CEO's Earned More than company tax bill

"Twenty-five of the best-paid chief executive officers in the U.S. earned more in salary and other compensation in 2010 than their companies’ federal income tax expenses"

"Twenty of the 25 companies on the institute’s list reported spending more on lobbying Congress than they did on federal taxes"

CEOs Earned More Than Companies Tax Bill

If this doesn't indicate we need to change the tax code, I don't know what does.

How does this indicate we need to change the tax code?

I don't understand how making more in profit and/or salary than your business pays in taxes is wrong.

Who decides what a CEO is worth??

Board of Directors... who BTW... represent the owners... aka... SHAREHOLDERS.

Who picks the board of directors?

There's no hard and fast rule for it. But sometimes shareholders "have a say". But I've seldom seen any "candidates" "rejected" by shareholders.

Funny thing..that.

And you gotta wonder why executives get enormous compensation regardless of performance.

CEOs making more than large corporations pay in taxes isn't the problem, it's the symptom of the problem.

Expecting the trolls that huant this place to acknowledge the point you're making is futile.

Their "I'm so stupid butter doesn't melt in my mouth" games amuse them ONLY as long as they can convince you that they truly don't get your point.

What we have here are two different agendas butting heads.

You agenda is to discuss real issues, theirs is to derail discussion about real issues.

Why waste your time responding to people who are either so dishonest (most likely) or so stupid (doubtful usually as your point is self evident) that they don't know what you're talking about?

CEOs making more than large corporations pay in taxes isn't the problem, it's the symptom of the problem.

Expecting the trolls that huant this place to acknowledge the point you're making is futile.

Their "I'm so stupid butter doesn't melt in my mouth" games amuse them ONLY as long as they can convince you that they truly don't get your point.

You agenda is to discuss real issues, theirs is to derail discussion about real issues.

Why waste your time responding to people who are either so dishonest (most likely) or so stupid (doubtful usually as your point is self evident) that they don't know what you're talking about?

Spot on. It's evident in the amount of people who think my post was to attack the CEOs salary. Or when Oddball feels that he'd rather use insults when shown he was mistaken rather than discuss the actual point of the OP. Sad really.

Spot on. It's evident in the amount of people who think my post was to attack the CEOs salary. Or when Oddball feels that he'd rather use insults when shown he was mistaken rather than discuss the actual point of the OP. Sad really.

Well I tried and you didn't answer me :( Why is it bad?

"Twenty-five of the best-paid chief executive officers in the U.S. earned more in salary and other compensation in 2010 than their companies’ federal income tax expenses"

"Twenty of the 25 companies on the institute’s list reported spending more on lobbying Congress than they did on federal taxes"

If this doesn't indicate we need to change the tax code, I don't know what does.

I don't understand how making more in profit and/or salary than your business pays in taxes is wrong.

I don't understand how making more in ... salary than your business pays in taxes is wrong.

Because salary only gets taxed once and that's downright poor-hating horseshit. If it flows to net income it gets taxed there AND the shareholders get taxed on the resulting dividends and/or capital gains. So it's wrong because it violates the peoples right to double-taxation of business profit.

I'm sorry I missed your post before. Thank you for at least trying to discuss the topic.

The point being, step back and think about how much money a company has to make in order to pay one person, $10, $15, even $20 million dollars. One person. That's on top of paying every other person in the company, all expenses, etc and then still being able to turn a huge profit. Then you compare that to the amount that they have to pay in taxes which is miniscule when you compare it to everything above. The CEO salary alone being higher then the tax bill is just an illustration of how little these mega corporations are paying in taxes in relation to the money they are making. And that is because of the generous tax loopholes they are making use of.

I'm sorry I missed your post before. Thank you for at least trying to discuss the topic.

The point being, step back and think about how much money a company has to make in order to pay one person, $10, $15, even $20 million dollars. One person. That's on top of paying every other person in the company, all expenses, etc and then still being able to turn a huge profit. Then you compare that to the amount that they have to pay in taxes which is miniscule when you compare it to everything above. The CEO salary alone being higher then the tax bill is just an illustration of how little these mega corporations are paying in taxes in relation to the money they are making. And that is because of the generous tax loopholes they are making use of.

I understand all that I just don't see how its "bad" for a company to make money or for someone to take a GIANT salary if a company will offer it.

I dont think they should be able to find all these loopholes, dont get me wrong, but I just don't see how its bad/wrong for companies or individuals to make a lot of money.

I understand all that I just don't see how its "bad" for a company to make money or for someone to take a GIANT salary if a company will offer it.

I dont think they should be able to find all these loopholes, dont get me wrong, but I just don't see how its bad/wrong for companies or individuals to make a lot of money.

It's not bad for a CEO to make that salary or for a company to make lots of money. That's not the issue here. The issue here is they are paying very little(or even nothing!) in taxes on the money they are making. I'm all for people and business making money, lots of it. But they need to be paying taxes that lines up with the amount of money they are making. They are not, because of the loopholes that they have lobbied for and taken advantage of. That's the only point that is being made here.

It's not bad for a CEO to make that salary or for a company to make lots of money. That's not the issue here. The issue here is they are paying very little(or even nothing!) in taxes on the money they are making. I'm all for people and business making money, lots of it. But they need to be paying taxes that lines up with the amount of money they are making. They are not, because of the loopholes that they have lobbied for and taken advantage of. That's the only point that is being made here.

Ahhh well I agree with you then :).

Ditto.

I have no problem with a company paying its CEO anything its wants to.

I do have a problem with all the tax loopholes, tax breaks and subsidies.

Forum List

Back