Cereals Americans no longer love

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
breakfast-cereals-declining-popularity-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Six cereal brands have been hit particularly hard by American's changing breakfast tastes. These include Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies, Corn Pops, and Special K. Sales of some of these brands fell by double digits between 2007 to 2010, and those declines have continued in the most recent period measured by Symphony/IRI.

Last edited:
I love Grape Nuts and Oatmeal. I do think cereals in general have gotten too expensive and most aren't that nutritious.

I love Grape Nuts and Oatmeal. I do think cereals in general have gotten too expensive and most aren't that nutritious.

Exactly why we don't buy most name brands. They cost too much. We only buy cereal when it is on sale. And when I say on sale...that usually means $2.00 or less a box.

My kids tend to eat a lot of begals with cream cheese...or Toast with peanut butter/nutella for breakfast. Banana's seem to go pretty fast around here too though. They seem to like to eat on the run.

Sometimes they will stash poptarts in their backpacks for when they need a snack. But those are usually the store brand also (not name brand).

Exactly why we don't buy most name brands. They cost too much. We only buy cereal when it is on sale. And when I say on sale...that usually means $2.00 or less a box.

My kids tend to eat a lot of begals with cream cheese...or Toast with peanut butter/nutella for breakfast. Banana's seem to go pretty fast around here too though. They seem to like to eat on the run.

Sometimes they will stash poptarts in their backpacks for when they need a snack. But those are usually the store brand also (not name brand).

Another victim of Obamanomics.

I've gotten the generic version of cereals for years. I eat a bowl of cereal nearly every day, it's just better to get the cheaper version. In most cases they are just as good as the name brands.

I used to eat a lot more of the sugary cereals, now I tend to eat a basic corn flakes or rice krispies type cereal with some frozen blueberries in it, yum!

breakfast-cereals-declining-popularity-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Six cereal brands have been hit particularly hard by American's changing breakfast tastes. These include Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies, Corn Pops, and Special K. Sales of some of these brands fell by double digits between 2007 to 2010, and those declines have continued in the most recent period measured by Symphony/IRI.

My father ate Raisin Bran till the day he died. I rarely saw him eat any other cereal.

Don't even get me started on that. Everything we buy has gone up 50 to 100%....it's insane. Coffee...olives...green chili...veggies...milk...meat...etc. I spend anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 more a month now depending on what we are out of.

Decided to grow my own small garden...once I figured out how much the veggies alone were costing me every month. Hopefully that will at least help some and if so... I will keep doing it next year. However... have you priced seeds lately?? Remember when they were like 10 for $1.00 not too long ago? Not anymore...try $1.89 to $2.49 each. :evil:

Last edited:
I've gotten the generic version of cereals for years. I eat a bowl of cereal nearly every day, it's just better to get the cheaper version. In most cases they are just as good as the name brands.

I used to eat a lot more of the sugary cereals, now I tend to eat a basic corn flakes or rice krispies type cereal with some frozen blueberries in it, yum!

Yep...both of those...with cut up banana's and stawberries on top. Yummy! :)

Don't even get me started on that. Everything we buy has gone up 50 to 100%....it's insane. Coffee...olives...green chili...veggies...milk...meat...etc. I spend anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 more a month now depending on what we are out of.

Decided to grow my own small garden...once I figured out how much the veggies alone were costing me every month. Hopefully that will at least help some and if so... I will keep doing it next year. However... have you priced seeds lately?? Remember when they were like 10 for $1.00 not too long ago? Not anymore...try $1.89 to $2.49 each. :evil:

In this economy, whatever a person has to do, short of robbin' n' stealin'.

Yep...both of those...with cut up banana's and stawberries on top. Yummy! :)

I agree, those are great as well. However, I help take care of a 2-year old who loves bananas, so I leave those for her. :)

In this economy, whatever a person has to do, short of robbin' n' stealin'.

I know...they will just stick it to ya anyway they can it seems.

I'm also off of 'Count Chocula'.
Vampires are soooooo...............yesterday.

Do they even still make that? I remember that whole line from when I was a kid..

Frankenberry
Booberry
Fruit bruit (werewolf)

Ah...the good ol days.

Another one I liked was called Kaboom (kind of like fruit loops...but had smilie faces instead of rings).

Forum List

Back