A directory of cell phone numbers will soon be published for all consumers
to have access to. This will open the doors for solicitors to call you on
your cell phones, using up the precious minutes that we pay lots
of money for!

The Federal Trade Commission has set up a "do not call" list. It is called a
cell phone registry. To be included on the "do not call" list, you must call
from the number you wish to register. The number is 1-888-382-1222 OR you
can go to their web site at www.donotcall.gov
and add your number to the do not call list.
Give this to friends who have cell phones.

Also remember if you are switching companies you can now take your number with you! You can even change your land line number to a cell phone number.

no1tovote4 said:
Also remember if you are switching companies you can now take your number with you! You can even change your land line number to a cell phone number.
BUT DON'T CANCEL THE ONE YA WANT TO PORT (move to another Co.)..before you start the new service.

Mr. P said:
BUT DON'T CANCEL THE ONE YA WANT TO PORT (move to another Co.)..before you start the new service.

No, simply contact the new company they will take care of the porting of your number. If you change your mind remember to contact only the company you originally placed the order to port your number to as well.

no1tovote4 said:
No, simply contact the new company they will take care of the porting of your number. If you change your mind remember to contact only the company you originally placed the order to port your number to as well.
True..but if you close the account with the port number before that new company is contacted yer out of luck.
It's safe to give it a few days.

O..I see I mis-typed a post or so above...Get the new service before you cancel the old. Or a least be sure they have your number in hand.

Mr. P said:
True..but if you close the account with the port number before that new company is contacted yer out of luck.
It's safe to give it a few days.

O..I see I mis-typed a post or so above...Get the new service before you cancel the old. Or a least be sure they have your number in hand.

Well, if before it actually ports to the new company you want to cancel the port you need to contact the company that you wanted to port to. Since they originally entered the port order with the LEC or CLEC they are the ones that need to cancel it. If you contact them before the number ports they can cancel the order and you are back to the original company with no fuss.

no1tovote4 said:
Well, if before it actually ports to the new company you want to cancel the port you need to contact the company that you wanted to port to. Since they originally entered the port order with the LEC or CLEC they are the ones that need to cancel it. If you contact them before the number ports they can cancel the order and you are back to the original company with no fuss.

I know. My whole point was you must get the ball rolling with the new co. BEFORE you cancel the old in order to port. Otherwise there is no number to port..lots of folks don't understand that.

Mr. P said:
I know. My whole point was you must get the ball rolling with the new co. BEFORE you cancel the old in order to port. Otherwise there is no number to port..lots of folks don't understand that.

Actually you shouldn't even cancel at all with the old. Your new company will do that all for you.

(This is what I actually do for a living.)

I have been on the no call list for a while. I wonder if you can have your cell phone number as an unlisted number...... seems a call to my service provider is in order.

Forum List

Back