Celebrities backing candidates

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
Does it bug you as much as it bugs me when they think what they have to say means anything or that we want to hear their opinion?

I understand that their $$$ is important to the candidate .....

.... but does anyone really care what Oprah, Will Ferrell, Jodie Foster, Leonardo DiCaprio, Steven Spielberg, Barrbra Streisand, Jane Fonda, Susan Surrandon, or Sean Penn thinks about anything when it comes to who we are going to elect as our next President? :doubt:

Yes, Barack showed up at Barbara Striesand's party yesterday. The per single plate dinner $27,000.00 each. You're right, who cares what celebrites have to say. They do not live in the same world we do.

Yes, Barack showed up at Barbara Striesand's party yesterday. The per single plate dinner $27,000.00 each. You're right, who cares what celebrites have to say. They do not live in the same world we do.

Ahhh .... you editied your answer. You did get it. lol

Barack's nothing but a celebrity himself. His books are more popular than his legislation. He's more an author-turned-politician than a politician that wrote a book.

Does it bug you as much as it bugs me when they think what they have to say means anything or that we want to hear their opinion?

.... but does anyone really care what Oprah, Will Ferrell, Jodie Foster, Leonardo DiCaprio, Steven Spielberg, Barrbra Streisand, Jane Fonda, Susan Surrandon, or Sean Penn thinks about anything when it comes to who we are going to elect as our next President? :doubt:

Nope. It's just the way it works out.

Obama has in his camp:

Barbara Streisand
Will Ferrell
Jodie Foster
Leonardo DiCaprio
Jamie Lee Curtis
Steven Spielberg
David Geffen
Jeffrey Katzenberg
Sean Penn

McCain has in his camp:

Stephen Baldwin
Pat Boone
Wilford Brimley
Dean Cain
Jon Cryer
Robert Duvall
Angie Harmon
Patricia Heaton
Lorenzo Lamas
Craig T. Nelson
Gail O’Grady
Jason Sehorn
Gary Sinise
Jon Voight

They of course are entitled to their opinion and both candidates want their money, but their opinions on their candidates are of no consequence to me.

Both McCain and Obama will smooze with the celebrities to get the dough and both traveled to Hollywood to brush elbows with the stars to get it.

Last edited:

No it doesn't bother me. like Ravi said, they are just as entitled to their opinion as the rest of us, they just have a very public format with which to express that opinion. I wish I had a format like that.

I'm always interested to see which way my favorite actor/actress leans politically. Their opinion doesn't change my mind, either about my choice or about them but it is fun to know.

Sadly in our celebrity obsessed world many people DO look to celebrities for guidance as to who they should vote for, this is the only aspect of it that I dislike but the celebrities themselves can not control that.

Barack's nothing but a celebrity himself. His books are more popular than his legislation. He's more an author-turned-politician than a politician that wrote a book.

sometimes you say things that just boggle the imagination js. Remind me again, how many books has McCain writen? FOUR isn't it? is this just more jealousy rearing it's ugly little head because Obama won Grammy's for his? :lol:

Last edited:
No it doesn't bother me. like Ravi said, they are just as entitled to their opinion as the rest of us, they just have a very public format with which to express that opinion. I wish I had a format like that.

I'm always interested to see which way my favorite actor/actress leans politically. Their opinion doesn't change my mind, either about my choice or about them but it is fun to know.

Sadly in our celebrity obsessed world many people DO look to celebrities for guidance as to who they should vote for, this is the only aspect of it that I dislike but the celebrities themselve can not control that.

:lol: If I was doing something that a celebrity recommended I would immediately stop and re-examine it.

Last edited:
I cant stand it when they come out publicly and act like someone should be listening to them. Their vote means no more than mine and their interests are much different than mine. Well take your money but thats it.

I cant stand it when they come out publicly and act like someone should be listening to them. Their vote means no more than mine and their interests are much different than mine. Well take your money but thats it.

but here you are, on a public forum, expressing your views like anyone gives a fuck what you say, acting like someone should be listening to you! your vote means no more than anyone elses and your interests aren't any different as you say, but you still like to express yourself and your views don't you?!

Right or wrong people like to hear what celebrities have to say.

but here you are, on a public forum, expressing your views like anyone gives a fuck what you say, acting like someone should be listening to you! your vote means no more than anyone elses and your interests aren't any different as you say, but you still like to express yourself and your views don't you?!

gotta point there---so THAT'S why campaigners are so boring !!

This is a forum for debate. I dont create posts that say

"Jschuck12001 is for this(insert policy of your choice) and this is why I think everyone should feel the way I do. So yes, I like to express my view but the question was how do you feel about it and I said what I said, if you dont like it then go F yourself. There, I just stated how I feel towards you.

If they are running for President (Reagan) I will listen. I listened to Arnold and look what it got me! :eusa_eh: The rest of them have about as much input as mud drying in the heat of the sun.

As far as we that share our opinion, here on the USMB .... we are not doing it for the celebrity of it .... :rolleyes: or are you :confused:

lol :D

If they are running for President (Reagan) I will listen. I listened to Arnold and look what it got me! :eusa_eh: The rest of them have about as much input as mud drying in the heat of the sun.

As far as we that share our opinion, here on the USMB .... we are not doing it for the celebrity of it .... :rolleyes: or are you :confused:

lol :D

actually I am :D

so basically you think that because they are famous they give up their right to free speech because you don't want to hear it? Are they forcing you to listen? are they forcing you to agree? do you also take exception to celebrities endorsing charities? when they get on and do a telethon to raise awareness and money for a cause they believe in, is that offensive too?

You know......Sarah Palin (McInsane's secret weapon) has proven HERSELF that she is also a celebrity......

On one of her last rallies she spent more time signing autographs than she did speaking.

WHO is the celebrity again?

You know......Sarah Palin (McInsane's secret weapon) has proven HERSELF that she is also a celebrity......

On one of her last rallies she spent more time signing autographs than she did speaking.

WHO is the celebrity again?

so true because everyone knows she didn't earn her status being the mayor of the meth captial of alaska or the gov of a state with fewer people than the county I live in.

actually I am :D

so basically you think that because they are famous they give up their right to free speech because you don't want to hear it? Are they forcing you to listen? are they forcing you to agree? do you also take exception to celebrities endorsing charities? when they get on and do a telethon to raise awareness and money for a cause they believe in, is that offensive too?

You are right. I have a remote control for my television and I know how to use it. But when it comes to celebrities and politics .... it makes strange bedfellows. This is my opinion of coarse. Now ... since YOU are a celebrity I am sure it is different. You wouldn't want to be left out of thier big money making campaign event's would you? :eusa_eh: You just might miss the shirmp and the booze! lol :lol:

Yes, they have the right to "free speech" - but do they actually say anything worth listening to? A telethon is different. They are doing it for the good of the cause, not because they think it will make them more popular in some one's eyes. :eusa_hand: Jane Fonda was a great example of that. She was full of BULL SHIT!

Please note that I did not single out celebrities in my original post ... I would not want to be accused of picking one candidate over another when it comes to this. :doubt:

Carry on. :lol:

Forum List

Back