Changing Demographics, Changing Classrooms

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Teachers in many parts of the country have been in a long, challenging process of adjusting to the changing demographics of their classrooms. This can be quite taxing on both teachers and students who may not be prepared for the changes that are taking place. Nonetheless, the reality is what it is and seems likely to change further in coming years. The trend toward ever more integration in classrooms adds to this challenge/opportunity.

The Condition of Education - Participation in Education - Elementary/Secondary - Racial/Ethnic Enrollment in Public Schools - Indicator May (2016)

Dept. of Ed. projects public schools will be ‘majority-minority’ this fall

https://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu...rankenberg-are-teachers-prepared-racially.pdf

The melting pot has become a mosaic. If left in this condition, it will destroy itself.

When I went a Catholic grade school in the '50's, I was taught that the expression, "Melting Pot" was disparaging, because it implied that the rich tapestry of cultures coming down from our immigrant parents was being lost. "Mosaic" was a more positive description, because it allowed for ethnic Italians, Poles, Germans, etc., to maintain their family traditions proudly, while becoming proud Americans at the same time.

Still, if my school-age kids (I no longer have any) were subject to sitting in classes all day long with ethnics who were not fully conversant in English, and Knee-Grows from high-crime areas, I would opt out and send them to a private school, regardless of how expensive that might be. While it would be possible to get a good education under such circumstances, the high level of distraction would make it difficult. Public School teachers have to teach at a level that doesn't leave the weakest students behind, so that the intelligent students are crushingly bored.

OTOH, my nephew in Chicago can't stop singing the praises of his neighborhood public grade school, and both of his children are in "gifted" programs (how utterly nauseating) that challenge them consistently.

Whooda thunkit?

They can claim that the Hispexicans are only 12% of the population...

... but ask any teacher...

... one third of their students are Hispanic.

When I went a Catholic grade school in the '50's, I was taught that the expression, "Melting Pot" was disparaging, because it implied that the rich tapestry of cultures coming down from our immigrant parents was being lost. "Mosaic" was a more positive description, because it allowed for ethnic Italians, Poles, Germans, etc., to maintain their family traditions proudly, while becoming proud Americans at the same time.

Still, if my school-age kids (I no longer have any) were subject to sitting in classes all day long with ethnics who were not fully conversant in English, and Knee-Grows from high-crime areas, I would opt out and send them to a private school, regardless of how expensive that might be. While it would be possible to get a good education under such circumstances, the high level of distraction would make it difficult. Public School teachers have to teach at a level that doesn't leave the weakest students behind, so that the intelligent students are crushingly bored.

OTOH, my nephew in Chicago can't stop singing the praises of his neighborhood public grade school, and both of his children are in "gifted" programs (how utterly nauseating) that challenge them consistently.

Whooda thunkit?

You think there aren't international students at private schools? Think again.

Whooda thunkit?

You think there aren't international students at private schools? Think again.

More and more every year, in fact.

Teachers in many parts of the country have been in a long, challenging process of adjusting to the changing demographics of their classrooms. This can be quite taxing on both teachers and students who may not be prepared for the changes that are taking place. Nonetheless, the reality is what it is and seems likely to change further in coming years. The trend toward ever more integration in classrooms adds to this challenge/opportunity.

The Condition of Education - Participation in Education - Elementary/Secondary - Racial/Ethnic Enrollment in Public Schools - Indicator May (2016)

https://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu...rankenberg-are-teachers-prepared-racially.pdf

Only since 1970s. I don't understand how this is an issue for anyone other than adults and only if you live in a very rural area. So, since the 1970s we have seen literature courses change to incorporate the demographics of the population, history has changed from the "white mainstream" classes of yesteryear. With the immigration, keep in mind it takes three generations for the "old world" of where ever people came from to lose it's grip. This isn't new stuff. We have only been watching it for well over one hundred years.

You know who needs a big dose of diversity? The elite squads in the states and those at the federal level. These jack asses can afford to pick and choose where they live and put up gates. The rest of us live where ever we can afford and is located somewhere close to where we work. We take the train together, we are neighbors, we work together, our children play together.

Teachers are trained in "diversity" but what you cannot do is take some kid who is in their early 20s and expect them to have a shit load of life experience.

Only since 1970s. I don't understand how this is an issue for anyone other than adults and only if you live in a very rural area. So, since the 1970s we have seen literature courses change to incorporate the demographics of the population, history has changed from the "white mainstream" classes of yesteryear. With the immigration, keep in mind it takes three generations for the "old world" of where ever people came from to lose it's grip. This isn't new stuff. We have only been watching it for well over one hundred years.

You know who needs a big dose of diversity? The elite squads in the states and those at the federal level. These jack asses can afford to pick and choose where they live and put up gates. The rest of us live where ever we can afford and is located somewhere close to where we work. We take the train together, we are neighbors, we work together, our children play together.

Teachers are trained in "diversity" but what you cannot do is take some kid who is in their early 20s and expect them to have a shit load of life experience.

That's not exactly the point I was making. The point was that teachers with little or no experience in teaching non-native English speakers are increasingly being called upon to do so. For many teachers without extensive experience with this kind of student population, it can be more challenging (and sometimes frustrating) than they might have expected.

Forum List

Back