Chanting USA is racist now

I still don't see chanting "USA" after you win a game as being racist. If the students were mostly minorities and they chanted "USA" would anyone be crying racism? Now whites are not only suppose to be ashamed of their color, they are suppose to be ashamed of their country. I don't get it.

I was wondering why no one has mentioned the 'real racist' remarks made by the 'other school'.

Then I realized.... the 'whites' dont have any focus groups like LULAC or La Raza to bitch and whine for them.

'Alamo whites' being chanted at the winning team is indeed racist if ya ask me, but who cares what I, a stupid white guy, feels about it.

Okay, let me get this straight...the winners chanted USA USA USA but were stopped within about 5 seconds by the coach. The losers were already in the locker room and didn't hear anything. The winners appologized anyway, but the losers, who didn't hear anythinhg say the apology isn't enough. Is that right?

Yes, pretty much, but the losing team was chanting 'Alamo whites...Alamo whites...Alamo whites...' before going to the locker room.

Small detail left out of most stories.... not sure why
:eusa_think:

Actually, that's an alligation that cannot be confirmed in any of the links provided. And if that were true, seems to me the people on the team would have been banned from the state championship, not the students in the stands.

And as I understand it, the losing team was already in the locker room when the chanting started...so now I'm even further confused.

I was wondering why no one has mentioned the 'real racist' remarks made by the 'other school'.

Then I realized.... the 'whites' dont have any focus groups like LULAC or La Raza to bitch and whine for them.

'Alamo whites' being chanted at the winning team is indeed racist if ya ask me, but who cares what I, a stupid white guy, feels about it.

Bringing up the truly racist remarks made by the real racists would be....(gasp!) !

This is one of the most egregious abuses of the "race" card yet. Let's just forget that USA would represent a nationality that should be shared by all in attendance, not a racial classification. Of course the story will be spun in such a way that all those hateful, whitey, red-neck, crackers will be required to belly crawl and grovel, all to no avail. I'd expect the school to be suspended from further competition...

Okay, let me get this straight...the winners chanted USA USA USA but were stopped within about 5 seconds by the coach. The losers were already in the locker room and didn't hear anything. The winners appologized anyway, but the losers, who didn't hear anythinhg say the apology isn't enough. Is that right?

Yes, pretty much, but the losing team was chanting 'Alamo whites...Alamo whites...Alamo whites...' before going to the locker room.

Small detail left out of most stories.... not sure why
:eusa_think:

Actually, that's an alligation that cannot be confirmed in any of the links provided. And if that were true,
seems to me the people on the team would have been banned from the state championship, not the students in the stands.

And as I understand it, the losing team was already in the locker room when the chanting started...so now I'm even further confused.

I heard an interview with someone who was at the game and saw it all.... it wasnt only the losing team that was chanting 'Alamo whites'. It was some in the stands as well.
There is just mysteriously no video of it
:confused:

Lemme preface this by saying that I'm a mixed race mutt who wholeheartedly believes that we're -way- too sensitive about racism and perceived racism in this country in general.

Depending on the circumstances, however, it could be argued that many of the people chanting USA were doing so based on racist motivation. As many have already argued, a mostly white team beating a mostly Hispanic team inspiring USA chants when both teams are from the USA certainly presents a high probability of racial motivation, especially considering that it's happening in a place where the illegal immigration issue, as it relates to Hispanic people in particular, is such a divisive one. After all, how often are even the most patriotic of us just -randomly- inspired to take up that particular chant? If the only contributing factor was which team beat which, the racial issue seems the most likely (though not provable) cause.

However, I've also heard the reports echoed here that the other team's fans were chanting Alamo Whites. As is the case with all of you, I wasn't at the game, so I can't verify whether or not this allegation is true or false. If it is true, however, it changes the entire dynamic of the argument. If, in response to what could -only- be classified as a racist chant, fans of Alamo Heights reacted with the chant of USA, anti racism would become a likely motive. The USA is, after all, a multiracial, multicultural melting pot, and responding to racism with chants of USA could very well be emphasizing that.

To me, the larger issue is peoples' reaction to all of this. Nobody who wasn't there and hasn't seen footage of the entire game knows what went down, so all these people expressing anger and outrage are expressing anger and outrage based on shit they don't know and can't verify. It's my view that this kind of uneducated outrage is one of the major, major societal problems contributing to the country's (and the world's) problems. If people would stop getting pissed over non facts that they can't verify it would cut down on so much of the world's violence it wouldn't even be funny.

Besides, in the life of the average individual, there's plenty enough shit to get pissed about that we -do- know and -can- verify.

Are you going to pretend there was no evidence of race conflict during this game?

I didn't see the game, but one of the clips I saw at the end of the game, at least one member of the winning team seemed to bump hands with the losing team, a measure of respect, I think, not racism.

When I heard the lead in, I thought, "Oh for fuck's sake...seriously, what's wrong with chanting USA?" Dana Perino presented the bigger picture, and I have to agree with her on this issue.

See video in link.

'USA' chant deemed racist - Shownotes - FoxNews.com

I think from here on out, all highschools in America should start chanting "USA" when they win any kind of tournament. I refuse to give up my right to patriotism because some stupid people see it as an insult when I let them know I am proud of my MULTICULTURAL, MULTIRACE, country.

When I heard the lead in, I thought, "Oh for fuck's sake...seriously, what's wrong with chanting USA?" Dana Perino presented the bigger picture, and I have to agree with her on this issue.

See video in link.

I think from here on out, all highschools in America should start chanting "USA" when they win any kind of tournament. I refuse to give up my right to patriotism because some stupid people see it as an insult when I let them know I am proud of my MULTICULTURAL, MULTIRACE, country.

Damn Straight!! :clap2:

See video in link.

That would be fine. But seriously, do you think this was a spontaneous bout of patriotism after winning a basketball game?

And as far as I know, no one is saying a USA chant should be banned, just questioning whether it was used in this instance might have been racially based.

Can you link a story that includes that little nugget?

See video in link.

That would be fine. But seriously, do you think this was a spontaneous bout of patriotism after winning a basketball game?

And as far as I know, no one is saying a USA chant should be banned, just questioning whether it was used in this instance might have been racially based.

I think the other school was an American school and should have joined in the chanting...if they were offended, then they aren't Americans and shouldn't be going to public school on our tax dollars.

I also, don't belive for a second that there weren't hispanics going to the predominately white school, not if it was a public school. Why would they insult their own classmates? Were their hispanic classmates also chanting "USA" If so, it seems clear that this wasn't an insult to ANY American student.

Why do you think "USA" means "whites only?" We are multicultural and multiracial, chanting "USA" inclludes all races and ethnicities.

Yet...if the all hispanic team won and held up some Mexican flags the school would have done nothing.

How likely is that scenario?

Lets see we had protests all through out th south west by Hispanics waving Mexican flags just last year and this to include flying them on school property. But that of course is different right?

Don't forget the school that had 4 students wearing tshirts with the American flag on them May 5th, and the number of students who claimed they were insulted and the students were sent home.<2 of the 4 students were hispanic> The stupid Mexican students <yeah, when you compare cinco de mayo, a holiday created by an American beer company to our Indepedence day, you're stupid> marched in the streets and said they wouldn't wear their flags to school on our Independence day. Their Independence day, BTW is in Sept, they don't even know their own history.

Forum List

Back