Census finds record gap between Rich and Poor

don't let facks get in your way of a good libtard rant.
The average college grad makes 2.5MM more in a career, pay if you feel obligated Junior will be OK.

I'm not questioning whether it is worth it (sometimes it isn't)

I am questioning the affordability of a college education that a kid used to be able to pay for making minimum wage and now must assume $100,000 + in debt

"MUST assume $100,00 + in debt?" How do you figure?

The University of Texas costs less than $5000 in tuition for a semester. An even cheaper route would be to do the first 2 years at Austin Community College for $870 a semester.

How does someone working through college need to rack up that much debt?

I've been to 6th Street in Austin. I can't even figure out how those University of Texas kids pay for their nightlife.....let alone tuition, room and board

Census finds record gap between rich and poor Americans -

The income gap between rich and poor Americans grew to the widest amount on record and represents the greatest disparity among Western industrialized nations, according to U.S. Census data.

The census finds that the top-earning 20% of Americans (those making $100,000 each year) received 49.4% of all income generated in the U.S., compared with the 3.4% earned by those below the poverty line.

That ratio of 14.5-to-1 was an increase from 13.6 in 2008 and nearly double a low of 7.69 in 1968, the Associated Press reports.

At the top, the wealthiest 5% of Americans, who earn more than $180,000, added slightly to their annual incomes last year, the data show. Families at the $50,000 median level slipped lower.

The question is, why is the income gap a bad thing? Supporters of capitalism should admire this gap as the success of the few at the expense of the many, who they define as Losers, lazy, Darwin bone piles.

What I know is that if I were just starting out, I wouldn't want to do it without at least a Bachelors in something marketable.

I am questioning the affordability of a college education that a kid used to be able to pay for making minimum wage and now must assume $100,000 + in debt

The University of Texas costs less than $5000 in tuition for a semester. An even cheaper route would be to do the first 2 years at Austin Community College for $870 a semester.

I admire the University of Texas. But even in your example of a state funded university. $5000 a semester equals $40,000 tuition for four years. Add room and board, books, fees and other expenses and you are looking at $75,000 to $80,000 for what you consider an inexpensive education.

Hard for a college kid to pay for when you make $7 an hour minimum wage

You used to be able to pay for college making minimum wage

Used to be able to buy gas for $0.65 a gallon... used to be able to play pinball for $0.10... used to be able to pay $200 a month rent for a 2BR place....

If someone CHOOSES college, they assume the risks of the choice including failure, cost, time, etc... you're over 18 an want to attend, that is your prerogative.... but it ain't owed to you and it's not the government's nor any other groups job to make it easy for you because of your want..

Let alone the choices of maybe living at home longer... working a higher paying job you don't like to earn more to pay for it... working your butt off for a scholarship... taking an entry level job at a company that offers some tuition reimbursement as an employment benefit... going part time for a while... there are lots of CHOICES

The level of whining by ones such as yourself, wrongwinger, is astounding... if young adults would put as much effort into doing what they have to do to get what they want, as you do into your government "gimme gimme gimme" rants, they would be a lot better off

I admire the University of Texas. But even in your example of a state funded university. $5000 a semester equals $40,000 tuition for four years. Add room and board, books, fees and other expenses and you are looking at $75,000 to $80,000 for what you consider an inexpensive education.

$80K for 4 years = $20K per year. $7 an hour take home is $10K per year, so in your example that's $40K debt, not $100K as you said.

It's still possible, just not in 4 years. Although come to think of it I don't know anyone who worked their way through college in 4 years all on minimum wage.

I've been to 6th Street in Austin. I can't even figure out how those University of Texas kids pay for their nightlife.....let alone tuition, room and board

Maybe it's that $100,000 debt you were saying is mandatory.

students who are spending their own money drink at Posse East and Dirty's.:eusa_angel:

<Is Dirty's even still open? If so, the five-second rule most certainly should NOT apply there>

Having a lot of crap in your possession is no measure of success.

Most people buy that shit on credit and live paycheck to paycheck and are in constant fear of losing their jobs.

That's no measure of success and no way to live.

I agree that acquiring luxury items one cannot afford is no way to live.

Yet people do it all the same.

And that is still not my problem... or at least it shouldn't be.

It is your problem, or have you not noticed how banks passed out credit cards for decades, and because banks loaned far beyond their means, many of them failed (and your money was needed to protect those who had deposits in such banks).

since the fdic is a federal agency what do you mean they would need our money to protect them?

Used to be able to buy gas for $0.65 a gallon... used to be able to play pinball for $0.10... used to be able to pay $200 a month rent for a 2BR place....

If someone CHOOSES college, they assume the risks of the choice including failure, cost, time, etc... you're over 18 an want to attend, that is your prerogative.... but it ain't owed to you and it's not the government's nor any other groups job to make it easy for you because of your want..

Let alone the choices of maybe living at home longer... working a higher paying job you don't like to earn more to pay for it... working your butt off for a scholarship... taking an entry level job at a company that offers some tuition reimbursement as an employment benefit... going part time for a while... there are lots of CHOICES

The level of whining by ones such as yourself, wrongwinger, is astounding... if young adults would put as much effort into doing what they have to do to get what they want, as you do into your government "gimme gimme gimme" rants, they would be a lot better off

Getting back on topic..

The issue is that the standard of living for working Americans is not what it was a generation ago.

- Used to be able to buy a house and support your family without your wife working...now you can't
- Used to be able to pay for college making minimum wage...now you can't
- Used to have your medical insurance paid by your employer or union....now you pay a large portion and significant copays

All this impacts everyones life, and yet.......we still talk about cutting taxes on the super rich

[...]

*yawn* more envy driven sour grapes.

[...]
The nonsensical concept of envy on the part of economically ravaged victims of neo-Conservative marauding is analogous to the notion that a rape victim might envy the rapist for the pleasure he derives. It clearly reflects the degenerate, greed-oriented mentality of the right-wing extremist.

The problem with America's economy is rooted in greed. Not envy.

:lol::lol:hyperbole much......? stop it dude, you're killing me here.

shit I bartended at about $25hr in college, if all you can get is minimum wage should you even be in college?

Getting back on topic..

The issue is that the standard of living for working Americans is not what it was a generation ago.

- Used to be able to buy a house and support your family without your wife working...now you can't
- Used to have your medical insurance paid by your employer or union....now you pay a large portion and significant copays

All this impacts everyones life, and yet.......we still talk about cutting taxes on the super rich

what is a standard of living RW? what ever you decide it is at the moment?

so tell me..?

Getting back on topic..

All this impacts everyones life, and yet.......we still talk about cutting taxes on the super rich[/QUOTE]

more whining
I support my wife just fine on my measley $128,000 salary. Horseshit on ever being able to pay for college with minimum wage. And if all you can get is min wage should you even be in college.
I don't pay much for family coverage, and I think I get way more than I did 20 yrs ago.

The standard of living for the middle class is disappearing and we continue to reward the wealthy for it

Yeah right.
More people own cars, homes, TVs, computers, etc.
Most people have cell phones, I-Pads, pods etc.
TVs in evey room. Internet, cable, entertainment systems.
And that is just a small sample.

We are far better off then just 30 years ago.

Consumer goods are more achievable. But when you compare the ability of the average worker to qualify for a home based on one salary, afford healthcare, pay for college for their kids, pay for heat and electric...the standard of living has declined from what it was a generation ago.

My father had a HS education and worked for 40 years climbing poles for the phone company. On just one salary, he bought a 2000 sq ft home on an acre of land, sent four kids to college without going into debt, had a union paid healthcare plan with no deductables.

Todays family has to rely on two incomes to buy a basic home and goes deep into debt to send their kids to college. The standard of living has noticeably declined

The big reason that has changed is because business is figuing out it simply can't afford these ridiculous pensions. Business can't afford to fund the retirements of the entire baby boomer generation. Nor should they. So there has been a shift from defined benefit retirement plans to defined contribution plans. The later of which you are expected to contribute to. Either way business is usually still kicking in something for you. The later they aren't responsible for you after you leave the company however.

Last edited:

Getting back on topic..

And that is a personal problem.... still.. it is not a problem where you need mommy government to kiss the boo boo and make it better because you have to work harder or because your feelings are hurt

Sorry, wrongwinger, life ain't fair and life ain't easy

Don't cut taxes on the 'rich'... instead, raise everyone else's to that level... but by golly, you'll then see screaming for tax cuts

Getting back on topic..

more whining
I support my wife just fine on my measley $128,000 salary. Horseshit on ever being able to pay for college with minimum wage. And if all you can get is min wage should you even be in college.
I don't pay much for family coverage, and I think I get way more than I did 20 yrs ago

I support my wife just fine on my measley $128,000 salary.
75% of Americans would kill to make $128K, as per OP the gap between rich and poor is widening

Horseshit on ever being able to pay for college with minimum wage.
In 1974, my annual tuition at State University of New York was $650. At $2 an hour, that is about 325 hours work. Try to do that on minimum wage today

And if all you can get is min wage should you even be in college.
With close to 10% unemployment it is hard for most college kids to even get a min wage job, let alone make $25 an hour tending bar

Last edited:
Getting back on topic..

more whining
I don't pay much for family coverage, and I think I get way more than I did 20 yrs ago

I support my wife just fine on my measley $128,000 salary.
75% of Americans would kill to make $128K, as per OP the gap between rich and poor is widening

In 1974, my annual tuition at State University of New York was $650. At $2 an hour, that is about 325 hours work. Try to do that on minimum wage today

And if all you can get is min wage should you even be in college.
With close to 10% unemployment it is hard for most college kids to even get a min wage job, let alone make $25 an hour tending bar

And again... all of those are PERSONAL gripes about a PERSONAL situation about PERSONAL wants and needs....

this shit is hillarious
Hey, I'm a turbo-lib I'm for the gov paying for 4 yrs if you can get in, but we'd have to gut the babykiller military budget to do that. We all know the baby killers get funded first.

Our standard of living is way better than 30 yrs ago, we have more, we live longer etc.

My stepdad paid for his undergrad in NY and MASTERS in Georgia with a part time job and graduated with no debt... in the 70's - just when the war against labor began. His electrical engingeering degree would cost well over $100K today.

this shit is hillarious
Hey, I'm a turbo-lib I'm for the gov paying for 4 yrs if you can get in, but we'd have to gut the babykiller military budget to do that. We all know the baby killers get funded first.

Our standard of living is way better than 30 yrs ago, we have more, we live longer etc.

Quit your asinine labeling of my military brothers and sisters as "baby killers", you ignorant twit

Forum List

Back