Celebrity Blogs: Added Value?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Well, I find Pat Sajak's columns interesting. If all the celebrities did as good a job as he does, I would read them.

Celebrity Bloggers? That's Stephen King-Scary
By Joel Stein for The Los Angeles Times
May 15, 2005

You idiots can worry about outsourcing to India and China. I know where our jobs are really going. To celebrities. Two years ago, I lost a job writing a weekly column on the back page of Entertainment Weekly to Stephen King. Sure, writing a column isn't all that hard, but I thought I was better at it than King, if only because he covers movies when they open in Maine.

Still, I think his columns are more interesting than mine because he gets to report the thoughts of Stephen King. You can't help but wonder what Stephen King will think of the last "Everybody Loves Raymond." I'm guessing he'll be disappointed, unless Frank finally decapitates Marie.

But now there is an army of Kings threatening my livelihood. Arianna Huffington has gotten every famous liberal celebrity — which is everyone besides Bo Derek — to write columns on her blog, huffingtonpost.com, which debuted last week. And if you think people in Bangalore work cheap, celebs write columns for free.

The blogs on Huffington's site are not edited or all that coherent, and yet I can't keep from reading all of them: John Cusack on Hunter S. Thompson's funeral, Quincy Jones on how Michael Jackson can't handle fame, David Mamet on blogging, Robert Evans' bizarre philosophy on why it's important to try everything three times, which is particularly weird because he was married five times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-op-stein15may15,1,5116747.column

Writer/director/actor Zach Braff's blog is great, he seems really down to earth and cool (it's right here , if you're curious). On the other hand, I read the blog of Blink 182's guitar player and it was about as interesting as you could imagine a super rich California punk's blog would be (in other words, LAME!!). It really depends on the celebrity, I think.

I'll agree that it probably does depend on the celebrity. The only one I have read is Pat Sajak, unless you count Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Joe Scarborough, etc. as celebrities.

Forum List

Back