Change On Port Deal?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Looks like the 'modest proposal' has picked up gravitas...I heard a bit ago that this indeed is what may play out:

http://biglizards.net/blog/archives/2006/02/emirate_of_duba.html#more

A Modest Proposal

Neither side has noticed that there is a fairly obvious compromise staring us in the face, which Big Lizards believes would resolve the very real security concerns without losing the equally real security benefits from this deal.

Both the actual national-security risk and also the political danger come, not from the ownership of the company, but rather from the day to day management -- the actual control of operations. The emirate wants the profits that accrue from ownership; rational Americans want to see control of the port, even the cargo areas, in friendly hands, preferably American.

This suggests a workable compromise: an American company should be chartered -- American owned and American managed -- that is a wholly owned but independently operated subsidiary of Dubai Ports... call it American Port Services, Inc., or somesuch name that makes clear the nationality; and then let all the actual management of the ports be handled by the American APS, not by Dubai Ports.

This will add a middle corporate layer, so Dubai Ports won't make quite as much of a profit as they would running the ports directly; but on the other hand, it's still better than no profit at all. And Americans can be assured that rather than shifting from British control to UAE control, we will in fact have shifted from British to American control of port operations.

This resolves both the security and the political problems:

* Americans will be running day to day operations, quieting the very real fears of terrorist infiltration;

* Republican senators, representatives, and governors can truthfully say that they negotiated a much better deal with the president, so their protest to the initial version was successful;

* President Bush can deliver on his promise to a friend and ally in the war on jihadi terrorism, thus gaining even more cooperation from the UAE on anti-terrorist measures -- and making America more secure;

* The White House and Republicans in Congress and the state houses can again unite on matters of national security, as before;

* The only losers will be the hysterical Democrats: unlike the Republicans, who insisted only upon more "scrutiny" of the deal, Democrats have simply been howling for the whole thing to be killed... and they'll be left out in the cold by a solid, secure "new deal" that incorporates all the benefits while avoiding the dangerous pitfalls.

Once again, the Democrats have overreacted, demanding death to the deal, when in fact we can address the real and sincere threats without having to pull the beard of a long-time ally in the war effort. As Dubai Ports has already agreed to "whatever security precautions the U.S. government demanded to salvage the deal," they should be willing to sign off on being a holding company, rather than the actual operator, which will be "American Port Services," or whatever they decide to call it.

All sides will be satisfied, and we can then proceed with the deal.

Let's form the American Shell corp. Then nationalize the port facility and lease the operations contract to The Shell corporation. Voila. No dubai government at all.

rtwngAvngr said:
Let's form the American Shell corp. Then nationalize the port facility and lease the operations contract to The Shell corporation. Voila. No dubai government at all.

How about The Anti Muslim All American Shell corporation? :rolleyes:

dilloduck said:

I wonder who around here is really the racist, xenophobe?

dilloduck said:

That's right, unless I'm down with Muslim GOVERNMENTS running our ports, I'm a RAAAAAAAAAAAYCIST.
:soul:

rtwngAvngr said:
That's right, unless I'm down with Muslim GOVERNMENTS running our ports, I'm a RAAAAAAAAAAAYCIST.
:soul:
I think it safe to hate Muslums now, dude. Even the libs say we should be afraid of em.

dilloduck said:
I think it safe to hate Muslums now, dude. Even the libs say we should be afraid of em.

I wonder. I bet none of the libs stick with it.

rtwngAvngr said:

Now that would require consistancy and integrity. While they trash the NSA, Patriot Act, The war in Iraq, racial profiling etc etc they think we shouldnt lease a port to an Arab country? You've bought a pig in a poke --run like hell before liberal cooties crawl in your ears and eat your gray matter!

rtwngAvngr said:

I agree, of course they won't. Just like I posted earlier...they'll turn on a dime to attain their objectives--- which in this case was to attack Bush from the right. Of course now Hillary is moderating her position. :puke: Before this port issue libs were all supportive of Muslims-- then all of a sudden any Muslims, even Muslim allies, are to be feared. :terror: My lying-lib-o-meter started acting crazy as soon as I learned that Chuckie Schumer was the one who first started the bruhaha.

Like most people my very first reaction was also one of abhorrance that we would allow any middle easterners to "control" our ports. However, looking at the actual facts, they are NOT controlling our ports and security is the same as ever...which was pretty bad to begin with anyhow. If this bruhaha leads to greater port security, I am all for it. There is a lot of room for improvement. Also, I agree that if this type of ownership plan is instituted, it should be done to ALL foreign companies dealing in areas of security concern. Closing the borders would also help. Time to lock this country down! Let the profiling begin! :terror: :firing:

I'm glad the Dimmies are finally on board. :laugh:

ScreamingEagle said:
I agree, of course they won't. Just like I posted earlier...they'll turn on a dime to attain their objectives--- which in this case was to attack Bush from the right. Of course now Hillary is moderating her position. :puke: Before this port issue libs were all supportive of Muslims-- then all of a sudden any Muslims, even Muslim allies, are to be feared. :terror: My lying-lib-o-meter started acting crazy as soon as I learned that Chuckie Schumer was the one who first started the bruhaha.

Like most people my very first reaction was also one of abhorrance that we would allow any middle easterners to "control" our ports. However, looking at the actual facts, they are NOT controlling our ports and security is the same as ever...which was pretty bad to begin with anyhow. If this bruhaha leads to greater port security, I am all for it. There is a lot of room for improvement. Also, I agree that if this type of ownership plan is instituted, it should be done to ALL foreign companies dealing in areas of security concern. Closing the borders would also help. Time to lock this country down! Let the profiling begin! :terror: :firing:

I'm glad the Dimmies are finally on board. :laugh:

Ain't it great to have Hillary and Schumer working hand in hand with us on this national security stuff?? Oh the progress we will make !!! :laugh:

ScreamingEagle said:

Funny ya mentioned Chuck Schumer...he also said they meaning those controlling this take over should consider giving the contract to "Halliburton"
go figure...this guy can't make up his mind...sorta like ol' Hillary!

archangel said:
ScreamingEagle said:

Funny ya mentioned Chuck Schumer...he also said they meaning those controlling this take over should consider giving the contract to "Halliburton"
go figure...this guy can't make up his mind...sorta like ol' Hillary!

What--you don't like old Chuck and Hillary leading the charge here on National Security ??

dilloduck said:
archangel said:
What--you don't like old Chuck and Hillary leading the charge here on National Security ??

I support the Frisk charge...I do not recognize either Hillary or Chuckie as experts in any field of endeavor!

Forum List

Back