Celebrity Obama--misses 100th Aniversary Boy Scouts to go onto the "View"!

President Obama will make history as the first sitting president on a daytime talk show when he visits with the ladies of "The View." But he'll be missing out on another historic occasion -- the Boy Scouts' Jamboree marking the group's 100th anniversary, right in the president's backyard.

The Jamboree kicked off this week at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, where organizers had invited the president to speak to the 45,000 scouts in attendance. All three of Obama's predecessors have made it to one Jamboree while in office.

FOXNews.com - Obama Missing Historic Boy Scout Jamboree for Fundraisers, 'View' Taping

If someone would have told me ten years ago that we would have a sitting President that would prefer to get on a liberal--histerical woman's talk show--versus going to the 100th anniversary jamboree of the Boy Scouts--I would have never believed it. But, in rhetrospect what else could we have expected from this "celebrity/rockstar" President?

Note the bold
"All three of Obama's predecessors have made it to ONE Jamboree while in office"

So what you're saying is that it's OK for a president to skip a jamboree so long as he attends at least one during his presidency? OK, so what's your problem?

Food for thought.

Obama says he likes young boys?

Obama to sue Boy Scouts over thrifty law

Obama earns the Saved/Created merit badge!

Obama pledges to end the Boy Scouts by 2012

Obama asks ACORN to register Boy Scouts

Wow, one of you actually admits it.

Admits what? I just threw out some ideas.

I am not quite sure what Obama has against the Boy Scouts of America? But certainly by missing the ONE HUNDRED'th anniversary Boy Scout jamboree to go on a "daily" celebrity talk show--says he does. Or is it possible that he likes to be a celebrity sitting around 5 histerical--women who all speak at once--:lol::lol:

Who knows maybe he'll win an Emmy award for this--kind of like he did the Pulitzer peace prise?

President Obama will make history as the first sitting president on a daytime talk show when he visits with the ladies of "The View." But he'll be missing out on another historic occasion -- the Boy Scouts' Jamboree marking the group's 100th anniversary, right in the president's backyard.

The Jamboree kicked off this week at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, where organizers had invited the president to speak to the 45,000 scouts in attendance. All three of Obama's predecessors have made it to one Jamboree while in office.

FOXNews.com - Obama Missing Historic Boy Scout Jamboree for Fundraisers, 'View' Taping

If someone would have told me ten years ago that we would have a sitting President that would prefer to get on a liberal--histerical woman's talk show--versus going to the 100th anniversary jamboree of the Boy Scouts--I would have never believed it. But, in rhetrospect what else could we have expected from this "celebrity/rockstar" President?

Note the bold
"All three of Obama's predecessors have made it to ONE Jamboree while in office"

So what you're saying is that it's OK for a president to skip a jamboree so long as he attends at least one during his presidency? OK, so what's your problem?

Food for thought.

I kind of doubt the Boy Scouts have celebrated their 100th three times. Obama is 0 for 2 so far.

Credit where it's due. Thank you Mr. President. Hopefully, some of the bashers on this board will take this message to heart.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obtkCHhJ_q8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - President Obama Addresses 2010 National Scout Jamboree[/ame]

I'll admit to having not read all 6 pages on this thread. I've been around here long enough to know who is going to fall on either side of this "issue".

My flight back from Jamboree landed at 4:00 PM yesterday. I also attended the 2005 Jamboree as an Assistant Scoutmaster when Bush made an appearance. My personal opinion, it is my sincere wish that the BSA never ever invite any President to the Jamboree. Until you've experienced the disruption that a Presidential visit creates, you have no idea what a freaking hassle it is. Jamboree is not a cheap experience. Families pay a huge amount of money to send their son(s). The cost for Jamboree for our council's contingent was $3,000. We had a husband and wife serve as the Scoutmaster and one of the Assistant Scoutmasters for their troop along with there two sons. They paid $12,000 to attend. Jamboree is 10 days in length, but you spend your first day getting on base and setting up camp and your last day breaking camp and getting off base. You can't even begin to imagine all that is available for the scouts to do at Jamboree. It is impossible to see or do it all. Throw in a visit by the President, and you've pretty much blown a whole day out of the water.

Here is how it went in 2005 when Bush showed up. It was a black flag day where all events shut down because of the heat. We are supposed to seek shade and drink water. But the President was coming, we couldn't reschedule the show. Against the medical staff and military's wishes, the BSA brass decided the show had to go on. Now, the actual show doesn't begin until 8 PM. We had lunch at 11 AM and dinner at 2 PM because we had to "mobilize" at 3 PM. Mobilize means that all the scouts in the 4 regions which contained 20 sub-camps had to line up to march on asphalt roads up to 4 miles in a 112 degree heat index. Why did we have to start at 3 PM when the show was at 8 PM. Well, you have about 45,000 people you have to manage and organize so they are not all on top of each other willy nilly and because the columns move slow. You want to get them all into the arena ahead of time so you can start on time. Of course, you get there anywhere between 5 and 7 PM and sit crossed leg on the ground shoulder to should and back to front in the 112 degree heat for the next couple of hours. Boys and adults were dropping like flies on what has become the infamous "Jamboree Death March".

Because the President was going to be there, the rules were changing every 15 minutes. First, we could have a few daypacks of snacks only. Then we couldn't have any. Then we could have one for the whole troop. Second, we couldn't bring water bottles. Then we could bring water bottles. Then we could bring them, but they had to be empty when we passed security on the way into the arena. First, there would be no water available in the arena and then there would. Of course, every single one of the 45,000 people had to go thru metal detectors to enter the arena. Then we got to sit in the arena with snipers and armed guards on top of trailers watching the tree line thru giant binoculars.

Because the President was coming, the BSA put people's health into serious jeopardy and denied them to get the full value of what they paid for the Jamboree experience. Is it cool for a kid to be able to say that he say a real live President? Of course it is. However, all things considered, is it worth the hassle? No.

Having been to one Jamboree where a President attended and one where he didn't, I'd prefer that the BSA never invite them and if they do, he turns them down. It just isn't worth it. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Forum List

Back