Changing the Voting Age

I know this will never happen. But I am 20. And 75% of the people my age should not be allowed to vote. They have no clue about the candidates. They have no clue about the issues. They have no idea what they're voting for. They vote with their @$$. I don't like this.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt momentarily and pretend you aren't some rightwingnut's sockpuppet...... and just say... if you think that dumbass, uneducated, ignorant people become smarter as they get older, you're sadly mistaken.

so do you think there should be an IQ test to vote? doesn't sound very populist to me. and what makes you think your IQ would be high enough to get past that kind of scrutiny. not saying it's not, but making a point here. i'm figuring, since you raise the question, you mean anyone who agrees with you has a high enough IQ and anyone who doesn't shouldn't vote.

Me? i just wish wingnuts, who seem to have an inordinate amount of influence at the primary stage, would actually know their subject matter and stop making things up.

You're just scared this is going to pass and eliminate your right to vote, "counselor".

Passing a test to be able to vote? Why not redo the whole citizenship thing too?

Make everybody pass a test to gain citizenship rights. Lets say everyone (born to US citizens) below the age of 18 is termed a class 2 citizen which only gives certain rights. Upon their 18th birthday they must take a test, a citizenship test like all the foreigners who become citizens today must take. If they pass they gain full citizenship (Class 1 citizen) and all rights and benefits. If the fail they are classified as a class 3 citizen with adult rights but not the right to vote. They can retake the test as many times as necessary within a time frame. All foreigners who gain citizenship are classified as Class 4 citizens so they can be distinguished from natural born Americans.

This way you can separate the population or should I say segregate!!

The current system works and although most people do not take an interest in it, that is what we got. Only 50% of the people vote anyway and most of those people you talk about are the ones who do not vote!!

Tell that to the Fox news viewers.

Fox News or republican-Democrat has nothing to do with this discusion.

If one is an avid Fox news viewer one is more than likely not going to pass a voter intelligence test so yes it does have something to do with this discussion.

Yes the article pointed out how wrong the viewers were.

So democrats promptly changed the language on panels eliminated the 1099s and just announced they will not implement the plan that helps seniors.

What did they get wrong?

Oh yeah everyone said it was an accounting scam then dems admitted double counting.

Have some coffe and come back when you can make sense.

Sounds like a conservative wet dream. Destroy education and then require a test in order to vote.

Why? Because when people vote, Democrats win.

Yeah, tell us all about it. Dunce!
800px-2010_Senate_election_results_map.svg.png

I know this will never happen. But I am 20. And 75% of the people my age should not be allowed to vote. They have no clue about the candidates. They have no clue about the issues. They have no idea what they're voting for. They vote with their @$$. I don't like this.

Certainly you should not vote.

Well, gee I don't know? Maybe because the party in power will be deciding what they mean by intelligence?

I meant, what would be bad about having a very low turnout?

But to the point. You want a test? Make an Amendment to the Constitution. Until you do no such test is legal.

Where does the Constitution say that passing a test can be a requirement for voting?

The Supreme Court ruled no tests may be used to determine eligibility for voting. Also an Amendment was added to prevent a poll tax and though a tax is money the Courts have ruled it applies to tests as well. .
Sorry, there is no reference to "tests" other than religious or literacy tests.
Voting rights in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Voting Rights: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law.
Just in case you were going to play the "wiki card", look at the second link.

New Topics

Forum List

Back