshot, one moment in the heap. Snap your fingers again — that's another moment. You have the impression that the second followed the first, but that's an illusion. You think so because in the second moment you have a memory of the first moment. But that memory is not an experience of time passing (which Barbour says never happens); it's just that the memory of the first moment is part of the experience of the second moment. All we experience — and all that's real, according to Barbour — are the individual moments in the heap.”

Time is not a static property; but an illusory perception as stridently maintained by many historically renowned physicists. We must remain internally localized — not to reconcile ourselves to a single collective yearning. Even if we are in a common pool, it doesn't mean that we'll all agree, we'd still divergently aberrate toward greater entropy. Einstein ushered the way for relative chronology; so that my innate sense of a ticking watch is not exactly determined by your very own observational judgments however strong they may be. Then, it is in the highest interest that we make the effort to guarantee unrestrained clearance to our freethinking intellectual dissentients. That if they are not viewed kindly by that of majority decree they can still smooth along the tide and not wither away, unto any solipsist trickery. But of course, belligerent terminators as is fictionally materialized are of a solipsistic inclining character due to the fact they are deterministically endowed. Maybe there are arbitrated constants since I don't see time's arrow spinning incessantly notwithstanding being in a dreamily woozy imaginary reality — dumbfoundedly thunderstruck to no ends by tottering distraction. So chaos abounds, change drags on, the clock stops and we all carry on. Note: Sorry, this is a bit of an intense subject... hope the quote helps.

Forum List

Back