"Centrist" Dems trying to push their weight

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DamnYankee, Jun 13, 2009.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Centrist Dems Try to Limit Public Health Care Option
    Centrist Democrats raise big concerns - Patrick O'Connor and Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

Okay, so how many "centrist" aka moderate Dems are there in the House? That would oppose this particular "reform" bill? Hmmm.... <thinking>

So.... Are where's the weight to push anything? Aren't they the ones being pushed?

2. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    The mere fact that government sponsored/controlled health care is even an option proves that big government is pushing an agenda.

3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I would not have a problem with it if they were doing it right, but as a health administrator, I can clearly see that they aren't, and all they're interested in is being able to say "this was accomplished".

4. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Well I'm stubborn, I don't want the government involved in my health care one iota.

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,065
    So you would abolish the FDA and any regulations regarding the standards of cleanliness in hospitals and the accreditation of doctors?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Right now, bureaucrats in the private health industry are making medical decisions for you. It's their job to make a profit, thus denying care.

Good man. Since being new I CAN NOT POST THE LINK

However it rings very true. I dont want them anywhere near me period.

Obama, flanked by the AHA,AMA,A-Hip,Pharma,AdvaMed, and SEIU, stated those groups over the next 10 years are pledging "to cut the rate of growth of national health care spending by 1.5 percentage points each year &#8212; an amount that&#8217;s equal to over $2 trillion."

Well, of course, that press conference sort of identifies what the real problem is, a cartelized industry that apparently has the power to set supply and demand. To me, this is so elementary that it's trivial. No one with a straight face can argue that monopolies efficiently deliver goods and services. The counter-argument to this is that health care is supposedly different, that it's a "public good" or that it's a "right." These arguments are bogus. Health Care is neither non-rivaled nor non-excludable. Health Care as a "right" is just a slogan. The devil is in the details. Do you, for example, have the right to a hip replacement, cosmetic surgery, or invasive brain surgery? Do you have an absolute right to any medical care that increases or probabilistically increases your overall utility? Of course not. Some bureaucrat will make a utility calculation of hip replacement surgery for a 79 old woman against the overall utility of the general population with scarce resources and deny the surgery. Health Care denied. So obviously, there is no such thing as a "right" to health care itself. All you would really have is just a right to a "utility calculation" for health care. You may or may not receive the actual health care service. Somehow, the right to "Health Care as a Utility Calculation" doesn't quite resonate so strongly as a slogan. But that's the reality. Thus, since health care as a "right" really reduces to a utilitarian calculation," we're back to the easy question of considering the economic efficiencies of monopolies/cartels vs. a free market model.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    OK, one iota may have been a bit far.

8. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Well, at some point, I'll 'splain it again, 'cause they're already involved -- maybe not in YOURS -- and it makes a whole lot more sense, since they're determined to BE involved to do the RIGHT WAY.

9. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Never could figure out the rationale, but maybe if you yell out what you want included, someone will do it for you.

10. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Or does it make more sense to try and keep them less involved?
    I don't want some government bureaucrat getting involved in my personal health care decisions.
    Look at it this way, if I was determined to rape you, would you want to be raped in the RIGHT WAY?