Census 2010, Interesting questions.

Personally the census never really bothered me too much to be honest, but it does seem that the White House supervising it, strikes me a little as turing something that should be non-political into something political.

It's always been political. That's why sampling isn't used even though it's far more accurate.

In doing so, it appears to make some a little skeptical as to the real purpose of the data then. If it is to be used to determine the number of Congressmen for each state then fine, but as a means to draw the lines in one partys favor or the other, then no. That is the reason why the census need only known the number really, the other data is not really needed other than for political purposes.

Why would they need the other data for political purposes? The most politically relevant data (election results) are something they already have access to. Besides, it's the states, not the federal government, that set up the districts.

I had thought about putting down drug dealing or money laundering for terrorists as my primary source of income just to test how confidential those records are.

That's not on the form.

All they ask is:

1. Number of people in house
2. Own or rent
3. Name
4. Phone number
5. Race

That's it. I understand the desire for privacy, but what objection to those questions could you possibly have?

Unless the federal government has changed its Census forms, the one posted is only the short form, and the long form that some people have to answer contains many more personal questions.

Yepper, and unlike some of you younger ones I have been thru this several times.
I always seemed to get lucky and get the long one.
And the person asking the questions is often a big gossip in a rural community.
Less intrusion in the denser areas as you may never see or hear of the census taker again.

In rural KY , preachers wives seemed attracted to the job. I wonder why?

Personally the census never really bothered me too much to be honest, but it does seem that the White House supervising it, strikes me a little as turing something that should be non-political into something political.

It's always been political. That's why sampling isn't used even though it's far more accurate.

In doing so, it appears to make some a little skeptical as to the real purpose of the data then. If it is to be used to determine the number of Congressmen for each state then fine, but as a means to draw the lines in one partys favor or the other, then no. That is the reason why the census need only known the number really, the other data is not really needed other than for political purposes.

Why would they need the other data for political purposes? The most politically relevant data (election results) are something they already have access to. Besides, it's the states, not the federal government, that set up the districts.

Where to concentrate campaign spending and perhaps how to distribute the money to greatest effect.
The politics that we see is just marketing and salesmanship.

I had thought about putting down drug dealing or money laundering for terrorists as my primary source of income just to test how confidential those records are.

That's not on the form.

All they ask is:

2. Own or rent
3. Name
4. Phone number
5. Race

That's it. I understand the desire for privacy, but what objection to those questions could you possibly have?

They don't need my name and they don't need my phone number.

That's not on the form.

All they ask is:

2. Own or rent
3. Name
4. Phone number
5. Race

ahh but they need to know how many loos you have :)

That's not on the form.

All they ask is:

2. Own or rent
3. Name
4. Phone number
5. Race

ahh but they need to know how many loos you have :)

I'll tell them that. Does it count if i pee outside?

That's not on the form.

All they ask is:

2. Own or rent
3. Name
4. Phone number
5. Race

Unless the federal government has changed its Census forms, the one posted is only the short form, and the long form that some people have to answer contains many more personal questions.

The long form no longer exists.
Tension is higher this decade because big changes are coming in the 2010 Census. For the first time since 1930, there will be no "long form." The lengthier survey previously has gone to one in every six households and asked about everything from property taxes and indoor plumbing to education, ancestry and commuting patterns.

Some displeased by fewer questions on 2010 Census form - USATODAY.com

I answered the census questions in 2000.

Guess what? I'm still around...the government hasn't kidnapped me or harassed me in any manner whatsoever. :eek:

The Census seems to represent government intrusion into our personal lives. As such it may make a good target to NOT participate as a form of protest.

I answered the census questions in 2000.

Guess what? I'm still around...the government hasn't kidnapped me or harassed me in any manner whatsoever. :eek:

I actually never sent my 2000 census forms in and they never came after me.

Forum List

Back