Cell phone rehash

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
So now that I have more time on my hands I started looking at bills my wife pays. Finding out that she really just pays what they tell her. For example, our direct TV bill went up 35 dollars last month. I looked into it and it was an automatic upgrade the NFL. I got that taken back off but I am pretty damn sure the same thing happened last spring at which time I was told that the automatic upgrade was removed.

So then I look at my cell phone bill. Turns out that in some past time they arbitrarily changed my data package from 2 GB to 3 GBs without telling me and charging me more. I call and tell them that we barely use 1 and how did it get changed. They said that we used .7 GB typically and they would change our service to 1 GB and throw in 1 GB for a year free. So my bill was reduced.

So here is an idea for a web site for those who are smart. Make a web site that compares plans or allows companies to bid on your business. In other words what I want is two (not smart) phones and an ipad. I should be able to plug that into a site with expected minutes and find the cheapest plan. Not so that I have found.

What I have found is that those companies who sell cheap minutes charge out the ass for data and everyone uses data smart phone or not.

The more I think about it I think the companies were ripping me and the wife off for at least a couple of years. My fault for letting the wife pay the bills, automatically. That won't happen again.

If you don't have recent teenagers in the house, you probably missed the days when a $300 bill shows up.. Even AFTER you've chatted up the son or daughter about responsible use. These pirates KNEW how to pummel you with outrageous rules. Cell phone technology replaces a lot of services and tools -- but it's STILL not worth $150 or $200 that I know that many families are paying..

I''m cheap when it comes to the phones. I'm not a big talker at all. When we had dsl we had a bobo verizon phone plan (landline); the less we called the less we paid, the more we called the more we paid. Switched to Xfinity triple play, pay $30/month (landline) can call anywhere. Ok. I have a Virgin Mobile flip phone, works for what I need (not much, emergencies and such), am grandfathered in from my original plan (25 cents/min first 10 min/ 10 cents/min after that, have to top-up $20 every 90 days. I don't use the cell much but I do use it. Texting is a pita on it though. I have an ipod touch and can 'message' my daughter's iphone, no plan or anything needed between apple products. Other kid has an old smartphone (not an apple product). Via Xfinity, she (or anyone) can text our home (landline) number and I get the text on my ipod. Sweet and free.

If you don't have recent teenagers in the house, you probably missed the days when a $300 bill shows up.. Even AFTER you've chatted up the son or daughter about responsible use. These pirates KNEW how to pummel you with outrageous rules. Cell phone technology replaces a lot of services and tools -- but it's STILL not worth $150 or $200 that I know that many families are paying..

I let my youngest borrow my cell phone a few years back for a day. I told her not to text on it, I wanted to be able to get a hold of her. I didn't have any data plan, it was 15 cents per text sent and 15 cents per text received. She spent $75 texting. I took the last of her birthday money ($60) to pay that bill! Yeah, that was the last she used my phone for a long time.

Oh yeah I got those bills and had to do some sever counseling. Dad is a grumpy miser.

I''m cheap when it comes to the phones. I'm not a big talker at all. When we had dsl we had a bobo verizon phone plan (landline); the less we called the less we paid, the more we called the more we paid. Switched to Xfinity triple play, pay $30/month (landline) can call anywhere. Ok. I have a Virgin Mobile flip phone, works for what I need (not much, emergencies and such), am grandfathered in from my original plan (25 cents/min first 10 min/ 10 cents/min after that, have to top-up $20 every 90 days. I don't use the cell much but I do use it. Texting is a pita on it though. I have an ipod touch and can 'message' my daughter's iphone, no plan or anything needed between apple products. Other kid has an old smartphone (not an apple product). Via Xfinity, she (or anyone) can text our home (landline) number and I get the text on my ipod. Sweet and free.

In the end, what are you paying per month?

I went to the local walmart and they had a woman promoting Straight Talk, wasn't really doing a very good job of it but she was nice.

So I asked her what it would cost and she showed me a procure. The plan I have now it said would cost 107 dollars and their plan would be somewhere in the range of 1/2 that. I pointed out that indeed that is about what I pay a month but that is for two cell phones with unlimited talk and text and an ipad with 2 GBs of data. So without all the regulation charges I am paying 30-30-10 with 38 for data. Which if I read what she had right it is either very close to the same or lower with my plan actually covering where I live and I am not sure about picture texts. My wife uses the crap out of that feature with the grandchildren. I thought that maybe I used the phone at the most 100 minutes, turns out I used it about 260 minutes last month. Between the both of us we sent about 1300 total text.

Now that I know I can buy phones off of ebay and use them with my plan I am thinking that what I got is OK, except for the 38 dollars for data.

My carrier told me that there is a difference in how phones use data. I am thinking that is BS, time used is all that should really matter.

I let my youngest borrow my cell phone a few years back for a day. I told her not to text on it, I wanted to be able to get a hold of her. I didn't have any data plan, it was 15 cents per text sent and 15 cents per text received. She spent $75 texting. I took the last of her birthday money ($60) to pay that bill! Yeah, that was the last she used my phone for a long time.

Yep, that is where they get you if you like to text.

I really wish I could find a web site that a person could plug in their use and the different plans were compared.

I went to the local walmart and they had a woman promoting Straight Talk, wasn't really doing a very good job of it but she was nice.

So I asked her what it would cost and she showed me a procure. The plan I have now it said would cost 107 dollars and their plan would be somewhere in the range of 1/2 that. I pointed out that indeed that is about what I pay a month but that is for two cell phones with unlimited talk and text and an ipad with 2 GBs of data. So without all the regulation charges I am paying 30-30-10 with 38 for data. Which if I read what she had right it is either very close to the same or lower with my plan actually covering where I live and I am not sure about picture texts. My wife uses the crap out of that feature with the grandchildren. I thought that maybe I used the phone at the most 100 minutes, turns out I used it about 260 minutes last month. Between the both of us we sent about 1300 total text.

Now that I know I can buy phones off of ebay and use them with my plan I am thinking that what I got is OK, except for the 38 dollars for data.

My carrier told me that there is a difference in how phones use data. I am thinking that is BS, time used is all that should really matter.

I pay about $7/month (I have to top-up $20 every 90 days OR whenever my balance hits $5). I don't use the phone much so at this point I just top-up the $20 every 90 days, which is $80/year. Cheap! But this Virgin Mobile plan I have is grandfathered in, they no longer offer it. The next cheapest plan where I can keep the phone I have is their unlimited text/talk/data, lowest of those is $35/month -- which comes out to $450/year. Compared to what I pay now and that I don't use it all that much, I'm sticking with the plan I have. Cheap!

Virgin Mobile does offer unlimited text/talk/data:

Prepaid Unlimited Data Messaging Plans - Beyond Talk Plans Virgin Mobile

They also offer Paylo plans:

payLo Pay As You Go Talk Text Plans Virgin Mobile

They just came out with this "Custom" plan (you have to buy one of their "Custom" phones that are only available at Walmart). I like this plan because you can tweak it whenever you want and if you're more of a texter but don't use data or talk much, you can create a plan that reflects that, or if you're more of a data user but don't use text at all or talk much, you can create a plan that reflects those things, etc. Check it out.

Build Your Own Phone Plan With Virgin Mobile Custom Virgin Mobile USA

None of VM plans are contract, which is a big plus for me. I don't like being tied into a contract because if something better comes along I will switch.

No, I don't work for VM. I've just had their pay-as-you-go service for 10 years and like it.

I really wish I could find a web site that a person could plug in their use and the different plans were compared.

Yeah, she didn't have on her listening ears when I told her not to text. She's 17 and just got a cell phone (her older sister's 5 yr old droid. She just got a job, we refused to pay for a phone for our kids, they're just not a necessity) and is using a verizon pay-as-you-go card for $45/month. When she turns 18 she wants to get a Samsung Galaxy with a contract. Who knows what that will be. My oldest pays something like $80/month. Ridiculous if you ask me.

I pay about $7/month (I have to top-up $20 every 90 days OR whenever my balance hits $5). I don't use the phone much so at this point I just top-up the $20 every 90 days, which is $80/year. Cheap! But this Virgin Mobile plan I have is grandfathered in, they no longer offer it. The next cheapest plan where I can keep the phone I have is their unlimited text/talk/data, lowest of those is $35/month -- which comes out to $450/year. Compared to what I pay now and that I don't use it all that much, I'm sticking with the plan I have. Cheap!

Virgin Mobile does offer unlimited text/talk/data:

Prepaid Unlimited Data Messaging Plans - Beyond Talk Plans Virgin Mobile

They also offer Paylo plans:

payLo Pay As You Go Talk Text Plans Virgin Mobile

They just came out with this "Custom" plan (you have to buy one of their "Custom" phones that are only available at Walmart). I like this plan because you can tweak it whenever you want and if you're more of a texter but don't use data or talk much, you can create a plan that reflects that, or if you're more of a data user but don't use text at all or talk much, you can create a plan that reflects those things, etc. Check it out.

Build Your Own Phone Plan With Virgin Mobile Custom Virgin Mobile USA

None of VM plans are contract, which is a big plus for me. I don't like being tied into a contract because if something better comes along I will switch.

No, I don't work for VM. I've just had their pay-as-you-go service for 10 years and like it.

I looked at Virgin first. What I saw was that I could get a plan for 30 bucks a month with limited talk, text and data. With the text my wife uses it would have cost 150 dollars last month with that plan. So I look up on knotch and it would cost 35 dollars but the data is limited so I would be paying more for that.

That said, I want to actually TALK to someone and tell them what I use and have them tell me what it would cost using their plan. That ain't gonna happen at Walmart, maybe radioshack. I wish they had online chat. What you describe sound good and I will definitely look into Virgin again.

Yeah, she didn't have on her listening ears when I told her not to text. She's 17 and just got a cell phone (her older sister's 5 yr old droid. She just got a job, we refused to pay for a phone for our kids, they're just not a necessity) and is using a verizon pay-as-you-go card for $45/month. When she turns 18 she wants to get a Samsung Galaxy with a contract. Who knows what that will be. My oldest pays something like $80/month. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Asking teenagers not to text is against the UN sanction concerning cruel and unusual punishment. The CIA found that by denying texting they could get more secrets then by waterboarding. :D

My oldest (24) uses texting as it should be used ... to let someone know they're on their way home from a trip, to double check something, to say 'hey, do you need anything at the store'. Stuff like that. She doesn't hold conversations via text. My youngest (17 1/2) is the opposite and will text back/forth with her friends very frequently. I hate it. She's not as bad as some, maybe because she didn't have a phone at age 10 ... but still.

Asking teenagers not to text is against the UN sanction concerning cruel and unusual punishment. The CIA found that by denying texting they could get more secrets then by waterboarding. :D

Big 4 are having to start competing somewhat due to economy. Was with Verizon for yrs. 4 smart phones would have run me $250 plus tax and that was after 17% discount on my line. Went over to T-mobile they paid off our contract and now I pay $197 total, unlimited talk and text and I think 2-3 gigs of data we never use all of. When I get the phones paid off the bill reduces, that would never have happened under Verizon. Since we switched other carriers have initiated the same or better deals including unlimited data.

I think most of the providers that have monthly "all inclusive" rates have gotten real close to each other's rules. More of a service issue today than it was 10 years ago. For awhile, my daughter had to ASK her friends if they were on Verizon, because the MBAs at Verizon brilliantly made the "on-carrier free" texting rule. Imagine choosing your boyfriends based on what wireless carrier their parents chose for them !!! :lmao:

So -- today -- you are either pay as you go or monthly. And I don't think there's much diff anymore in monthly per phone pkgs with similar features.

(unless you are watching movies on a 5" screen or just have to be streaming internet to your phone constantly)

Hey, folks, you get addicted to anything and you're at the mercy of your pusher.

You bought into the cellphone addiction so make a few extra calls....y'know, just shoot up a bit more....and the pain will go away.

Forum List

Back