Census Data - a "hilarious" read

R

rdean

The 2011 Statistical Abstract: State Rankings

Anyone who hasn't visited the "US Census Bureau" should. It's filled with fascinating data and statistics all ranked by state.

Get it? Ranked by state. This is actual data people went out and collected.

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY
PERSONS BELOW POVERTY LEVEL
PERSONS 25 YEARS OLD AND OVER WITH A BACHELOR'S DEGREE OR MORE(oops)
VIOLENT CRIMES 1 PER 100,000 POPULATION
MOBILE HOMES, PERCENT OF TOTAL HOUSING UNITS(hilarious)
TRAFFIC FATALITIES PER 100 MILLION VEHICLE MILES
GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT BY STATE IN CURRENT DOLLARS

Some of the result are pretty shocking, others are expected. The next time Conservatives go on about how "responsible they are and how many degrees they think they have", just go to this site to find out the truth. Believe me, it's not only interesting, but between what they say and what the data shows, the "entertainment" value alone is worth the time it takes to look up the truth.

Judging by the data from, "MOBILE HOMES, PERCENT OF TOTAL HOUSING UNITS", people living in Red States are the most "mobile" in the world".

I seem to recall the right touting the mobile work force for the new millenia, I guess that is what they were referring to, or migrant workers of some type.

Different strokes fro different folks. Personally, when I want to read something that makes me laugh, I go for Terry Pratchett, P G Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, or if I am feeling in a really sardonic and snarky mood, Ring Lardner.

The idea of reading income statistics for a giggle strikes me as being kind of weird. All kinds of types make up a world.

One of these types is the spectacularly ignorant who thinks he is smarter than anyone else. That kind of dolt is comedy gold.

What is the funny part anyway? District of Columbia's infant mortality rate of 11% A place with a 48% rate in folks with BS degrees. The unemployment rate is given for 2008. In these days of 9% unemployment with length of time jobless stretching out to levels not seen since the 30s, 5 and 6% unemployment rates are a quaint memory.

Anyone who hasn't visited the "US Census Bureau" should. It's filled with fascinating data and statistics all ranked by state.

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

Some of the result are pretty shocking, others are expected. The next time Conservatives go on about how "responsible they are and how many degrees they think they have", just go to this site to find out the truth. Believe me, it's not only interesting, but between what they say and what the data shows, the "entertainment" value alone is worth the time it takes to look up the truth.

Judging by the data from, "MOBILE HOMES, PERCENT OF TOTAL HOUSING UNITS", people living in Red States are the most "mobile" in the world".

Eeee-up! (Pausing to take a drag on my Marlboro and a break from my nebuliser)...

We uns just never did have a hankerin' to put down no roots and we sho nuff just am glad and proud that we get ta be near the likes a som-un like y'all. Yo sho nuff got the sma'ts! Sho nuff do. Weeeeee dowggies!

I got a cousin name a Jethro 'n' he got the third grade. Sma't as a whip he is. He's what they call a six percenter. Got him a scientific schoolin' degree 'n' all.

He's jus' like y'all. Real sma't!

It sho is nice a y'all to put up with us. We uns know our betters when we see um, 'n' yall sho nuff is that.

(The above is the response that RDean expects to hear. Isn't it wonderful that he is so open minded, free of classism and willing to find the worth of the individual free of preconcieved bias?)

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

Eeee-up! (Pausing to take a drag on my Marlboro and a break from my nebuliser)...

We uns just never did have a hankerin' to put down no roots and we sho nuff just am glad and proud that we get ta be near the likes a som-un like y'all. Yo sho nuff got the sma'ts! Sho nuff do. Weeeeee dowggies!

I got a cousin name a Jethro 'n' he got the third grade. Sma't as a whip he is. He's what they call a six percenter. Got him a scientific schoolin' degree 'n' all.

He's jus' like y'all. Real sma't!

It sho is nice a y'all to put up with us. We uns know our betters when we see um, 'n' yall sho nuff is that.

(The above is the response that RDean expects to hear. Isn't it wonderful that he is so open minded, free of classism and willing to find the worth of the individual free of preconcieved bias?)
Actually, it's the response dean DOES hear. :lol:

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

You sure do seem to take a lot of pleasure in what you feel is human misery.

MOBILE HOME:
double-wide-mobile-home-example4.jpg

Looks better then all those housing projects Democrats love to put minorities in.

Statistics can tell a story for those who can read them.

But generally the FAITH BASED among us don't come to them honestly.

They'll read into the stats what they expect to read.

They'll be careful to avoid those stats that do not support their POV.

And that is the best case, because as I hope we all know...many statistics we read are largely BULLSHIT.

Remember, when everybody told us that 50,000 children were being abducted every year?

Rember how we read that in " mainstream" press?

Now think about it.

60,000 died in Vietnam over 12 years and anybody my age KNEW at least one person who idied there.

But damned FEW of us know anybody whose child was ABDUCTED by child molestors.

And they were telling us that 50,000 kids a year were being abducted by STRANGERS?!?!

There's lies, damned lies and statistics, folks.

Know your source and even then...be skeptical.

Last edited:

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

Yea, that's the left's idea of caring for their fellow man.

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

"If you vote the way I tell you to, then I'll pay lip service to caring about you. If not -- fuck you."

Government compassion at work

320px-Pruitt-igoeUSGS02.jpg

220px-Pruitt-Igoe-vandalized-windows.jpg

And mobile home life
homes_for_sale_in_southwind_mobile_home_park_palm_harbor_florida_59_900_93383243471130953.jpg

Dean doesn't give a rip about the folks who lived in the top pictures, and laughs at the ones in the bottom.

the rest of us laugh at Dean

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

When are you going to learn how to read? From your link.

Cautionary note about rankings

The ranks in some tables are based on estimates derived from a sample(s). Because of sampling and nonsampling errors associated with the estimates, the ranking of the estimates does not necessarily reflect the correct ranking of the unknown true values. Thus, caution should be used when making inferences or statements about the states' true values based on a ranking of the estimates. As an example, the estimated total (average, percent, ratio, etc.) for State A may be larger than the estimates for all other states. This does not necessarily mean that the true total (average, percent, ratio, etc.) for State A is larger than those for all other states. Such an inference typically depends on --among other factors-- the size of the difference(s) between the estimates in question, and the size of their associated standard errors.
In other tables, the ranks are based on a complete enumeration of the target population, or on complete administrative reporting from the population. In such cases, sampling is not used, and there is no sampling error component in the estimates. Still, care should still be taken when making inferences or statements based on the rankings. The table values may still exhibit nonsampling error originating from such sources as coverage problems (missing units or duplicates), nonresponse, misreporting, and others.
To translate that for the simple minded, you should not make judgements based on the results depicted because you do not have all the facts.

Regardless, what have you got against manufactured housing? Is you nose out of joint again? When are you going to stop being a snob who thinks that living in a manufactured home is funny?

Last edited:

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

When are you going to learn how to read? From your link.

Cautionary note about rankings

The ranks in some tables are based on estimates derived from a sample(s). Because of sampling and nonsampling errors associated with the estimates, the ranking of the estimates does not necessarily reflect the correct ranking of the unknown true values. Thus, caution should be used when making inferences or statements about the states' true values based on a ranking of the estimates. As an example, the estimated total (average, percent, ratio, etc.) for State A may be larger than the estimates for all other states. This does not necessarily mean that the true total (average, percent, ratio, etc.) for State A is larger than those for all other states. Such an inference typically depends on --among other factors-- the size of the difference(s) between the estimates in question, and the size of their associated standard errors.
In other tables, the ranks are based on a complete enumeration of the target population, or on complete administrative reporting from the population. In such cases, sampling is not used, and there is no sampling error component in the estimates. Still, care should still be taken when making inferences or statements based on the rankings. The table values may still exhibit nonsampling error originating from such sources as coverage problems (missing units or duplicates), nonresponse, misreporting, and others.
To translate that for the simple minded, you should not make judgements based on the results depicted because you do not have all the facts.

Regardless, what have you got against manufactured housing? Is you nose out of joint again? When are you going to stop being a snob who thinks that living in a manufactured home is funny?

So statistics are a waste of time? There is no reason for a census?

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAY

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!1

The right cares about their "fellow man". Yea, tell that to Paul Ryan. Or better yet, Eric (no money for victims of natural disaster) Cantor.

george-bush-laughing.jpg

I've lived in a trailer. I have nothing against trailers. But millionaires don't live in trailers. Republicans support millionaires, they don't support poor Republicans. In fact, millionaires want to throw poor Republicans "under the trailer". Especially if those poor Republicans are "old".

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back