Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”
-- Chaffetz

No, what is needed is a rule / reg / law stating politicians can not legally live in their offices. They don't need more money.

Alternate idea: Buy / build a building - use it as Congressional 'Dorms'.

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances? - Hot Air

That must happen at the beginning of their term. By the end, they are multimillionaires. Not sure how that happens....

least they have shelter. We have hundreds of thousands of vets sleeping under cardboard. And they actually care about the country
Congress, GFY

least they have shelter. We have hundreds of thousands of vets sleeping under cardboard. And they actually care about the country
Congress, GFY
So a bunch of rent-by-the-hour card board refrigerator boxes in the parking lot out behind Congress could be a proposed solution? :p

$174,000 per year
The salary for most members of the U.S. House of Representatives is $174,000 per year, according to the Congressional Research Service.
work.chron.com/us-house-representatives-salary-8425.html

Maybe the spouse needs to go to work, so the Congress critter can afford a hotel room? I'm sure there are plenty of places catering to the legislative army. A small studio apartment in D.C.? Share it with another Congress critter? It's not like they're there working all that much.
Where do they shower? Get a healthy meal? If those things are covered, what's wrong with sleeping on a fold out couch in the office? If they were in a hotel, they'd still need to find a meal somewhere.

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”
-- Chaffetz

No, what is needed is a rule / reg / law stating politicians can not legally live in their offices. They don't need more money.

Every state is sending Senators and Congressmen to Washington. Why can't a state purchase housing in DC and use it for all their representatives? They know they will be used
No reason anyone should live in their office

Congress, GFY
hundreds of thousands?
Estimates sit around 600K legitimate homeless people in our country. Hundreds of thousands of vets being homeless is my guess. I say that number because a while back i read that like 85% or so of homeless people are vets.

$174,000 per year
The salary for most members of the U.S. House of Representatives is $174,000 per year, according to the Congressional Research Service.
work.chron.com/us-house-representatives-salary-8425.html

Maybe the spouse needs to go to work, so the Congress critter can afford a hotel room? I'm sure there are plenty of places catering to the legislative army. A small studio apartment in D.C.? Share it with another Congress critter? It's not like they're there working all that much.
Where do they shower? Get a healthy meal? If those things are covered, what's wrong with sleeping on a fold out couch in the office? If they were in a hotel, they'd still need to find a meal somewhere.
npr.org/2015/12/26/458207661/meet-the-lawmakers-who-sleep-shower-work-all-on-capitol-hill
They have everything there! There's the Congressional dining room too.

Every state is sending Senators and Congressmen to Washington. Why can't a state purchase housing in DC and use it for all their representatives? They know they will be used

upload_2017-6-28_12-2-1.png

IMO, the bulk of a Rep's salary should be paid by the state they represent....and if NC decides to pay their rep more than Va pays their Rep, so what?!

-- Chaffetz

They can't afford two apt in DC...one for them and another for the girlfriend.

Congress, GFY
hundreds of thousands?
Estimates sit around 600K legitimate homeless people in our country. Hundreds of thousands of vets being homeless is my guess. I say that number because a while back i read that like 85% or so of homeless people are vets.
Thank you for explaining that. Now, there is an expense that I could get behind. Apartment buildings for single vets. Ro be used until they get back on their feet.

-- Chaffetz

What would really be a bitch is if Congressmen didn't have their healthcare paid for and couldn't afford it on their own and someone told them tough shit. ;)

Congress, GFY
hundreds of thousands?
Thank you for explaining that. Now, there is an expense that I could get behind. Apartment buildings for single vets. Ro be used until they get back on their feet.
I would be on board!
You know what i find fascinating? If we withheld aid from countries that hate us, we could probably feed, clothe and give shelter to every one of them. Might could even feed a few kids.
Damn shame :/

Forum List

Back