CFL LIGHTBULBS v. Texas Representative

BrianH

Mar 10, 2008
Texas
I just thought this was funny...and not to mention SPOT ON!

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg[/ame]

He also left out the "rebound effect". Where consumers respond to a 10% lower electric bill by running their a/c 10% more, or by buying a 10% bigger house, or by living further from work and thus using more gas.

He also could have mentioned that the sponsor of the bill is beholden to phillips-magnavox, which sells the most CFL's, but I suppose that would have been impolite.

Or, he could have pointed out that CFL's are old and busted, while white LED's and/or OLED lighting is the new hotness. They are more efficient than fluorescents by about the same margin that fluorescents are more efficient than regular incandescents. Some of the OLED's in labs are 99% efficient. Yes, that's right--99%. You can touch them and they don't even feel slightly warm.

He also left out the "rebound effect". Where consumers respond to a 10% lower electric bill by running their a/c 10% more, or by buying a 10% bigger house, or by living further from work and thus using more gas.

He also could have mentioned that the sponsor of the bill is beholden to phillips-magnavox, which sells the most CFL's, but I suppose that would have been impolite.

Or, he could have pointed out that CFL's are old and busted, while white LED's and/or OLED lighting is the new hotness. They are more efficient than fluorescents by about the same margin that fluorescents are more efficient than regular incandescents. Some of the OLED's in labs are 99% efficient. Yes, that's right--99%. You can touch them and they don't even feel slightly warm.

Flourescent bulbs also put out PINGS of energy that has been proven to cause problems with students in the classroom. The pulse of the lights mess with their eyes and alter attention spans and abilities.

Also I'm pretty sure that halogen lights will still be available. These basically do everything that incandescents do, a little bit better. A bit better quality light (no fluorescent flickering), a tad better efficiency (some of them, anyhow), and they last 2x or 4x as long, iirc.

Great. So you can still have all the things you like about incandescents. You'll just have to pay $4/bulb instead of $.25/bulb. What a scam. Thanks, light bulb company lobbyists and congress.

Forum List

Back