Challenge: prove the Earth is round

Those old Greeks were something, all that learning, logic, circumferance of the earth, atomic theory, democracy and so on and then the Dark Ages came and learning almost ceases. Why? What is there about learning that frightens people? Where would the world be today if we had not shut down the beginning of science, thinking, ideas and enter the age of ignorance, mythology superstition? Worse, than that is that a number of people today would like to do exactly that shut down learning. Somewhere out there may be the cure for science, the end of wars, all living in harmony, no more starvation, why are we so afraid of progress?

Challenge (to you):

Prove the Earth is an approximate sphere without using any evidence gathered since and including the 20th century (so a picture of the Earth doesn't cut it)

Challenge (to me):

I will come up with an alternate explanation that does not involved a spherical earth for every piece of evidence presented.

If you were here with me in Florida i could do it easily. I'd take you to the coast and we'd look at ships with my telescope.

You would only be proving the Earth has curvature, not that it is an approximate sphere. The same effect would happen if the Earth were shaped like a pitcher's mound.

I could also explain to you why during an eclipse, the earth's shadow isround.

Because the Earth is a flat disc and, during an eclipse, its surface is perpendicular to the line of centers between the Sun and Moon?

Those old Greeks were something, all that learning, logic, circumferance of the earth, atomic theory, democracy and so on and then the Dark Ages came and learning almost ceases. Why? What is there about learning that frightens people? Where would the world be today if we had not shut down the beginning of science, thinking, ideas and enter the age of ignorance, mythology superstition? Worse, than that is that a number of people today would like to do exactly that shut down learning. Somewhere out there may be the cure for science, the end of wars, all living in harmony, no more starvation, why are we so afraid of progress?

Yet - Aristotle claimed heavier objects fell faster than lighter ones, never bothered to do an experiment to prove it.

I guess you liberals don't do science well. If he followed your advise, he would end up 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs.

What is the circumference of the earth?

Awww, give him a break! He was rounding up!
:lol::lol:

Not to mention that he wouldn't be 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs, he'd actually be right on the bread crumbs, having retraced his steps for that distance.

I love it when Cons think they know science, when they're actually trying to apply a political edge to every controversy. Like the AGW debate, they usually lose trying to apply a left-right paradigm to the situation, when true science has no such bias.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: konrad, science, same sentence....priceless!

Yet - Aristotle claimed heavier objects fell faster than lighter ones, never bothered to do an experiment to prove it.

Aristotle didn't have the means to test the theory. Man had to attain the ability to create a vacuum to truly test it properly. Mathematically it had been proven of course, but the actual physical test required the creation of a vacuum.

Awww, give him a break! He was rounding up!
:lol::lol:

Not to mention that he wouldn't be 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs, he'd actually be right on the bread crumbs, having retraced his steps for that distance.

I love it when Cons think they know science, when they're actually trying to apply a political edge to every controversy. Like the AGW debate, they usually lose trying to apply a left-right paradigm to the situation, when true science has no such bias.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: konrad, science, same sentence....priceless!

I think it is funny how the libs in this thread couldn't find any evidence the Earth is round, yet they want to say I don't understand science.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back